Hard Shifting ZF8 on 2015 1500 Update - Final

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjjefferson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for the delayed update.....the flu SUX! Anyways.... the dealership replaced the entire trans mission and I picked it up on Saturday. She runs like brand new now. No hard shifts from 3rd - 4th. It's not hanging in 2nd gear in stop-n-go beltway traffic either.

It took a couple of weeks....but Chrysler made it right. The dealership was easy to work with and once codes started popping....they were eager to get that old trans out of there. They mentioned having the video was nice because they could send that straight to ZF and there wasn't any arguing.

Happy to be back in the 1500....no I can fix my 19 year old Durango which filled in admirably for her age. 175K miles on it now....and I think I can make it to 200K easily :)

JJ

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I take it you went 175,000 miles on that 8-speed before it needed attention? Did you ever have the fluid and filter changed or did you follow the instructions to the T set forth by FCA about that trans having a lifetime fill?

Also, I take it you have lifetime warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I take it you went 175,000 miles on that 8-speed before it needed attention? Did you ever have the fluid and filter changed or did you follow the instructions to the T set forth by FCA about that trans having a lifetime fill?

Also, I take it you have lifetime warranty?

I think the 175k was on the Durango not the Ram??????

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This.

The original thread said the trans had 45K miles on it once the harsh 3-4 started occurring.

Hmm, didn’t know there was another thread pertaining to this but dang, a shifting issue that lead to a trans replacement at 45k?....[emoji51]

Edited to add;

I think I would’ve just updated my original thread.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, didn’t know there was another thread pertaining to this but dang, a shifting issue that lead to a trans replacement at 45k?....[emoji51]

Edited to add;

I think I would’ve just updated my original thread.

I dont disagree with you on either count.

As for the actual transmission issue and replacement, this one was a bit different than the typical "getting a clunk when going from 2-1". It involved 3-4 which I dont think Ive ever seen any people complain about. It was easily reproduce able and eventually even threw codes. I say it warranted a replacement.

Whereas the typical downshift "bump" Im pretty convinced is bad learned data and the typical response (replace valve body) only "works" because part of the valve body replacement is to wipe out the learned data and do a re-learn. Which will fix the bump for a random amount of time but lots of people come back (months later) saying it's doing the same thing again. A week or two (and surely not the day you pick the truck up from being fixed) is not enough time to call it fixed if there is an adaptation process involved.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Glad to hear this was resolved!

Anyone have the original thread link? I cannot find it now ...

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Whereas the typical downshift "bump" Im pretty convinced is bad learned data
How to relearn the Transmission Control Module?
Just leave battery disconnected over night, or is there a different way to reset the way the transmission shift.
Chris

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
Whereas the typical downshift "bump" Im pretty convinced is bad learned data
How to relearn the Transmission Control Module?
Just leave battery disconnected over night, or is there a different way to reset the way the transmission shift.
Chris

I have the 2-1 bump on my 2017 and disconnecting the battery for a few hours did not change shifting, radio, time, trip meter or anything electronic at all. I'm not sure where there appears to be another battery but I couldn't find it. In radio/screen maybe?

I asked the dealer, a worker there (could be wrong) told me disconnecting the battery does not wipe any shifting memory.

If anyone knows how a person can clear the shifting themselves let me know.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally have not tested it but the AlfaOBD app does expose a "Quick learn" process in the gearbox settings.

I would caution anyone trying it, but if someone DOES try it, please report back your results. Very interested to know if it does work.

BTW, the service manual lays out the process pretty well and its pretty time consuming and particular about RPM ranges, input torque (which Im guessing is based on load), etc. Once the adaptive values are reset you have to get each "clutch" to fill a certain amount of times under specific conditions or else the relearn will be cancelled. Basically its a PITA and I can see why a dealer might not want to do it under warranty (labor time in the service manual is more than 2 hours!)

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the 2-1 bump on my 2017 and disconnecting the battery for a few hours did not change shifting, radio, time, trip meter or anything electronic at all. I'm not sure where there appears to be another battery but I couldn't find it. In radio/screen maybe?

I asked the dealer, a worker there (could be wrong) told me disconnecting the battery does not wipe any shifting memory.

If anyone knows how a person can clear the shifting themselves let me know.
Isn't your truck still under warranty? Why not take it to dealer & let the reflash it for free?

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
Isn't your truck still under warranty? Why not take it to dealer & let the reflash it for free?

Without going in to an insane person rant... I'll just say, I have been trying.

It's been at the dealer since Monday. Today is Saturday. Only to say they do not feel the shifting issue. This is the second visit, I've asked them both times to wipe the memory either way, reflash, relearn whatever. first they say that can't be done, now I asked a second person on the phone there without response.

I think it's a lengthy process because they really don't seem to want to do it.

I'm just gonna go get the truck today, this is the 6th day without a vehicle I assume nothing is being done.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can you get it on video? They can't deny it's happening then.

OP
OP
jjjefferson

jjjefferson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for the late response.... I couldn't update the original post. I tried but for some reason any update to it would fail. So I just posted a new thread. Yeah....not ideal....but the only thing I could have done. I know when I follow a post....I like to see a conclusion. So I put "final" in the header to indicate this was part of another posting.

Bottom line...it started around 45K miles as an annoyance, then got worse at 52K...eventually replaced at 55K because. (Note: I drive about 500 miles per week so they add up fast. )

Yes, I was driving my old 2000 Durango in the interim.....she's old, rough and rides like a tank. But she'll do in a pinch :p That RF45E hasn't had an issue .... EVER :)

JJ