Hard time shifting from park in the mornings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgalea02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
For context I have a 2014 ram 2500 does anyone else have a hard time shifting from park in the mornings it only happens in the mornings and from they it’s fine I do remote start it so that it can warm up but it makes no difference has anyone gone thru this and if so what have you done to fix it ( also I’ve already broken and replaced the gear shifter bracket)

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if parking on an incline set your parking brake before taking your foot off the brake pedal
I've noticed that doesn't really do much with mine. It still eases forward a couple inches.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You may need to have the parking brake adjusted. Mine does not move once the parking brake is applied.
Exactly this ^. You may need to have your parking brake tightened. I use mine every time I park on the slightest incline to take the pressure off the tranny. I usually need to have it adjusted every oil change because I use it so much. It also prevents the difficulty of shifting out of park.

Adam

OP
OP
D

Dgalea02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Are you parking on an incline ?
I do have a little play with it yesterday when I was replacing the gearshift bracket it was very playful like I could move it around but it would go back to place

OP
OP
D

Dgalea02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
For context I have a 2014 ram 2500 does anyone else have a hard time shifting from park in the mornings it only happens in the mornings and from they it’s fine I do remote start it so that it can warm up but it makes no difference has anyone gone thru this and if so what have you done to fix it ( also I’ve already broken and replaced the gear shifter bracket)
Also for you guys saying it might be because of an incline my dad has a 2013 3500 and we park next to each other and he doesn’t have that issue

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, Yes When I first bought my 2500 diesel(used 45k miles) I had this same problem. I ALWAYS set parking brake , neutral, let roll, park. So i knew it wasn't the parking pawl binding. I took it to the dealer and did a transmission flush, drain and fill and was surprised as it was immediately better,

Granted i also did coolant flush/drain/fill, power steering, rear dif and brake drain and fill aswell.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I do not think it has anything to do where he is parked mine has done this mostly when its colder it the mornings. It is the park interlock cold makes the interlock arm stick and not want to retract I have had to try mine 5-10 times some mornings hitting brake each time to reactivate the park interlock then it finally loosens up enough to retract enough to get in gear replaced mine try this in video when it does it again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkEVj1dErGI also there was a recall for 2009-2017 ram Heavy duty truck for the shift interlock may be a free repair I just learned about the recall after the fact

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dgalea02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I do not think it has anything to do where he is parked mine has done this mostly when its colder it the mornings. It is the park interlock cold makes the interlock arm stick and not want to retract I have had to try mine 5-10 times some mornings hitting brake each time to reactivate the park interlock then it finally loosens up enough to retract enough to get in gear replaced mine try this in video when it does it again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkEVj1dErGI also there was a recall for 2009-2017 ram Heavy duty truck for the shift interlock may be a free repair I just learned about the recall after the fact
Thank you this actually helps out a lot

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine does it randomly and some weeks it's worse than others. It could be cold, it could be hot. It could be first thing in the morning or like today, after lunch. I think it's the interlock as @RamRod37 mentioned. I have to hit the brake, then release, then hit again or somewhat force it to shift... You're not alone.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Linkage may be binding or needing adjustment . If adjustable . If you have someone hold brake & block wheels. Unhook linkage & shift trans by hand under truck. That should tell you whether it’s trans or linkage

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mine does it on high incline parking. I've more recently figured out that putting the brake down hard and then setting the parking brake hard really helps alot and seems to take the tension off the tranny I guess. I did the recall several years ago when the shifter bracket broke and am trying not to break it again.....although the Maxcare warranty was bought just for little things like this.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have not run into a problem, but mine where center gear shifts or now 8 sp. Did have a 2005. don't remember having any problem, and I don't usually use the parking brake. It's all mainly flat around here.
The Honda will lock the gear shift lever ( on the dash) CRV if there is any pressure on the steering will, a little wiggle is all it takes. Has always been that way.

I wonder is a good shot of cleaner and lube would fix the problem, Or cleaner only?
Sound like used and cold, so dry oil/ grease with dirt mixed in could be the problem.

I would put rags / paper on the floor and spray the hell out of it with WD40 or? and all the linkage from top to the transmission and see what happens.
If it seems to work , them maybe take apart and really clean and maybe a dry lube .