Harman Kardon vs Alpine - Limited Level 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The limited units I saw had full digital, air suspension, 12" screen... but the surround view cameras and HK were part of a $5k package. IMHO Ram is behind the other MFG's on some of the options. In a trim level as high as the Limited, they should be included. A similarly outfitted GM or Toyota includes that stuff at a lower price point.

ramjam65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a used 2020 Ram Limited Night edition with everything. I had a 2500 Tradesman with nothing after having a Laramie Sport that was loaded and I missed some of the features. You’ll appreciate that Level One equipment package on long trips with the Adaptive Cruise Control. I use it all the time on the highway. The child protection braking has scared me a couple times, if you’re going in reverse and a dog or kid or fence or whatever is sensed it will slam on the brakes with audible alarms. I absolutely LOVE my truck though, drives like a Cadillac with the air ride, vented seats front/back are a big bonus here in Florida. I don’t need an electric back window or a sunroof, but it’s there. The leather wrapped dash is a little over the top, but I like how the steering wheel has a solid section.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
IMO the factory HK system isn't worth it if you don't mind doing some minor upgrades to the Alpine system. If you plan on never touching the truck then go for the HK and just disable ANC (Either with AlfaOBD or the ANC bypass harness). The configuration in the 19+1500's is slightly different than the HD's, but I've ridden in and worked on more than enough rams to experience both in stock and slightly modified configurations. In my experience the Alpine with upgraded speakers, some basic sound deadening, doing something subwoofer wise, and disabling ANC makes them sound quite a bit better than the stock HK system. That said nothing you do to either of them is going to make them anywhere close to audiophile grade until you replace their meh amp/dsp situation that's engineered around low cost stock speakers and the loss in frequency response due to ANC.

One month update... the Alpine system in the 2024 Limited SUCKS! Sounds TERRIBLE. Everything sounds "tinny"... like I'm listening to a 1980's Chinese boom box. There is no base... no range. The factory Alpine system in my 2014 blows this thing away. I couldn't be more disappointed.

I don't have time to do a lot of work.. but this thing is so bad I'm ready to drop Sirius XM and turn it off. What can I do to make this sound similar to my old system?

Honestly, with all the crap I've had to deal with I wish I had my old truck back.

Do yourself a favor... spend the 5 grand and get the better stereo, bedliner, in-bed lighting, etc. I was STUPID for not getting that package.
This will be the last vehicle I ever order. Never again will I trust a manufacturer - they've cheapened everything.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I always do aftermarket for audio. If you are serious about sound, I'd go that route. My Ram has the Alpine so it was easy to interface the aftermarket gear with the factory speaker wiring. If you're not to worried about Audio, then I'd just get a quality audio track and go listen to both at the dealer.

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
If you're seeking good audio quality......compressed satellite radio signal is not where it's at. Get yourself a usb drive and download music to it.

OP
OP
G

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That's a bit overkill for me. I'm 55 and have tinnitus (likely from Harley Davidson) - so high quality sound is likely beyond my perception.
Having said that, my wife and I can easily perceive a big difference between my new truck and; (1) my old truck with Alpine; (2) her 2016 Jeep GC Overland with Harman Kardon. We both actually thought my 2014 Laramie with Alpine had the best sound quality.

Just wondering if there's something wrong with my system that it sounds that bad. Does this have anything to do with the Active Noise Cancellation?

skates15

Reaction score
Upgrade the speakers. I also am streaming my music via aux which I think lives up the sound and in settings there is an option to add volume to.the aux input which is really great. I stream via spotify on my phone, which doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone output, so your output is via whatever USB port you charge with. Plug in a USB cable to 3.5mm headphone jack to the aux in. I think it is working well because I'm using a $16 USB DAC to liven the sound. The USB DAC plugs into your phone and.you plug the headphone cable into the DAC and aux in on the alpine. I plan to upgrade TBE DAC to.something which outputs a little more power and better DAC chip. Still, a very cheap upgrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007