Harness issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRamFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hello Cummins Fam, I’m new to this forum and to the Cummins fam, I took my truck to the dealer a few days ago due to a check engine light, service electronic throttle control to be exact. Today I got my truck back, the dealer is talking about replacing the harness and computer which is about $8000.00 plus they want to replace the harness first and take it from there, and if that doesn’t work the computer, which feels like a guessing diagnostic, I can’t afford to pay that much, so I’m taking the challenge to check the harness myself, I’m mechanical incline, I need help finding the wiring Schematics for this truck please. 2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie. so I can check which cable or cables are damage, I used my scanner today, I can see the second throttle control keeps cutting off and when that happens I loose pedal respond. Any help is very appreciated it thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is your warranty expired? That repair should be covered!!

OP
OP
J

JRamFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Is your warranty expired? That repair should be covered!!

Yes I have 106,000 miles I have a extended warranty not from the dealer, but it doesn’t cover harness or wiring.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What codes (numbers) are you getting?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I found the problem, wire #4 from the connector at the pedal. Making just enough contact to go undetected but finally found it. Thank you

Glad to hear you have it fixed. I was going to suggest using some Deoxit cleaner and preservative on the connector. That stuff works wonders for older wiring harnesses. The cleaner removes any surface corrosion that can impede electrical contact and preservative prevents future corrosion. I used on a $5000 aviation radio that did not switch channels properly. The radio shop wanted $2000 to overhaul the radio. One of the mechanics at the airfield told me about Deoxit and how to use it. He said they use it all the time on electrical maintenance for their fleet. Literally saves them 10's of thousands of dollars each year in repair costs and down time. Used it as directed and the radio has been working great for the past 3 years.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like that will be $4k to each of the posters above. :)