Harsh 2-1 downshift, "Jerk" or "bump" upon coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Noticed this with my 2016, as well. Hard to make it replicate itself, but seems to happen when coming to a slow stop.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It isn’t going away. I’ve been experiencing it since the HEMIs went to the 8 speed, starting with my 2012 SRT. It’s just how they behave.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2016 Ram 1500 has had this problem as well. The first time a computer update was done, that made it worse. The second time, the valve body assembly was replaced and that worked for about 5 weeks. We are now going in for a third time to dealer. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Safety Board hoping that Chrysler will finally make this a recall and take care of the problem once and for all. This is a dangerous jerk to have when coming to a stop on the road. Can't believe it hasn't caused an accident yet.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Having had so many cars with this, I don’t even feel it. I have “learned” to drive these transmissions and I may have the issue twice a year. The trick is to release brake pressure JUST BEFORE getting to a stop.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakearoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been reading about this 2-1 downshift bump problem and what the solutions have been if any as I have had a 2015 Sport CCLB with this issue. I have had the truck for about 4 months now, got it with 58k miles on it. Didn't notice it on the test drive but it popped up very quickly after I signed the papers, go figure! As I read about this it seems that it is about a 50-50 split that this is normal behavior, I call BS on that. I have about 8-9 months left of the power train warranty and was going to get it in for this and some other things as soon as I have a chance but in the meantime I have been researching fluid changes and the greasing of the driveshaft. I had the time a couple of days ago to drop the shaft and check it and have everything on hand to remove the boot and lube and put it back together. Upon taking it down I worked it a bit (without removing the boot) and at first it was a little stiff but felt pretty good after working it a bit, decided to just bolt it back up and took it for a ride and it was much better, in fact almost not there at all. The one thing that was most annoying and concerning to me was not the "downshift bump" but when going to accelerate upon letting off the brakes was that clunk/bump that felt like it was not in gear and then suddenly was. Anyway, that is completely gone, has not happened once since I did this. I will take it apart again and clean and lube the shaft as I am sure it will come back but I am happy that it feels much better.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been reading about this 2-1 downshift bump problem and what the solutions have been if any as I have had a 2015 Sport CCLB with this issue. I have had the truck for about 4 months now, got it with 58k miles on it. Didn't notice it on the test drive but it popped up very quickly after I signed the papers, go figure! As I read about this it seems that it is about a 50-50 split that this is normal behavior, I call BS on that. I have about 8-9 months left of the power train warranty and was going to get it in for this and some other things as soon as I have a chance but in the meantime I have been researching fluid changes and the greasing of the driveshaft. I had the time a couple of days ago to drop the shaft and check it and have everything on hand to remove the boot and lube and put it back together. Upon taking it down I worked it a bit (without removing the boot) and at first it was a little stiff but felt pretty good after working it a bit, decided to just bolt it back up and took it for a ride and it was much better, in fact almost not there at all. The one thing that was most annoying and concerning to me was not the "downshift bump" but when going to accelerate upon letting off the brakes was that clunk/bump that felt like it was not in gear and then suddenly was. Anyway, that is completely gone, has not happened once since I did this. I will take it apart again and clean and lube the shaft as I am sure it will come back but I am happy that it feels much better.

What cab size?

Is your rear driveshaft 2 piece?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crew Cab Long Bed, 2 piece rear shaft.

Yep, common issue. Same for my old truck (Nissan Frontier).

But lots of trucks with the "bump" are single piece driveshaft, like mine. I suppose it could be the main yoke into the xfer case or the u-joint at the rear diff.

C Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Finally got a diagnosis for the hard shift issue. Internal malfunction in the transmission. Updated the computer the first time (made it worse) changed the valve body assembly the second time (worked for 5 weeks) and now finally getting the transmission replaced. Let's hope this fixes the issue for good. Will keep everyone posted. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Love this truck and didn't want to lemon law it but that was where I was going if the third time at dealer didn't find anything.

Waterhouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 5.7 crew cab (short box) does this maybe 40% of the time and only after complete stop. Mine is a subtle “bump” as opposed to hard clank or jerk like some have mentioned. I bought it certified, off lease with 25k miles. My dealer told me on the test drive it was a downshift so I wasn’t that worried about it since I have 2 years left on power train warranty. As others have stated I can mostly control it by letting off the gas and gradually braking prior to a full stop. I believe this lets the trans cycle down to 1st more smoothly. If I come up on a stop more quickly it will typically bump into 1st. Often times I’ll slow roll thru a stop if I’m not in a heavy traffic area and I have no issues. I’ve had zero issues with accelerating. Been driving it about a month.

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out this thread:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/8-speed-transmission-problems-or-just-how-it-is.127975/

I have driven just over a 1000 miles and the issue seems to be fixed. I was having the same issue with my 2019 Classic Crew Cab short bed RWD. Read all details in my posts within the thread. Transmission re-learn, software upgrade/flash nothing helped.

Long story short, the dealership replaced by drive shaft and the bump/jerk is gone. Truck drives really well, no issues. Let me know if anybody has any questions.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I'm a one month Ram owner. Bought a CPO 17 with 7 k miles on it.
After a couple days of driving I started getting the thump, 10% (approx.) of the time when coming to a stop, 30% of the time starting out after sitting at a light for approx. 1 minute or more.
Been to the dealer 3 times, last time was when the district tech advisor was there. Bottom line, they replaced the driveshaft (haven't looked to see how many pieces it is) and no more thump. Been trying to make it do it for almost a week now and it is smooth as silk so far.
Knock on wood.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a one month Ram owner. Bought a CPO 17 with 7 k miles on it.
After a couple days of driving I started getting the thump, 10% (approx.) of the time when coming to a stop, 30% of the time starting out after sitting at a light for approx. 1 minute or more.
Been to the dealer 3 times, last time was when the district tech advisor was there. Bottom line, they replaced the driveshaft (haven't looked to see how many pieces it is) and no more thump. Been trying to make it do it for almost a week now and it is smooth as silk so far.
Knock on wood.

Hey Jay,

Any idea if you have the one-piece drive shaft?

rocket61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out this thread:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/8-speed-transmission-problems-or-just-how-it-is.127975/

I have driven just over a 1000 miles and the issue seems to be fixed. I was having the same issue with my 2019 Classic Crew Cab short bed RWD. Read all details in my posts within the thread. Transmission re-learn, software upgrade/flash nothing helped.

Long story short, the dealership replaced by drive shaft and the bump/jerk is gone. Truck drives really well, no issues. Let me know if anybody has any questions.

Do you have the bill handy? It should list all the part #'s used, would be super helpful!

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this issue happen often. Then i got a diablo sport with a PCM on my 2016 rebel and thier TCM tuned fixed the issue. I also bought a hemi fever tune with their TCM and it does not do this. If i restore the TCM to factory the issue comes back.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I felt like mine was software. Tow/haul would eliminate it. There was a driveshaft issue with these too.

It is like Ram tells all techs and service writers to not go on the internet and to pretend this is the first time you've ever heard about this issue. Almost there must be a work avoidance class during day 1 training. I wish my job would let me do that.

I upgraded to 5th Gen no problem since. Trans is tuned so much better overall, but also got 3.92 gears.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG