Has anyone experienced this battery issue before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure this is the same. I have woken up to a dead battery four times over the past six months. The battery takes a charge and is fine.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
Walmart AGM platinum h7 truck 5 year 100% replace battery. +2 years extension on Platinum Master Card. = 7years no fee warranty exchange.

Walmart has a computer battery tester. $1500 for their tester.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine died at under 2 years around 32k miles...at the beach no less where I was lucky to get a jump. No prior clues on battery weakening.

I have had a battery die with engine running years ago. As mentioned here, cell shorted out and caused just enough pause to the alternator where it killed the ignition system. (Back in the 90s on a GMC)

I think we've passed the time where you have the "luxury" of a slow crank to give you hints of coming failure. The threshold is much more a go/no-go in my experience with current systems (Effects of computerized systems having little tolerance for variance.)

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yesterday My boy was driving my truck and called me and said it just died while driving, engine off, dash lights going crazy. I had no tools to diagnose at the time but truck would not turn over the battery was also warm to the touch, more then i think it should be.....anyway we were 50 km's from home I decided to get a new battery and it fired right up all seems great now. Has anyone had a battery fail like that with no warning? Weird thing is I tested the voltage of the bad battery today and it had 12.7 volts. Battery posts were tight and clean when i removed the old battery....Bad cell maybe?

Back in 2013 I bought a brand new Longhorn and a few weeks later went to New Brunswick to visit my son ... The truck sat for a couple days and the night before I was going to return home to Ontario I decided to start it up and let in run for a few minutes ... It wouldn't start and not even with a boost ... Had roadside pick it up and took it to a dealership in Fredericton ... They put it on a charger, did a load test and couldn't fine anything wrong ... Got into Quebec and I got a low battery light flashing ... Made it back to ontario and took it into my local dealer and told them the story ... They re-checked the battery and it was defective, and replaced it ... Same thing happened with the replacement ... Went out and bought a $400 Northstar AGM battery and never had a problem after that ... I even put my Northstar in my 2017 when I traded the '13 in ... Not sure where FCA are getting their batteries, but I can guess ...

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in 2013 I bought a brand new Longhorn and a few weeks later went to New Brunswick to visit my son ... The truck sat for a couple days and the night before I was going to return home to Ontario I decided to start it up and let in run for a few minutes ... It wouldn't start and not even with a boost ... Had roadside pick it up and took it to a dealership in Fredericton ... They put it on a charger, did a load test and couldn't fine anything wrong ... Got into Quebec and I got a low battery light flashing ... Made it back to ontario and took it into my local dealer and told them the story ... They re-checked the battery and it was defective, and replaced it ... Same thing happened with the replacement ... Went out and bought a $400 Northstar AGM battery and never had a problem after that ... I even put my Northstar in my 2017 when I traded the '13 in ... Not sure where FCA are getting their batteries, but I can guess ...
My old battery would not take a boost also, like was mentioned above these seem to work or they don't, no in between.

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yesterday My boy was driving my truck and called me and said it just died while driving, engine off, dash lights going crazy. I had no tools to diagnose at the time but truck would not turn over the battery was also warm to the touch, more then i think it should be.....anyway we were 50 km's from home I decided to get a new battery and it fired right up all seems great now. Has anyone had a battery fail like that with no warning? Weird thing is I tested the voltage of the bad battery today and it had 12.7 volts. Battery posts were tight and clean when i removed the old battery....Bad cell maybe?
Had it happen in my old Titan. Cooked the alternator also. Died right in the middle of driving

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 1998
Engine
5.9 Gas & 5.9 Diesel
I have 4 NorthStar AGM batteries, 2 in my Dodge Cummins, 1 in my Dodge 360, and 1 in my Jeep diesel Liberty. They are fantastic batteries, not cheap, but you won't find a better battery nowhere for the money.

As to the original post, load testing the battery is the only way to tell if it has a problem, reading voltage alone will not tell you much. Bet your old battery has a broken cell connector internally.

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check alternator, and the reason the things were going crazy was because of low voltage.