Has anyone experienced this battery issue before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yesterday My boy was driving my truck and called me and said it just died while driving, engine off, dash lights going crazy. I had no tools to diagnose at the time but truck would not turn over the battery was also warm to the touch, more then i think it should be.....anyway we were 50 km's from home I decided to get a new battery and it fired right up all seems great now. Has anyone had a battery fail like that with no warning? Weird thing is I tested the voltage of the bad battery today and it had 12.7 volts. Battery posts were tight and clean when i removed the old battery....Bad cell maybe?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
12.7 volts is on the cusp of too low voltage (even though it sounds like enough). Load test after a charge is the only way to reliably test a battery. I have a 30 dollar mechanical load tester thats one of my most valuable tools. Bet it would fail.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12.7 volts is on the cusp of too low voltage (even though it sounds like enough). Load test after a charge is the only way to reliably test a battery. I have a 30 dollar mechanical load tester thats one of my most valuable tools. Bet it would fail.

Ya i'm sure it was a battery issue. I Just never thought a vehicle would die like that once its running, seems dangerous depending on the timing and location.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did the battery smell like vinegar / sulfur? If so, battery pretty much died. I'd check the alternator at a local auto parts store and make sure the alternator is putting out enough voltage, because once the engine is on, the alternator takes over keeping the electrical components running.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ya i'm sure it was a battery issue. I Just never thought a vehicle would die like that once its running, seems dangerous depending on the timing and location.
I had a motorcycle battery do that. Literally the moment I pulled into my garage after a road trip. Just up & died like it said I got you home...I'm dead now.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

When the vehicle wouldn't crank over means the voltage for the vehicle modules was probably below what they'll run reliably. Vehicles nowadays depend pretty heavily on a functional battery, if the voltage drops suddenly the vehicle shuts down.
If that was the original battery, it done good for most vehicles nowadays most start going bad by 4 years. I didn't mess around with mine('15), it failed to remote start and then turned over slow using the key.

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the battery smell like vinegar / sulfur? If so, battery pretty much died. I'd check the alternator at a local auto parts store and make sure the alternator is putting out enough voltage, because once the engine is on, the alternator takes over keeping the electrical components running.
Battery had no smell, just warm between the posts. I tested the new battery with vehicle running, alternator seems good it was 14.6 with engine on.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This...sounds like the alternator may be bad....You’ll find out in a couple of days if the new battery goes out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the vehicle wouldn't crank over means the voltage for the vehicle modules was probably below what they'll run reliably. Vehicles nowadays depend pretty heavily on a functional battery, if the voltage drops suddenly the vehicle shuts down.
If that was the original battery, it done good for most vehicles nowadays most start going bad by 4 years. I didn't mess around with mine('15), it failed to remote start and then turned over slow using the key.
My truck is a 2014, I'm assuming it was original. Makes sense on all the electronics and sensors on newer vehicles. I tried to boost the old battery first it seemed like it wasn't taking a charge.

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This...sounds like the alternator may be bad....You’ll find out in a couple of days if the new battery goes out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The alternator tested 14.6 with the new battery, so I'm guessing its ok. I have never experienced a sudden battery failure before, usually you can tell when its going bad.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yesterday My boy was driving my truck and called me and said it just died while driving,

voltage of the bad battery today and it had 12.7 volts.

Bad cell maybe?

Been there and done it. Sure has the signature of a cell randomly flipping polarity. The best way to catch it is to put it back in the vehicle and monitor the battery voltage. You will see a low voltage and then it will flip back to normal. That one low voltage incident is enough to kill the ignition system.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
12.7 volts is on the cusp of too low voltage

Battery voltage on a lead-acid is an indication of the battery's charge. In automotive, low voltage is typically below 9.6 volts, an area where the battery can no longer provide current.

At 12.7 volts, a lead-acid is at 100% change. Falling below 12 volts indicates a 50% charge.

In the OP's case, the engine stalled while running. This means the battery could not provide current to the ignition system nor could the alternator because the battery had an internal short consuming what the alternator produced leaving nothing for the ignition system.

A wealth of credible information is a Google search away, search "car battery voltage".

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Battery voltage on a lead-acid is an indication of the battery's charge. In automotive, low voltage is typically below 9.6 volts, an area where the battery can no longer provide current.

At 12.7 volts, a lead-acid is at 100% change. Falling below 12 volts indicates a 50% charge.

In the OP's case, the engine stalled while running. This means the battery could not provide current to the ignition system nor could the alternator because the battery had an internal short consuming what the alternator produced leaving nothing for the ignition system.

A wealth of credible information is a Google search away, search "car battery voltage".
Yeah, been there done that but thx. Ok, I was off about .3 volts:

From one of many sites that reflect the same:

"12 volts is the standard automotive battery in today’s vehicle and each of the battery has 6 cells with a voltage of 2.1. A fully charged car battery has 12.6 volts.
There is a very big difference when a car battery drops even a small amount of voltage. When a car drops, for instance, from 12.6 to 12.0, there will be 75% difference. Its power drops from 100% to 25%. At 12.4 volts, a car battery is 75% charged while at 12.2 volts its 50% charged.
Consider your car battery charged at 12.4 volts or higher and discharged at 12.39 volts or less."

"A wealth of credible information is a Google search away, search "car battery voltage".

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The best way to determine if any battery is good or not is to have it load tested and the AGM batteries in our trucks are notorious for dying suddenly. They tend to show decent voltage but can't handle any appreciable load. Most go about 3 - 4 years and are toast which sucks because they aren't cheap.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The best way to determine if any battery is good or not is to have it load tested and the AGM batteries in our trucks are notorious for dying suddenly. They tend to show decent voltage but can't handle any appreciable load. Most go about 3 - 4 years and are toast which sucks because they aren't cheap.
Which is why I use a battery tender from October to April. Anything to help condition the battery.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Which is why I use a battery tender from October to April. Anything to help condition the battery.

Many folks do not realize that the parasitic loss of a battery increase in the warmer weather over the colder months. In the very cold, battery chemistry slows down. I've had two battery failures back in 2011. The factory battery in my 2003 Tahoe gave it up in the springtime. The new Cosco Interstate failed (one bad cell that would flip polarity on occasion).

the AGM batteries in our trucks

Most go about 3 - 4 years

Are you implying our trucks come with AGM batteries? If so I've been cheated. My 2013 didn't nor did my 2015 come with AGMs. BTW, both trucks are still running the original factory-installed batteries.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Many folks do not realize that the parasitic loss of a battery increase in the warmer weather over the colder months. In the very cold, battery chemistry slows down. I've had two battery failures back in 2011. The factory battery in my 2003 Tahoe gave it up in the springtime. The new Cosco Interstate failed (one bad cell that would flip polarity on occasion).

Are you implying our trucks come with AGM batteries? If so I've been cheated. My 2013 didn't nor did my 2015 come with AGMs. BTW, both trucks are still running the original factory-installed batteries.
As far as I know they come from the factory with AGM batteries, I know my 2013 did. Mine has the tow package so idk if that's the difference, I had just assumed they all did...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As far as I know they come from the factory with AGM batteries, I know my 2013 did. Mine has the tow package so idk if that's the difference, I had just assumed they all did...

I've seen several gassers that don't have an AGM battery. The original OEM battery in my EcoDiesel actually had it marked that it was an AGM with a warning not to exceed 14.4V while charging.

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks been running great with the new battery, so that was definitely the issue....Not cheap indeed the only place that was open at the time was walmart paid 200 canadian. Cant imagine what a bigger brand would have cost.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday My boy was driving my truck and called me and said it just died while driving, engine off, dash lights going crazy. I had no tools to diagnose at the time but truck would not turn over the battery was also warm to the touch, more then i think it should be.....anyway we were 50 km's from home I decided to get a new battery and it fired right up all seems great now. Has anyone had a battery fail like that with no warning? Weird thing is I tested the voltage of the bad battery today and it had 12.7 volts. Battery posts were tight and clean when i removed the old battery....Bad cell maybe?

Yes, but not on any of my Rams. My exe's Toyota died exactly like the symptoms who mentioned, and my neighbor just had the battery fail on her 2019 Rogue the same way.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035813 miles.