Has anyone upgraded the factory inverter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MuddyJeep810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know, old post, but 150w inverters are a waste of dash space. I think it's more of a thing to awe customers that they have an electrical outlet in their truck, when in reality, 99.95% of items with an electrical plug on it won't work in said electrical outlet. Large inverters aren't even that expensive. It would have been fairly easy to make that a 1500w inverter that would handle at least 50% of things with an electrical plug on them.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
150 watts divided by 120 volts equals a puny 1.5 amps.
400 watts divided by 120 volts is still only 3.3 amps.
A typical electrical circuit in a house is 15 or 20 amps.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'd be very concerned about the heat generated by a larger inverter, particularly if it were located in a confined space with no air flow on it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be very concerned about the heat generated by a larger inverter, particularly if it were located in a confined space with no air flow on it.

What would be so terrible about trying to dissipate 1500 Watts of thermal energy from under the dash somewhere? :cool:

They could just mount a blower fan in the vicinity and it could double as a foot warmer, at least in the cooler climate regions. LOL

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would be so terrible about trying to dissipate 1500 Watts of thermal energy from under the dash somewhere? :cool:

They could just mount a blower fan in the vicinity and it could double as a foot warmer, at least in the cooler climate regions. LOL

Couldn't see it being any worse than the 1500 watts worth of amplifiers stuffed behind my backseat lol!

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know, old post, but 150w inverters are a waste of dash space. I think it's more of a thing to awe customers that they have an electrical outlet in their truck, when in reality, 99.95% of items with an electrical plug on it won't work in said electrical outlet. Large inverters aren't even that expensive. It would have been fairly easy to make that a 1500w inverter that would handle at least 50% of things with an electrical plug on them.
I think the intent of the DASH inverter is to power a "normal" laptop. Most "normal" laptops are 90W or less on the charger. Tool chargers they probably expect if you want to use truck power for, you would have an inverter port in the bed. Which isn't a feature I think I have ever seen in a RAM, but I've seen a few taco's with it.

I also don't think I've seen too many people use them. Heck, the primary use for mine was a "better" USB charger (I lost my 30w+ 12v chargers at some point, and just used a spare wall-wart for a while, until I recently put in a 12V splitter block, which has 2 PD plugs.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock