hauling a quad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
in my 2018 Sport with the 5.7 box and a factory Ram folding hard cover. I assume the cover will have to come off, correct?

Last edited:
OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No one here hauling a quad with a hard cover? ;)

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont have a quad nor a factory hard cover, but I have seen one cover that boasts the strength ability to have quads (yes multiple) on top.

Here is the cover:
https://diamondbackcovers.com/

Video with quads on top of cover:

Now, if you want to keep your current setup, if it can fold up against the back window, you can fit the quad probably with the tail gate down. If it folds like my trifold soft cover (the final 1/3 stays down), you would likely have to remove it to fit a quad.

OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Depends on the size of your quad. Nothing 5 minutes and a measuring tape wont fix.

Thanks, that was real helpful..

I dont have a quad nor a factory hard cover, but I have seen one cover that boasts the strength ability to have quads (yes multiple) on top.

Here is the cover:

Now, if you want to keep your current setup, if it can fold up against the back window, you can fit the quad probably with the tail gate down. If it folds like my trifold soft cover (the final 1/3 stays down), you would likely have to remove it to fit a quad.

Thanks, no sarcasm this time, because that was actually helpful. I will check it out!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Here is the cover:

Works great for perfect world environment but try using this system when your stuff is covered I sand or mud lol. **** goes south real fast.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Short box, your cover will have to come off and you’ll probably have to *** with your tailgate open as well. Also watch for your back window! An old car tire makes a decent and easy to use bumper between the front of the box and the front of the bike

OP
OP
raggdoll

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Short box, your cover will have to come off and you’ll probably have to *** with your tailgate open as well. Also watch for your back window! An old car tire makes a decent and easy to use bumper between the front of the box and the front of the bike

Yes, that's pretty much what I thought. Problem is I'm towing a 20' travel trailer and want to bring the quad too. Wish I bought a toy hauler instead :(

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that's pretty much what I thought. Problem is I'm towing a 20' travel trailer and want to bring the quad too. Wish I bought a toy hauler instead :(

That's easy make a hitch on the back of your camper and just drive your quad up on it...

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Works great for perfect world environment but try using this system when your stuff is covered I sand or mud lol. **** goes south real fast.

I would think with proper rams, and through the cover bolts (with fender washers on both sides) good ratchet straps would properly secure them on top. It would be sloppy, but it should work.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think with proper rams, and through the cover bolts (with fender washers on both sides) good ratchet straps would properly secure them on top. It would be sloppy, but it should work.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about them falling off it's the whole drive them up metal ramps covered in mud. I've seen Plenty of fails in person to this system. It's even worse with a 2 wheel drive sport quad.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toy hauler trailers are heavy and very hard on tires. Even if you got a sled deck and put the atv on that your still limited by the short box. You’d probably not be able to turn with a trailer in tow

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Might be too late, but I just picked up a wheeler last week and might be able to assist (at least someone down the road). Picked up a Sportsman 570, and with a soft cover rolled up, it fit with the tailgate down. Tires were completely off the TG, but closing it would not happen. You can probably just get away with either putting some ramps in the front of the cab, or removing the tailgate when towing. I was hoping to do the same as you (trailer tow w/ wheeler), but decided to just get a 5x8 trailer and take 2 vehicles if we need until I can come up with a better solution (toy hauler, new truck, seasonal and forget it)

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might be too late, but I just picked up a wheeler last week and might be able to assist (at least someone down the road). Picked up a Sportsman 570, and with a soft cover rolled up, it fit with the tailgate down. Tires were completely off the TG, but closing it would not happen. You can probably just get away with either putting some ramps in the front of the cab, or removing the tailgate when towing. I was hoping to do the same as you (trailer tow w/ wheeler), but decided to just get a 5x8 trailer and take 2 vehicles if we need until I can come up with a better solution (toy hauler, new truck, seasonal and forget it)

If you make ramps in your bed and drive the quad up about a foot off the bed. If you are that close to shutting the tailgate I bet you could doing that.