Have you ever been pulled over for a simple mod like exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
I am of the opinion that you will NOT ever get pulled over for having, say, a Flowmaster exhaust. Am I right to assume that? So long as you are not driving like an idiot, the police usually don't pay any mind to a Flowmaster exhaust right?

Things like performance headers, a lift kit of say, 6 inches, maybe a power programmer. These are not things to worry about either are they?

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Um nope. They are all legal.......in my country anyway.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No worries. Drive on!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ive been pulled over for the lack of mufflers before :p
But a general rule of thumb is dont do WOT runs in town and you wont have any trouble with the law XD

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am of the opinion that you will NOT ever get pulled over for having, say, a Flowmaster exhaust. Am I right to assume that? So long as you are not driving like an idiot, the police usually don't pay any mind to a Flowmaster exhaust right?

Things like performance headers, a lift kit of say, 6 inches, maybe a power programmer. These are not things to worry about either are they?

I've driven around with open headers and not had SBU o issues. Just don't drive like a fool in populated areas and you can get away with just about any exhaust set up.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I've typically found that unless the cops are on a tint blitz that most mods are above scrutiny. That said, I've been pulled over for no mud flaps before... on a lowered truck. We also have municipal noise levels that the photo radar vans can snap a pic for the exhaust being too loud.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really depends where you live. I know my friend Skylar in Glendale California gets pulled over frequently for his loud exhaust and big lift. I guess they're just not used to big loud trucks out there haha.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No mufflers is illegal in my state, that being said keeping my foot out of it helps me get by this and these trucks straight piped don't seem to sound as obnoxious as some other trucks out there.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i get pulled over all the time for my exhaust i have arh headers with high flow cats and a magnaflow 14" but everytime they pull me over they just ask me for my lisence and insurance and check that my tags are up to date and let me go they never look under the truck or anything but it is frequent that they stop me....one time two cops pulled me over at the same time an older guy and a younger guy in his mid 20s i would say. the older guy was pretty pissed that there was nothing illegal about my truck and couldnt give me a ticket kept on saying there should be laws to keep little punks like you off the street even though when he pulled me over i was going like 5mph over train tracks lol when he finally gave up and left the younger guy actually complemented me on the sound of the truck and asked me if i could rev it up a little because he wanted to do the same thing to his R/T lol

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i get pulled over all the time for my exhaust i have arh headers with high flow cats and a magnaflow 14" but everytime they pull me over they just ask me for my lisence and insurance and check that my tags are up to date and let me go they never look under the truck or anything but it is frequent that they stop me....one time two cops pulled me over at the same time an older guy and a younger guy in his mid 20s i would say. the older guy was pretty pissed that there was nothing illegal about my truck and couldnt give me a ticket kept on saying there should be laws to keep little punks like you off the street even though when he pulled me over i was going like 5mph over train tracks lol when he finally gave up and left the younger guy actually complemented me on the sound of the truck and asked me if i could rev it up a little because he wanted to do the same thing to his R/T lol

Just curious, where do you live... No I'm not a cop..

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ah, I live in San Antonio... Don't have any mods to **** the cops off though.

cool i go up there to the ls truck shootout....my truck isnt even really loud its just that part of town i go through that they dont seem to like my exhaust everywhere else im ok and no one pays attention.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cool i go up there to the ls truck shootout....my truck isnt even really loud its just that part of town i go through that they dont seem to like my exhaust everywhere else im ok and no one pays attention.

Yeah and I guess yours looks like it should be doing something wrong too :D

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

if you want to get technical every state has its on laws on stuff like this. your exhaust can only be so loud, your windows can only be so dark, your headlights can only be so far off the ground, your tires can only stick out so far past the fenders, etc. it really depends on how bad the cops are in your area, and how bad you **** them off. they can throw the book at you if they feel like it.

but if you drive reasonably and dont give them a reason to go after you, chances are youll be fine.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you want to get technical every state has its on laws on stuff like this. your exhaust can only be so loud, your windows can only be so dark, your headlights can only be so far off the ground, your tires can only stick out so far past the fenders, etc. it really depends on how bad the cops are in your area, and how bad you **** them off. they can throw the book at you if they feel like it.

but if you drive reasonably and dont give them a reason to go after you, chances are youll be fine.

I think to you hit the nail on the head right there. Don't give them a reason to stop you and you'll be fine. Drive like a fool and get the consequences.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I haven't been pulled over in any of my vehicles. The only time I've been pulled over for something like this was on the bike. Cop was convinced by '67 didn't have any baffles. I told him to stick his night stick up there and he could feel them. He did so he shut up and moved on.

I don't generally have any problems with cops though. I've lived in the same small town now for about 8 years so they know who I am and know I don't cause any trouble. Benefits of being in a town where nearly everyone knows each other though.

pd298

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Oklahoma any modification to factory exhaust is illegal, and any modification to amplify noise is illegal. Hardly enforced unless your acting a fool though. Probably never get a ticket either.

Southern Oklahoma half of the trucks driving down the road have some sort of exhaust modification.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've never been pulled over just for exhaust, and I run with my exhaust cutout open (and no resonators) quite a bit. In fact, I've been pulled over and left the truck running and they (2 cops) never said a word about my exhaust. I think they are more worried about tinted tails than anything in Houston, at least that I've seen and heard.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Window tint on my G8.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.