Having an issue with my Leer Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I bought my cap second hand a month or so ago and I'm having an issue. The tailgate end of the cap does not want to stay drawn in where it should be on the bed. As a result I can usually only get one side to latch/lock. Last week I loosened the bolts, pulled the sides in together with a ratchet strap and tightened the bolts back down as tightly as I felt comfortable. This morning I noticed it has spread back out again.

Anyone experienced this? I don't know how long this cap was sitting on the ground or on a trailer somewhere so it's very possible that spread it apart. The only thing I can think of is to drill a new hole through both the cap and the bed rail and bolt it together but I'd really rather not do that if I can find a workaround.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm not sure how you are attaching your cap but these have kept my ARE from spreading although I'm using six clamps.

71vrGq5HL2L._SL1320_.jpg

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They all will walk around eventually.

If you are going to have it on for the life of the truck, then get it where you want it , drill six holes and bolt it down.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yep, bolt it down. I did this for my last two caps and it worked perfectly. This time around I purchased a SnugTop Rebel with the integrated Hidden Mounting System - ("J" Hooks) - No Drilling Mounting System. That is the cat's meow for securing a canopy to your truck. They are J hooks integrated into the base of the canopy which tighten up to secure the canopy to the truck. That baby hasn't moved a centimeter since it was installed.

http://www.snugtop.com/product/rebel