Having issues with the truck dying when coming up to a stop and turning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had this issue happened three times within the past week. I have had it happened twice when slowing down, turning left and giving it gas to pull into where I'm going. But had it happened once when I was going 75 and braking hard it died. It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi 4X4 quad cab. It has a CAI and Flowmaster muffler on it. Only had it for less than two weeks. No codes, and just replaced the alternator on Friday for another issue.

OP
OP
12RAMSTER

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has all the power that it is supposed to have. This seems to only happened from highway speeds. I was trying to duplicate it with the steering wheel turned one way and trying to power stall it but won't duplicate..

OP
OP
12RAMSTER

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will also add, I know some of the '08s had issues with the crank sensor being too tight around the oil filter housing and cutting into the wire, but I found a small sliver in the wire to the crank sensor and wrapped it in electrical tape and duck tape. (That was Friday night after the second time it happened.) But like I said it happened again today.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome. Not sure what the issue might be. I had crankshaft sensor trouble with my 08, but the truck never died, it would kick itself out of cruise. Did this a couple of times over a few weeks, then finally the last time it did it, the engine started misfiring really bad.

Bump for others to chime in.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully this will help. I had a similar problem with my 03 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Qcab. It would die or rev to keep it's self alive when coming to a stop and it died a few times doing tight right turns. I replaced the cam position sensor and the throttle position sensor and that has fixed the stalling problem when stopping and turning. Best of luck and keep us updated.

ol'red02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ah crap mine does the reving like that and has stalled once while i was about to back up and had the wheel cranked all the way to the right

dman4915

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 bright white ram 1500 quad cab big horn hemi
Engine
5.7 hemi
My wife had an 05 hemi Durango that would stall when slowing down and hitting bumps in the road. It didn't show any codes either. It turned out to be the egr valve.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
12RAMSTER

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I noticed it only does it after I fill up. So its something to do with the canister and esim. Going to get those replaced and see what it does. Thanks for the info.

pd298

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 03 GMC that acted like that. I know they are different trucks but the issue on the gmc was a dirty throttle body.

OP
OP
12RAMSTER

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's the first thing I did is a complete throttle body clean and and ran some stuff in the fuel.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Any details about what the final diagnosis was and what was done to fix it?

OP
OP
12RAMSTER

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it had to have a new fuel tank, canister, and purge solenoid. I thought it was a crank or cam sensor, but started realizing it kept happening after I filled up and got a mile down the road.