Having stereo read text messages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 Ram 1500 with the 8.4 Stereo. I have it paired via Bluetooth with my iPhone. I used to get a pop up message on the truck screen when I got an incoming text message and I could tap the truck screen and have the text message read to me. I was playing around with my iPhone one day and now I no longer have the incoming text messages pop up on the truck screen. Anybody know how to get these feature back working? I do have the uConnect app set to "Allow Notifications" and the "Show Previews" set to Always

I should know better than to message with something when its working!!

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You need to have permissions set on the phone as well as on Uconnect.

OP
OP
Frisk

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Under Messages? I just checked the Messages and I see that "Focus" was not turned on (I have now turned it on). Under the "Allow Notifications" section its turned on. "Show in CarPlay" is turned on even though I don't have CarPlay. "Show Previews" is set to Always. "Customize Notifications" is set to Repeat Alerts=Never

I checked under Bluetooth uConnect and I see that Show Notifications was turned off.....I think that may be the incorrect setting

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Under Messages? I just checked the Messages and I see that "Focus" was not turned on (I have now turned it on). Under the "Allow Notifications" section its turned on. "Show in CarPlay" is turned on even though I don't have CarPlay. "Show Previews" is set to Always. "Customize Notifications" is set to Repeat Alerts=Never

I checked under Bluetooth uConnect and I see that Show Notifications was turned off.....I think that may be the incorrect setting
Sometimes, deleting the Bluetooth pairing from your phone and radio and then re-pairing the two will prompt for the necessary permission on your phone again (allow access to messages and contacts).

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What SitKneelBend said! Plus, if it’s an iPhone be aware that iOS caches a ton of stuff in the background so it’s a good idea to delete pairings then reboot the phone before re-pairing.

best,
DG

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 Ram 1500 with the 8.4 Stereo. I have it paired via Bluetooth with my iPhone. I used to get a pop up message on the truck screen when I got an incoming text message and I could tap the truck screen and have the text message read to me. I was playing around with my iPhone one day and now I no longer have the incoming text messages pop up on the truck screen. Anybody know how to get these feature back working? I do have the uConnect app set to "Allow Notifications" and the "Show Previews" set to Always

I should know better than to message with something when its working!!

On your iphone go into Bluetooth, and touch the "i" for uConnect. Make sure "show Notifications" is turned on.

I don't pay for uConnect service, I just long the talk button on the steering wheel for Siri to respond, then ask Siri to read messages. Also, if you have "Hey Siri" turned on, you can just say "Hey Siri" wait for the Siri on the screen, then say "read messages". This works without paying for uConnect service.

OP
OP
Frisk

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turning on Bluetooth uConnect "Show Notifications" fixed the problem. I now get a pop up on the truck screen that I can tap and have the text message read to me while I am driving.

XBrav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the opposite problem! I want to turn this feature OFF, but can't for the life of me find the settin! Any ideas?
Assuming you have Android, you can go into the Bluetooth settings, click on the device, and turn off the services you don't want to use. You'll need Media audio for music streaming, and Phone calls to send / receive calls.