**HEADERS & Y-Pipes** Huge wealth of information inside! 2009+ RAM 1500 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With so many header and exhaust questions on decreasing performance with a muffler, I figured Id make this thread. Going to link the headers available and talk a bit about them. I would suggest that with any header install, you purchase new Mopar OEM gaskets. Some people have had no issues with the supplied gaskets from header manufacturer, but some have. For the cost and time involved, its better to be safe than sorry IMO. Header installs can be done with minimal tools in the driveway. Stubby and ratcheting wrenches are your friend, as well as a swivel head socket. A second pair of hands is nice, but not necessary. Jack and stands are of course required (ramps dont work as the front wheels must come off).

I would also suggest going no cat y-pipe if you have the option to do so. You will need to have a custom tune (DiabloSport w/ a HemiFever, Jay Greene, WL, or whoever tune to remove o2 codes). Even with hi-flow cat, you may need a custom tune as it might still throw a code.

First off there are shorty headers. I personally would not waste my money going this route. Its ok if you just want to mod with the slight performance gain, but there is not much there. They do not replace the factory y-pipe (pictured below) which is garbage so there is still a huge restriction unless you do a custom exhaust. They are fairly easy to install and bolt-up to the factory pipe.

BBK Shorty Headers: BBK : 04-14 Dodge Ram Hemi 5.7L Hemi Shorty Exhaust Headers

BBK are not known for their quality, at least in regards to our trucks. They are ok, but I would personally go with JBA as they have a better reputation in the shorty department. The main plus is they are nearly $300 cheaper than the JBA. Just remember, you get what you pay for especially with headers! Available in Ceramic coating as well.

JBA Shorty: JBA Performance Exhaust Part #:1961S-2 Cat4ward® Shorty

The best shorty header available. Good quality and will produce small gains. Much better option than the BBK. If you are set on shorty's, go with these. Available in Ceramic coating as well.

JBA LT Header: JBA Performance Exhaust Part #:1961S-2 Cat4ward® Shorty

y-pipe: JBA Stainless 3" Mandrel Bent Y-pipe 09-14 Ram 1500 5.7

This is the cheapest LT header available. Some people have reported fitment issues and quality issues. Again, you get what you pay for. A few have said that in order to get them to fit, they had to center the engine on the motor mounts which can be costly in time and possibly your wallet on the install. They are not the quality of ARH by any means, but they are MUCH cheaper and a viable option. They also only come in 1 7/8" diameter tubes which is a little large for a non-boosted motor. While its not a HUGE deal, you will lose a little bottom end compared to the 1 3/4" offerings on a N/A vehicle. Also, the y-pipe does not come with a catted option and its an extra cost over the header price. They come in multiple flavors such as base stainless, ceramic coating, polished, and titanium. The y-pipe is also built for a 6 speed and I do not believe there is an option for an 8 speed y-pipe ('13-'15 trucks) but contact them to be sure.

Stainless Works LT: SW Product Info: Dodge RAM

SW makes a quality header at a good price. Its comparable to ARH although not as popular. They also have an exhaust option with a single pipe to dual out or a true dual setup which is nice. The exhaust setup is extra of course. Cost is inbetween the JBA LT and ARH (although closer to ARH pricing). They offer 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primaries and also include the y-pipe with or without cats. The y-pipe is also built for a 6 speed and I do not believe there is an option for an 8 speed y-pipe ('13-'15 trucks) but contact them to be sure.

American Racing Headers LT: Dodge Hemi 1500 Ram | American Racing Headers > Products > General Motors2

IMO, ARH is the best header available. It is top notch quality and they have good customer service. They have the most available options (besides a true dual y-pipe like SW). They have 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" primaries. They also have a y-pipe for either 6sp or 8sp trucks with both a catted and non catted option. Again, quality is above and beyond with ARH and if you can swing the money over the JBA, you should. The install from personal experience is not bad at all and I highly recommend these.

Below is a picture of the ARH long tube next to the stock manifold. You can see it is VERY restrictive. Exhaust from a 400hp truck trying to squeeze through that log cant be good. Also, a pic of the stock y-pipe. It is the 2nd most restrictive part of the exhaust next to the log manifold. Forget changing your muffler for performance, that y-pipe is brutal.

If anyone has anything theyd like to add, feel free. Would be nice to have an informative all inclusive thread as many people have questions about headers.
Rzktrr4.png
XU7on2F.png

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Nice write up I like when people do this. Good read.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you for the read. It was interesting.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I think the biggest downfall of shorties, is, as you said, that they don't replace the factory Y pipe.

Where I live I have to be emissions compliant so a full LT set-up with cats would run me $2000 by the time I got them to my door.

*edit* and, also as you said, those are hi-flow cats.. no guaranty of passing, even with them.

When I start modding next spring, I'll be looking at doing the JBA ceramic shorties and having a custom shop around here fab me a new, proper Y-pipe. Of course I'll cost this all out but at $700 for the headers, I can't see the shop charging me $1300+ to fab a Y pipe.

At that point the biggest difference between the two would be that you get increased scavenging with LTs.. but for a daily driver thats only going to have bolt ons and never see the track, I think it's negligable.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm going with shorties also. I already replaced the factory y pipe with the magnaflow one. Had the shop run new pipe from the cats to the y pipe. Really can afford 2k right now to drop on headers. I went with bbk's because I got a good price on the silver ceramic ones. Paid under $300 for them.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I'm going with shorties also. I already replaced the factory y pipe with the magnaflow one. Had the shop run new pipe from the cats to the y pipe. Really can afford 2k right now to drop on headers. I went with bbk's because I got a good price on the silver ceramic ones. Paid under $300 for them.

Anything noticable after the Y-pipe swap?

98sinisterCOBRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Express RCSB
Same opinion... I have the stainless JBA longtubes and 3" Y. Best bang for you buck IMO. Big difference...more on the top end.. Ypipe was a little ehhh for fitment to the catback...so instead of clamping I welded it...

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I already wrote before, I've the 1 7/8 LT catted headers (black coated) + Turbo muffler both from SW, together with vararam, PTB and fine tuning which have brought me almost 75 HP to the wheels. It is as per the same stand I dynoed before the tuning. SW is excellent, I doubt ARH will bring same results (we have compared but not on the stand, just the on the ride). The only thing is even their Turbo muffler is very very loud, besides, I have some resonating sound at revving. But first I want to install gaskets between the headers and block and check/seal all the couplings.

Last edited:

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anything noticable after the Y-pipe swap?

I didn't really notice too much of a difference. A little better throttle response not much. I'm hoping with the bbk I'll feel more of a difference.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As I already wrote before, I've the 1 7/8 LT catted headers (black coated) + Turbo muffler both from SW, together with vararam, PTB and fine tuning which have brought me almost 75 HP to the wheels. It is as per the same stand I dynoed before the tuning. SW is excellent, I doubt ARH will bring same results (we have compared but not on the stand, just the on the ride). The only thing is even their Turbo muffler is very very loud, besides, I have some resonating sound at revving. But first I want to install gaskets between the headers and block and check/seal all the couplings.

You doubt ARH brings the same results as SW? Really????? All long tubes will be pretty comparable. Even JBA are going be bring roughly the same results but the build quality and refinement is just not quite as nice as SW or ARH which reflects the better pricing.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well I made my decision and ordered the ARH and Trinity Diablo from Moes! I can't wait to rip out the oem manifolds and crimped y pipe,as well as load a custom hemi fever tune. Matt at Moes is great and helped me tremendously today and on many other Moes mods... "He is the man for tha ram!" Anyway all should be here over the next week and then will install and report back. Great header thread info and discussions. If anyone has any other pointers for install and or materials bolts gaskets etc...please chime in.:)

Last edited:

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If anyone has any other pointers for install and or materials bolts gaskets etc...please chime in.:)

Mopar gaskets and I used ARP bolts on my last install.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Where can I find the arp bolts that you suggested? Is there a part number for a kit that comes with all the header bolts? I have heard many recommend the mopar gaskets, they also will have to be dremeled a bit correct.

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I had an Amazon promo coupon and picked up the stage 8 header bolt kit part number 8916 for under $40 with free shipping. Has anyone used these bolts on an install? I looked for an arp kit with no success. Any feedback on these stage 8'would be appreciated like that they lock in place but might be a pain in the a@@ to get Installed. Scooped them up so they are also on way and will be here when headers arrive. If anyone has any other recommendations for bolts of the arp kit number let me know as I will be installing next week.

#8916 4.7L & 5.7L DODGE HEADER KIT*| Stage 8

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The Stage 8 bolts are nice. They are tapered which makes it easier to get the threads started, but it is just tough to get the clips on after you have them locked in place. At only $40, that was a good buy.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wish we had the aftermarket support you guys do. I don't even think anyone makes headers or a y pipe for the 6.4.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I wish we had the aftermarket support you guys do. I don't even think anyone makes headers or a y pipe for the 6.4.

That's going to change in a few weeks ;)

ARH already has a truck in the shop, and they said we should have a new part# for the 2500 6.4 guys by the end of January.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's going to change in a few weeks ;)

ARH already has a truck in the shop, and they said we should have a new part# for the 2500 6.4 guys by the end of January.

You mind posting up what they see for gains after its in production? I'd love to tune/header/y pipe this thing.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty set on longtubes come tax return time. Looking for feedback on JBA's paired with their y-pipe.

There has been a lot of posts on this setup on numerous forums but I cannot actually find reviews of people that have installed them!!

Matt, do you have anything to add? Have you seen them first hand installed in a 4x4? Any Dyno charts available?

I do not know what to expect from this setup, I figure it will cost me around $1,000usd shipped to Canada or nearly the same amount for stainless works no cats or $1600 with cats.

ARH are out of my budget as I figure I'll be spending $500-600 for install plus a second muffler or resonator.

Edit- painfully slow day at work has led me to surfing on the internet...

So stainless works headers (no cats) is $1067cdn which is like $800usd, seems like a stupid cheap price and I should go for it! Local performance shop told me to expect $6-800 for labour as book time is 3hrs a side @ $95/hr.

Hmmm

Last edited: