**HEADERS & Y-Pipes** Huge wealth of information inside! 2009+ RAM 1500 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What the ****??? $600+ for labor? I did the install by myself, no air tools, in a driveway in less than 8 hours (and doing it a 2nd time, I could easily get it done in 5). A shop with a lift and air tools can easily get it done in 4 hours.

Header install should not run more than $200-$300 (not including parts). I would shop around. Header install on these trucks is NOT bad at all. Its very easy compared to a lot of vehicles and does not take nearly as long.

As far as the JBA, there was a user on another forum who had issues with installing. The shop he took it to for install had to adjust where the motor was sitting and move it just a little bit. While not a huge deal, it can increase your cost to install if they have an extra couple hours on the bill to deal with unforeseen fitment issues. Also, JBA is not as good of quality as ARH. Again, you get what you pay for.

As far as worth it? You save about $600 going with the JBA over ARH like you said so for everyone it may not be worth it. I guess after cheaping out on aftermarket parts for years, Ive learned to save up and do it right.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The city I live in is small (285K pop.) there isn't many shops I trust doing a quality job, this is a family owned performance shop that races. He was just giving me the book rate which is a 6hr job, if it takes less time he'll charge me less. He did say they recently did ARH headers on a 4th gen and it was one hicup after another. If it takes 4 hours as you said it would cost $447 (4 hrs @ $95, 7% shop supplies, 10% taxes) I don't know of any reputable shop that would do an install for $200 out the door...

There is one more shop here that I will try, they do a lot of subaru's and RHD imports but they do great work.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow.... $95/hour shop rate, brutal. Even still, $450 is much more reasonable IMO.

Venture away from these parts and a member by the name of gixxer160 had them installed and his profile shows Canada. Maybe you are quoted at the same shop? He is the user who had a shop install and had all the issues with JBA.

My ARH headers went in smooth. I did have to mess with the dipstick, but thats it and that is minor at best (5-10 min). The headers slid right in without an issue. If they figured 6 hour after doing a problematic truck, 4 or less should be no issue at all. A lift really speeds things up, being able to stand up and work top and bottom easily plus air tools, my god.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stainless works appear to be a quality header, at around $1100 for the pair (catless) I think I'm going to bite the bullet and also install a 18-20" resonator in the mid pipe to keep some sound down.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I feel thats a great option. I think SW is a happy median. There is a large thread on the same page as this one discussing SW header so you may want to give it a once over.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel thats a great option. I think SW is a happy median. There is a large thread on the same page as this one discussing SW header so you may want to give it a once over.

Thanks for the heads up, I did thoroughly read the thread with Talon 66, other than him I'm hard pressed to find user reviews and feedback. Kind of bummed there isn't any manufacture Dyno charts of a pre and post header install.

OP
OP
D

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think all headers will be comparable to ARH in all honesty. None of them are going to be much higher or lower really. They all do the same thing, increase exhaust flow from the engine and smooth it out instead of bottleneck.

I would check out ARH dyno and just assume you will get similar performance from the other long tube options.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I went with the ARH from Moes and just dropped off today to have them ceramic coated inside and out. Then I will be installing. Found a guy here in my town who has been coating for a long time, just a little over three hundred with tax for headers and y pipe. Turn around about 5 days.:roflsquared:

badvik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the heads up, I did thoroughly read the thread with Talon 66, other than him I'm hard pressed to find user reviews and feedback. Kind of bummed there isn't any manufacture Dyno charts of a pre and post header install.

Then you can read a bit of mine posts here
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/stainlessworks_catback_installed_review-42614/index5.html#post949931

here
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/0-60_times-52067/index2.html

And here
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/dyno_results-47850/index9.html

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 153

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stainless works appear to be a quality header, at around $1100 for the pair (catless) I think I'm going to bite the bullet and also install a 18-20" resonator in the mid pipe to keep some sound down.

Youll be happy with them.
Stainless works has won me over as a customer. They sent me extra o2 extensions without hesitation when I told them the ones they supplied would not reach. That little gesture went miles