Headlight Condensation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What could I possibly be missing?
I did the FXR swap about a year ago, my driver side light is constantly fogging up. I've taken it out multiple times and re-sealed it. I have no idea where it could be getting the moisture from.

Anyone have any tips.

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gasket on the "door" yeah it's tight. No cracks or damages.

These are 2013 projector headlights if it helps

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was having that issue with my quads after put in projectors. I sealed around the edges with black RTV and put a bunch of silica packs inside. Seems good now.

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used buytl and silicon to seal the lens.

Any leaks I found previously I sealed. Plus I heated the housing with the cap off to allow the moisture to escape

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Have you checked the vents on the housing to make sure they didn't get pushed tight during the work? I was having a hell of a time with mine until I pulled the off and reset them.

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm I would have to check.... not sure what it looks like

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
There are 2 or 3 vents on the back, they look like little caps, pull them off and reseat them with a few millimeters showing.

This video from Jeremy shows the vents, they're the brown ones which I believe have changed colour over the years to grey or black. He talks specifically about the vents at 6:53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5S8WmY6pQ

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good tips, I was gonna post that vid about the vents. I am going to do this retro pretty soon and this was a concern of mine. Do many of you guys have any issues after resealing them? And when baking them do you take the back covers off?

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I baked mine I took everything I could off and out.

I'm debating on opeming mine onr last time to install switch backs and angel eyes... you know because "when in rome"

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Good tips, I was gonna post that vid about the vents. I am going to do this retro pretty soon and this was a concern of mine. Do many of you guys have any issues after resealing them? And when baking them do you take the back covers off?

I remove as much of the old adhesive as possible and use the butyl rope, can't say I've had a seal issue yet doing it that way. I used to use silicone but after a while the seal would pull away from the housing and water would get in.

Remove the back cover and bulbs when baking them.

When I baked mine I took everything I could off and out.

I'm debating on opeming mine onr last time to install switch backs and angel eyes... you know because "when in rome"

Why not, they look good. I just pulled mine apart to replace the individual white SMD LEDs with the DD switchback boards and do the FX-R swap since I needed to replace an HID bulb anyways. If you used the butyl they come apart REAL easy compared to the factory adhesive.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did one set off of my 2010. I retro'ed my quads to Morimoto projectors. Painted everything black etc....

I swore I would never do another however.... it was a PITA.... fortunately never had any condesation issues!

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 2 or 3 vents on the back, they look like little caps, pull them off and reseat them with a few millimeters showing.

This video from Jeremy shows the vents, they're the brown ones which I believe have changed colour over the years to grey or black. He talks specifically about the vents at 6:53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5S8WmY6pQ

Just watched the video.

I will have to check those next time Im free to tinker with my truck.

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know using the butyl makes them easier to open next time. I'm still kinda nervous to bake them. You would think putting them on the rack would melt the plastic. Anyone know a good video or tutorial for baking these?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Good to know using the butyl makes them easier to open next time. I'm still kinda nervous to bake them. You would think putting them on the rack would melt the plastic. Anyone know a good video or tutorial for baking these?

Having put 6 or 7 sets into ovens you won't melt the plastic on the racks, they have a very high melting point. As for a tutorial, Jeremy put this one on DT. I used 265-275 for the same 17 minutes for the '13+ projectors and after loosening the clips I start at the top front corner (top corner against the grille) with my flat blade screwdriver and start working it open from there.

Headlight bake time and helpful hints? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums