Headlight install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattyd926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So as I anxiously sit here waiting for these XB headlights to arrive I want to make sure I understand this correctly.
Truck is a 14 1500 eco big horn. So no Factory drl. I was told I either have to have the dealer turn on this setting or I can do it myself with ALF OBD2 thing. So my question is where do I get a Alf and how much is it ? Or is there another way to do it. I have heard so say fuse tap it but would rather not. Sorry so long and thank you in advance......

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
App is on the play store. You'll also need a bt device to connect to your computer.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So as I anxiously sit here waiting for these XB headlights to arrive I want to make sure I understand this correctly.
Truck is a 14 1500 eco big horn. So no Factory drl. I was told I either have to have the dealer turn on this setting or I can do it myself with ALF OBD2 thing. So my question is where do I get a Alf and how much is it ? Or is there another way to do it. I have heard so say fuse tap it but would rather not. Sorry so long and thank you in advance......

The alphaobd app is $50 the obdlink mx+ is currently on sale

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxp/

As long as you have a android device or windows laptop you are all set otherwise you can pick up a Amazon Kindle fire 7 tablet for $50 off of Amazon and install the Google play store and you are good to go.

I'm not sure on how the xb's are wired but you'll probably have to do some extra wiring to the truck to use the designated drl's in the xb's without using the fuse tap supplied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
What is the difference between mx+ and mx wifi?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Looks like the mx wifi allows additional access to other modules in Ford and chevy that may require special communication that the mx(+) can't

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also, on the MX WiFi, you will be limited to only be able to connect to the alfa software when WiFi is available, as there is no Bluetooth included on this model.

OP
OP
Mattyd926

Mattyd926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Ok headlights are finally on there way . After some research I see on a truck with my set up I need to use the supplied fuse tap. If fuse tap is used I do not need to turn the drl on with Alfobd2 with a non projector truck.. with that being said I am fine installing headlights and making connections. I have never used or done a fuse tap. So here’s the stupid question. How do you do a fuse tap with said lights and truck? Thank you in advance!!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Ok headlights are finally on there way . After some research I see on a truck with my set up I need to use the supplied fuse tap. If fuse tap is used I do not need to turn the drl on with Alfobd2 with a non projector truck.. with that being said I am fine installing headlights and making connections. I have never used or done a fuse tap. So here’s the stupid question. How do you do a fuse tap with said lights and truck? Thank you in advance!!

Depending on the lights you bought the fuse tap may vary but install is the same. If it comes with a fuse already installed on the end then find a same amp fuse and replace it with the fuse tap from the headlights. A more likely option that will come with the lights is you'll have a single wire that has a bare end that you'll remove a fuse, then slide the wire along side the fuse so it makes contact with one leg of the fuse. Then you have a red and black wire that gets connected to the positive/negative on the battery.

OP
OP
Mattyd926

Mattyd926

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thank you . Sounds easy enough