Headlights acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500. For the past couple of weeks my headlight, specifically my passenger side head light has been acting up. Currently I am running just normal bulbs that I got not to long ago, want to figure this issue out before the HIDs go in.

Problem:

Lately every once in awhile (doing it more now) when I would start the truck up I would get instantly "lamp out" on my dash. I would turn my lights on and notice passenger side is out as well as that blinker. Couple minutes later passenger side light is on and so is blinker but still saying "lamp out", sometimes it will go away if I put high beams on then off. Also sometimes the blinker will be out, but then later on its fine.

Anyone have idea what is going on?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Several things could be going on. First there is a possibility of an actual burnt bulb that gets intermitant contact.
Most obvious though may be one of 2 things. Unplug your lights and check for corrosion in them. If there is you may need to replace the connectors if it is too bad. Thankfully you can go to a dealership and get most of the light connectors.
Second it may be is a wire that has chafed and is shorting out. Difficult to find sometimes. Use a multimeter and check for a short between the wires and ground. Realize that one is the ground and may be either green or black.
Last thing to check is the fuses. Sometimes when a fuse is a bit loose this can happen.
Check the above things out and get back with us.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will check that all out when this lovely rain goes away. Hopefully its something minor but I will report back on update.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I checked it out today before running up to work and I noticed the connections looked fine, went to check fuse but I couldn't find any on the diagram saying headlight? So I did then check to see how wiring was and I noticed the ground for that side was very lose, I must of not of tightened after messing around. So I tightened it up and all is good so far. Could the ground do that?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah good! Well I hope that is all it was otherwise this will suck finding it lol. I must of never tightened it back before when working on truck and it was lose enough where that ground could move around freely with no problem. Coming home tonight had no issues again, usually it would show by now, but will keep eye out and pray it was only that.