Headlights going off and on while driving 95 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birkenfelddaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a 95 ram 2500. 5.9 gasoline V8. When I'm driving at night after a few minutes the headlights will go off then come back on after a few seconds. They will keep going off unless I stop, turn them off and wait a few minutes. Not sure what the problem is. Needing some advice or help with the troubleshooting.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a recall on the headlight switch for the '94-'02 Dodges. If it hasn't been replaced yet, do it. It's cheap insurance.
I bought my '96 new (still have it) and my switch burned up and left me stranded with no lights one night.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe that recall was for the duallys since they had the extra lights on the fenders and tailgate. I'm not sure if it was recall or a TSB. The problem was in the switch getting too hot and melting wires. I had a 95 2500 diesel and no issues. But to be on the safe side, I was able to talk the dealer into getting me a new switch and I replaced it myself. I could see were some wires did get hot at the back of the switch, so I'm glad I replaced it. In the meantime maybe set your dash lights on as bright as you can to keep some of the resistance off the rheostat. As mentioned about, it is cheap insurance.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 95 ram 2500. 5.9 gasoline V8. When I'm driving at night after a few minutes the headlights will go off then come back on after a few seconds. They will keep going off unless I stop, turn them off and wait a few minutes. Not sure what the problem is. Needing some advice or help with the troubleshooting.
There may be a weak breaker in the headlight switch. Replacing it would fix it if the breaker has gotten weak. Otherwise, I'd make sure there has been no conversion to HDI lights.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963