HEADLITES KILL CUMMINS ENGINE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Panzella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I posted this problem on here but got no response so I thought I would post the fix now that I found it. My 5.9 Cummins in my 2002 Ram 2500 would shut off when I turned on my headlites. Under the battery box on the driver's side is a bundle of 8 wires that are all crimped together and bolted to the sheet metal for a ground. The crimp was corroded and the sheet metal rusty. I split the bundle of wires into 2 groups of 4 each and soldered them together along 2 pieces of 10ga stranded wire. I brought the 2 lengths of 10ga wire to the negative terminal on the battery and connected them via ring terminals. That fixed it. This could be a real head scratcher.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I posted this problem on here but got no response so I thought I would post the fix now that I found it. My 5.9 Cummins in my 2002 Ram 2500 would shut off when I turned on my headlites. Under the battery box on the driver's side is a bundle of 8 wires that are all crimped together and bolted to the sheet metal for a ground. The crimp was corroded and the sheet metal rusty. I split the bundle of wires into 2 groups of 4 each and soldered them together along 2 pieces of 10ga stranded wire. I brought the 2 lengths of 10ga wire to the negative terminal on the battery and connected them via ring terminals. That fixed it. This could be a real head scratcher.

Sounds like bad batteries or bad alternator

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package