Headunit DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there a diy on how to remove the factory radio and install a new one?

rex450se

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It's pretty simple. This is going just off memory so it may not be exact. But if I remember correctly there is one screw behind the hook on the lower passenger side of the center part of the dash. Once removed, you can just pull it off. It is the black center part around the radio and the cigarette lighter and vents on either side of the main black middle piece. It's all one piece that pops off once you remove the one screw. Once you pop it off unclip the wires to the heating controls, cigarette lighter, airbag switch(if equipped) and I think that's it. Then you will see 4 screws that hold the radio i place, just unscrew those and pull the radio out and unplug it's harness. You will need a dash kit like this http://compare.ebay.com/like/390369783936?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y that will allow you to put a standard single din radio in. There will be a sleeve that comes with your new radio that will slide in the dash kit and allow the new radio to slide in. You will also need this harness http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-1500-2002-2003-2004-2005-Radio-Wire-Harness-/250628902963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5aa59033 which will allow your factory harness to the new radio without splicing wires. If you ever trade your truck in or sell it this allows an easy way to return it to stock while also offering a nice plug and play installation. Both the radio and harness should come with wiring diagrams to show you what to splice together. Install the dash kit with sleeve attached and pull the factory harness that is behind the dash through the sleeve. Connect the harness that is now attached to the radio and push the wires as far back through the sleeve as you can while sliding the radio into the sleeve. All of the radios I have installed have some sort of latch that will capture the side of the radio to keep it from just sliding in and out. Now just reinstall the wires that you disconnected on the back of the dash piece and pop it back into place and screw it back in. And your done.

Victor

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's pretty simple. This is going just off memory so it may not be exact. But if I remember correctly there is one screw behind the hook on the lower passenger side of the center part of the dash. Once removed, you can just pull it off. It is the black center part around the radio and the cigarette lighter and vents on either side of the main black middle piece. It's all one piece that pops off once you remove the one screw. Once you pop it off unclip the wires to the heating controls, cigarette lighter, airbag switch(if equipped) and I think that's it. Then you will see 4 screws that hold the radio i place, just unscrew those and pull the radio out and unplug it's harness. You will need a dash kit like this 2002 2003 2004 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 Radio Installation Dash Kit on eBay! that will allow you to put a standard single din radio in. There will be a sleeve that comes with your new radio that will slide in the dash kit and allow the new radio to slide in. You will also need this harness DODGE RAM 1500 2002 2003 2004 2005 Radio Wire Harness | eBay which will allow your factory harness to the new radio without splicing wires. If you ever trade your truck in or sell it this allows an easy way to return it to stock while also offering a nice plug and play installation. Both the radio and harness should come with wiring diagrams to show you what to splice together. Install the dash kit with sleeve attached and pull the factory harness that is behind the dash through the sleeve. Connect the harness that is now attached to the radio and push the wires as far back through the sleeve as you can while sliding the radio into the sleeve. All of the radios I have installed have some sort of latch that will capture the side of the radio to keep it from just sliding in and out. Now just reinstall the wires that you disconnected on the back of the dash piece and pop it back into place and screw it back in. And your done.

Victor

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

thanks seems simple enough.

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what do yall perfer to do solder or crimp your audio wires?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I use the heat shrink stuff

[tapatalkin]

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I crimp but mainly because I suck at soldering. But other wise I would solder and then heat shrink over the top of that.