Heat at vents only at 90 degrees winter is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wondering if the blend door actuator motor is not working? If I understand what I read, doesn't that regulate the temperature. At the vents my heat is 90 degree max.. all my vent settings work. I closed the recirculation door and disconnected the motor hoping to get more heat but that did not do it. Thermostat is fine temp is below center mark. Anyone deal with this. It gets bone cold up in Massachusetts. I flushed the core with Preston cleaner and did get a bit more hit than before but it is barley at 90 degrees at vent. Core hoses are hot 180.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will not place a bet on it, but sounds like your radiator core has a bunch of blocked tubes

Before you do anything else, i would run water backwards through your heater hoses. take a water hose or compressed air & gently run water or compressed air into the Outlet side, so that it runs out the inlet side.
It will likely be a bunch of crud coming out at first.
That will help clear your Climate Control

After the heater hoses are running nice clear water

Drive to a real Radiator Shop, (not a auto parts store or tire store that works on radiators)
Ask the person at the real radiator shop if they could give you an opinion about the state of your radiator.
They can take the 2 end tanks off & either clean the tubes out or replace the radiator core & put the end tanks back on it

It will cost about 1/2 of what an auto parts store would charge

OP
OP
Orange whip

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanx Gtyankee..surprised I am not overheating, so the blocked tubes obviously wont allow for max heat flow GT.. I will do that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You are correct, my info was incorrect
pain pills & alcohol may have messed up my thinking

just try the back flushing the climate control system

video on how you may want to do it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Orange whip

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cut into the hvac box and replaced the temp blend door heat cranks now..

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It seems like several Gen 3 owners cut the HVAC Box, instead of removing the whole unit from the truck