Heated Mirrors/Parasitic Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
Hi guys,

I've come to you all for help with my '00 Ram 1500 Sport.

First off, when I bought the truck, the heated mirrors never worked. Wasn't a big deal to me as it's more of a luxury item. For the past few months now, I've had a big problem with an unknown parasitic draw. Idk if it's always been there, but I've been driving it less and the issue has become very apparent. If it sits over night, I wont be able to start it in the morning. I've done countless hours of research and investigating. Replaced the alternator. Rewired my brake lights. Any issue that could pose as a culprit I've tried to fix - to no avail.

As anybody knows, when you can't find the issue, you become more and more pissed as your truck, lmao. With that being said, I've finally started ripping the cab apart and found the possible culprit. Upon removing my climate control module, I found two wires that have been ripped and also are melted. Those wires (if my research is deemed correct) are for my heated mirrors. The connection for them to the module is completely missing.

With that being said, I figured "Well, I'll just remove the fuse and call it a temp fix for now." However, apparently they are wired into Fuse 12 - the IOD fuse. Which controls a handful of other items. So, I guess my question is, could this be the source of my parasitic draw and if so (or regardless) can anyone point me in the right direction in fixing the wires. I can't seem to find anything about getting a new harness or connector or anything. Electrical is out of my comfort zone and expertise, so I figured someone here would have an answer.

Thank you in advance!

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
You could just remove the damaged portion and cap off the wires. And pull the fuse and check battery draw again to verify that was the issue. Or pull the fuse at night, reinstall in the morning and try to start it.