Heater core play in tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juancache

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a Murray heater core from O'Reilly. There is some play in one of the lines that runs to the core. I'm a little bit concerned about this. Should I be concerned? I can't upload a video. Posting a link to a video showing the movement.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That didn't seem like a lot of movement, but I'm not the one feeling it. It looks like it's a shark bite connection and not soldered. Those always feel sloppy to me. Maybe try a leak test with a garden hose. Fill it up with water, cap off one side, Gently add pressure until the hose is firm and see if it holds remembering city water pressure is typically 45-80 psi and radiator caps typically vent at 16 psi.

If you want to be super a*n*a*l about it you can rinse it out with distilled water when you are done.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Mine had more play than that, after I put it in the housing and put the clamp back on, I tapped the crimped area lightly with a punch and hammer to snug it up. Don't know if it did anything to help at all though

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't touch it with anything, fill both ends with distilled water and see if it leaks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think both the evap & heater pipes are made to swivel
so that you have some play to work them through the firewall