Heater Core Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those in the know with more experience with the second gen trucks, how hard is it to replace the heater core in a 2002 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Here's a pretty decent write up on how to do it. I've done two of them, you basically drop the steering column off the bottom of the dash, remove the bolts at the top of the dash, loosen two bolts on the bottom of the dash where it bolts to the cab, then rotate it back onto the seats. Couple hours, kind of a pain, but not horrible. Also a 2002 Ram 1500 should be the first year of the 3rd gen's.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com...uick-way-change-heatrer-core-2-3hours-229112/

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500
It is not so much a difficult job, but is can be a pita. And always great having an extra set of hands helping you.
Definitely check out some of others who have posted write-ups or videos,

OP
OP
14Tradesman

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe its a 2001 then, its not my truck. Its my grandpas and he said 2002. He just bought a new 2018 to take this ones place. But this one is solid and clean inside and out. Everything works but the bad heater core and the normal cracked dash. How bad would it be to replace the dash at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Reaction score
That would be the perfect time to replace the dash. Mine shattered when I tried to pull the dash out. One bit of advice from me is to pull out the passenger seat to give yourself some extra room to work. Comes out easy. Use a ratchet strap around the grab handle to support the dash as u pull it out. Just take your time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
It’s not that hard, the biggest pain in the butt is getting the new heater core to slide back into place without cutting your knuckles all up. Getting the old one out isn’t so hard, you can just cut the inlet and outlet pipes, but a couple of hours and it’ll be done