Hello; I Have A Couple Of Questions ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I've got a 2005 2500 I bought new. I'm retiring it from work and am rehabbing a few issues that came up through the years. I've got all but two problems fixed and I'm looking for help.

First is the dome light doesn't work. Right after I bought this truck, I disabled the seatbelt chimes and installed a Mopar brake controller pigtail. IDK that either has anything to do with the dome light, but I mention it JIC. That's ~ the same time I noticed the dome light didn't work.

I like to start at the end and work backwards tracing problems. The bulb element is good but there's no current to the receptacle. At this point I wanted to look at door switches but I don't see anything like the old plunger-type that's in the jamb. I'm guessing, but is there some sort of switch I missed or something integral with the headlight switch/dimmer? Any other ideas?

Second is the transfer case linkage is gone. I've already got the replacement linkage but I'm not sure if something is missing. What I've got is a couple of grommets that clearly go in the TC & shifter arms, an L-shaped rod and an adjustable collar. Looking at it, I can't see what would retain the end of the rod and the shaft on the adjustable collar. Is all that keeps it in place just the ends through the grommets? Seems like there ought to be an E-clip, anyway.

Thanks for having me here and for any help; I tried searching first.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly

TJ.theTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram
Engine
Hello, welcome. I can help you with the first issue. First make sure the dimmer switch is not off next you the head light switch. If that is not the case then you have an issue with a fuse, bad switch of some sort or wiring problem. If it's wiring I suggest downloading a copy of the service manual and finding the dome light wiring diagram and chase it down. Feel free to pm me or post back with any questions

Oh. For your second issue. I would also download the parts list for your truck. It shows an exploded view of everything and how it should go together....that should help out a lot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the replies.

I know the fuse on that circuit is good. Guess I'm gonna get out the test light.

The 4X4 linkage; every truck I'd looked at had no retention other than a friction fit into the grommet. I ended up cross-drilling the pin where it's turned-down. I then safety-wired through both pins and back to the TC & shifter arm. The grommets will eventually fail, but at least the linkage won't be lost.