Hellwig Rear Seay Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these as I am reading nothing but good things about how they improve handling. Am seeing slot of people also replacing the end links. I don’t mind spending the money but I don’t like wasting money either if it’s not necessary. Truck is a 2018 Ram Big Horn 4WD Hemi Quad Cab with 17,000 miles. Thoughts?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I just replaced the end links with Moog parts, they're greasable and beefier than stock.
Kept the OE sway bar. It got tighter, but at 10 yrs old I'm gonna do the 4 control arms as well.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these as I am reading nothing but good things about how they improve handling. Am seeing slot of people also replacing the end links. I don’t mind spending the money but I don’t like wasting money either if it’s not necessary. Truck is a 2018 Ram Big Horn 4WD Hemi Quad Cab with 17,000 miles. Thoughts?
I personally did the Hellwig sway bar, then Core 4x4 end links, and last the Core 4x4 panhard bar. I did them in that order at different times. I could tell there was an improvement with adding each one. I 100% recommended each one. For me it was money well spent. I’m lifted 6” so there could be some difference in how much I noticed versus someone not lifted. Either way highly recommend. Last summer I was going through the hills and bends in the smoky mountains and came across few other lifted trucks. A couple of them tried to keep up with and just couldn’t do it. I was just cruising along just fine and I could tell they were struggling and fighting the truck. I think the above mentioned components had a lot to do with it. Sorry for writing a book lol... hope it helped.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
With a pickup truck adding a rear sway bar to a truck that lacks one will greatly reduce wheel hop (with an empty bed) with one wheel hits a bump as part of the energy is transferred by the sway bar to the opposite wheel. It helped even with my 2500 pickup which has one of the stiffest frames available.

As towing capacity has increased with pickup trucks the manufacturers have had to make the frames stronger and stiffer, GM starting in 2011, Ram in 2013-2014, and Ford in 2016. So suspension mods and WDH are highly dependent on the model and model year of the truck.

Last edited:

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i'm stock height, using the hellwig sway bar, stock end links in the middle position. much better than the stock sway bar.

i havent changed out the end links on the sway bar, might or might not. havent decided.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to cut into someone elses thread, but my single cab Express didn't even come with one. Seems to handle ok, but would adding one, even an OEM do anything worth while for me?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not to cut into someone elses thread, but my single cab Express didn't even come with one. Seems to handle ok, but would adding one, even an OEM do anything worth while for me?

I guess it depends on how hard you drive it? It will always help the ride but the question becomes how much you would really need it if you aren’t really looking to make the handling and cornering any better??

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the bar, and the MOOG end links. They were $25 a piece so they didn’t break the bank, and seeing them side by side with the OEM unit, plus the fact they are greasable, I figured I’d give it a shot. Looks like an easy enough install. Any tips? I know I read a couple of guys say they backed their trucks up on ramps. Anything else I should know or do?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the bar, and the MOOG end links. They were $25 a piece so they didn’t break the bank, and seeing them side by side with the OEM unit, plus the fact they are greasable, I figured I’d give it a shot. Looks like an easy enough install. Any tips? I know I read a couple of guys say they backed their trucks up on ramps. Anything else I should know or do?

Penetrating oil is always good for jobs like that. I didn't run mine up on ramps. I just crawled underneath and went at it. Ordinary hand tools are all you need to do the job, ratchets, sockets and combination wrenches, all metric of course.

I reused the OEM bolts on the axle for the mounting clamps. The Hellwig instructions are kinda sparse. Be sure you have the bar properly oriented as it could be installed upside down. When it is laid flat on a level surface, the arms of the bar should be up and away while the body of the bar is flat on the floor.

Maybe take pics of how the the links are arranged on the sway bar for reference when it comes time to re-assemble it.

It's really an easy job.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
absolutely.
My 2011 didnt have one, made a difference. BTW, I have my OEM stocker and endlinks if you dont want to pay big money for a Hellwig

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very good addition I think it took me literally 20 minutes to swap out the original.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellwig sway bar, core 4x4 end links, rear upper and lower control arm on their way. Core panhard bar already installed and what a diff in the truck. It has a 6” lift and 3 BL. I just bought the regular sway bar as my lift came with the extended end links. I measured eye to eye and sent Core 4x4 the measurements and they got a set made.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Penetrating oil is always good for jobs like that. I didn't run mine up on ramps. I just crawled underneath and went at it. Ordinary hand tools are all you need to do the job, ratchets, sockets and combination wrenches, all metric of course.

I reused the OEM bolts on the axle for the mounting clamps. The Hellwig instructions are kinda sparse. Be sure you have the bar properly oriented as it could be installed upside down. When it is laid flat on a level surface, the arms of the bar should be up and away while the body of the bar is flat on the floor.

Maybe take pics of how the the links are arranged on the sway bar for reference when it comes time to re-assemble it.

It's really an easy job.
Penetrating oil is a huge help (no pun intended) and always make sure whatever you take off, fits the same and installed the same way. You’ll end up worse than what you started lol.

mbryanr2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the sway bar. It helps tremendously. Then core 4x4 lowers for wheel hop. Two best suspension/handling improvements overall.
Haveccore 4x4 uppers, lowers, hellwig sway bar but those two made the most difference.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Penetrating oil is a huge help (no pun intended) and always make sure whatever you take off, fits the same and installed the same way. You’ll end up worse than what you started lol.

Penetrating oil helps,but on any rusted bolt use an impact gun if you have one,less chance of breaking the bolt. A breaker bar and socket will break a bolt more often then the hammer effects of an impact gun will,if an impact won't loosen it,get a torch and heat the area around the bolt some

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put mine on last Thursday. Big difference in the rear end. Truck’s rear not mine. Will do the links soon because the stocks ones are scrawny.
Do it to it you’ll love it.
Anyone got the Moog part number for quick reference for me?