Help! 2007 5.7L 4Door 1500 Transmission Shot! Install Costs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAMREALITY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I have a 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4 4 door with like 75k miles on it. It's had one problem after the other. Now, after having a solenoid pack replaced not long ago, and thinking the "won't downshift from 3rd gear" problem was fixed, now out of nowhere the tranny is toast! Took it for a small drive last week and out of nowhere just wouldn't get out of first, revved high, wouldn't shift etc. Long story short, shop (that generally I trust) told me tranny is shot, that no line pressure, and that they had it hit 40 and electronically it was telling the computer it shifted to 2nd and 3rd, yet mechanically it was still in first. Anyway, they said 4500 bucks to rebuild it. I can't afford that right now, not after spending 9g cash to get braces for my two boys just weeks ago! So I asked how much would it be to just install one if I bought one online. Their quote is 1400 bucks then to just do the install.

Now that seems high to me, but I'm also completely ignorant of the cost. So really need you guys to help me out! Is 1400 bucks reasonable to install a delivered remanufactured tranny, or is that high?? I live in Northwest NJ btw, warren county... Need some guidance asap!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

Friednice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemispherical combustion chamber
Labour to re and re 545 rfe tranny (most likelt the tranny in your truck) is 5.5 hours times what ever the shop rate is, plus tax and shop fees etc. Thats not accounting for any rust (most likely present) and broken / siezed bolts, parts, etc.

OP
OP
I

IAMREALITY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Labour to re and re 545 rfe tranny (most likelt the tranny in your truck) is 5.5 hours times what ever the shop rate is, plus tax and shop fees etc. Thats not accounting for any rust (most likely present) and broken / siezed bolts, parts, etc.

Yes, that's the one! So with 5.5 hours, that sounds like 1400 install would be a bit on the high end no? And I apologize for my ignorance with all this.. I suffer from a few rare diseases (mitochondrial disease etc) that make me perpetually exhausted mentally and physically, so **** like this overwhelms me when it happens and I do my best to get it all figured out. Found that 545rfe remanufactured on ebay for about 2g.. That's why I'd just need someone to install it. If 1400 is fair then it's fair. I just don't have any spare money to be ripped off with right now is all.. So thanks for your help brother.. Truly..

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
5.5 hours is a good number for a 4x4. Add fluids and filter plus a relearn is needed. So ask ypur shop if they can do the relearn. If not find a shop that can. Typical shop rate in Virginia is $65 per hour. So do the math and find another shop..

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Before I spent all that money on a transmission, I would replace the pressure transducer.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
relearn? What does that mean
You TCM has stored the clutch volume indexes of your current transmission. If you rebuild or change the transmission the clutch volume index will be different and can cause erratic shifting/ damage. You need to have a relearn done so the TCM knows what the new clutch volume indexes are.