Help diagnosing and fixing these codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, I got two codes one was P1D73 which I searched online and it was the shutter in the grill area. When I check they weren't aligned and I placed them back to their place and moved them up and down to make sure they're synced to each other but I still got the same code back. The second code I got is P0456 "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)" is what my scanner said. I would like to hear opinions and ways to fix these codes and not get an annoying check engine light again. Thank You. 2014 Ram 1500 Slt 5.7 hemi.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That evap code can often be a one time thing, for it to mean anything you need to see it a couple/few times, just ignore it the first time you see it. I have no info on that first one. I got that code like once a year ago, never seen it again.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I got two codes one was P1D73 which I searched online and it was the shutter in the grill area. When I check they weren't aligned and I placed them back to their place and moved them up and down to make sure they're synced to each other but I still got the same code back. The second code I got is P0456 "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)" is what my scanner said. I would like to hear opinions and ways to fix these codes and not get an annoying check engine light again. Thank You. 2014 Ram 1500 Slt 5.7 hemi.
I did the full AGS delete myself so I don't quite remember but I am pretty sure you shouldn't be able to move the actuator by hand. If you can I believe the actuator is bad. Can anyone chime in here? Can you move the shutters by hand on your truck?

As for the P0456, do you have any symptoms? I had this code for a while and I had a long cranking/starting cycle when my gas tank was under half and I left the truck sitting all day at work. Turned out to be an evap purge solenoid which is a 5 minute repair job. If you don't have any symptoms, it could be difficult to diagnose.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant speak of the P1D73 code but the EVAP code can something as little as a gas cap issue. I would recommend checking the gas cap seal to see if it is dry rotten or worn out. If so replace it with a factory mopar cap then clear the code and drive it as you normally would to see if the light comes back on. Also make sure to never gas up with the engine running. There could also be a cracked EVAP hose/line or other components in the EVAP system. EVAP codes can be difficult to diagnose without the proper equipment but I would start with the cap and clear the code and go from there if you want to bring it to a shop

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This website explains it best i think

Check your cap first, if it shows sign of wear, replace it with an OEM cap

Topping Off your tank could also cause p0456, that is due to over filling the gas tank, can cause gas to enter the Charcoal Cannister & break down the Charcoal, when that happens enough, a signal is sent to the Vent Valve & then a signal is sent to the Purge Valve

Don't just throw parts at your Ram trying to fix p0456
The Gas cap is mostly a visible check
The Purge Valve is easy enough to check out, using a Mighty Vac
I have watched a mechanic
use his mouth, either blowing or sucking on the valve, i don't know how accurate the test was ?