HELP!!!! LOWER BALL JOINT REPLACMENT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in the process of changing out my ball joints and the lower ball joint came with a grease zerk but when I put everything together the zerk is rubbing on the shaft that turns the wheel when in 4wheel drive. this was the only kit listed for my 1998 dodge ram 1500. I noticed there are a couple of different things that are for other models. should I just not put the zerk on or how do I deal with this.. thanks in advance for any and all help!

Octane

Reaction score
in the process of changing out my ball joints and the lower ball joint came with a grease zerk but when I put everything together the zerk is rubbing on the shaft that turns the wheel when in 4wheel drive. this was the only kit listed for my 1998 dodge ram 1500. I noticed there are a couple of different things that are for other models. should I just not put the zerk on or how do I deal with this.. thanks in advance for any and all help!
I can tell you what I did on my old model Chevy four-wheel drive. I replaced the lower ball joint on it and that shaft would do the same thing as far as hitting the zerk fitting. And the paperwork in the box said to grease the ball joint and install this little plastic plug in the ball joint instead of screwing the zerk fitting in and just run it without the fitting.

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can tell you what I did on my old model Chevy four-wheel drive. I replaced the lower ball joint on it and that shaft would do the same thing as far as hitting the zerk fitting. And the paperwork in the box said to grease the ball joint and install this little plastic plug in the ball joint instead of screwing the zerk fitting in and just run it without the fitting.

hmm, I didn't see anything in the bad but I had not looked that close. my buddy decided to work on it after I left so he told me about the issue. will look in the AM good to know that it can be run after filling them if we can plug it though. thanks for the info.