HELP!! MY PICK-UP HAS NO PICK UP....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJs98bart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Hey y'all!! I'm really hoping you guys will be able to help me with an issue I'm having with my poor ole truck? And/or possibly give me some insight on what it could possibly be or possibly be what' else could be going on with it? Y'all have helped out tremendously in the past when I posted a couple little quirks it was having and your answers/suggestions were correct & fixed the problem. :banana-mario:
And again I'm turning to the Ram Forum for wisdom & knowledgeable answers...my trucks fate is in your hands :angels2: LOL!!
Now the important need to know stuff:

*TRUCK: 1998 Ram 1500 SLT Laramine / SB/Quad cab/5.9L/auto/2wd/ w 3000,000 plus miles!! And as a note I'd like to add that II (luckily) haven't had anything major go wrong with it or done to it!! Knock on wood. Lol.

* The Problem/issue: It has no acceleration from a stop or going up the slightest hill when when pushing on the gas pedal? It moves SO SLOW that turtles are waving as they pass me! No Joke! About 1.5 months ago I noticed it one eve driving home from work that it just wasn't going or moving like it should or was & it definitely has gotten increasingly worse!! And there's a vacuum sucking kinda sound as if it's trying to take air in and it also makes what sounds like almost a humming noise too. But It always has started ,runs, stays running and drives, just drives very slowly I know the RPM's don't go over 1000-13000 either. If I try to give it a lot of gas it bogs down kinda but hasn't died...yet. (Hahaha!) And lately It also seems to "drinking " a lot of gas too??
Well guys, that's the lovely dilemma I'm having with my truck. I'm crossing my fingers someone out there knows what's wrong or couple very good possibilities & what will it take to fix it? Even if there's something temporary that would last about a month or little longer? Because I'm fixing to move further from work and need to buy some time til I can get it fixed properly. And if it's something simple I'll fix properly the first time!!
Thanks Again Y'all for your help . & input,
JJs98Bart
(from Texas!)

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the 5.9/300k mile club. Those things are bombproof.

I will throw some guesses out there to keep your thread active just so someone here who knows more can add their thoughts.

I'm guessing you don't have any CEL codes since they're not mentioned?

Have you ruled out the air intake hose into the throttle body being loose? That threw a code on my 2001. How's your air filter? Does the throttle body valve need a good cleaning? How many miles since your last tune up?

I would think that it's something intake/exhaust related like a sensor on the intake side or O2 sensor/cat con, but those should throw codes. One of my experiences was a partially clogged cat con that caused a buildup of exhaust pressure that backed up into the cylinders and slowed the engine. That shouldn't cause a big increase in gas usage, though, except through my lead foot trying to maintain speed. It may just be a faulty sensor reporting bad data to the computer, and it's increasing the gas usage to bring the faulty data back into specs.

Good luck.

MTBrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
Hey y'all!! I'm really hoping you guys will be able to help me with an issue I'm having with my poor ole truck? And/or possibly give me some insight on what it could possibly be or possibly be what' else could be going on with it? Y'all have helped out tremendously in the past when I posted a couple little quirks it was having and your answers/suggestions were correct & fixed the problem. :banana-mario:
And again I'm turning to the Ram Forum for wisdom & knowledgeable answers...my trucks fate is in your hands :angels2: LOL!!
Now the important need to know stuff:

*TRUCK: 1998 Ram 1500 SLT Laramine / SB/Quad cab/5.9L/auto/2wd/ w 3000,000 plus miles!! And as a note I'd like to add that II (luckily) haven't had anything major go wrong with it or done to it!! Knock on wood. Lol.

* The Problem/issue: It has no acceleration from a stop or going up the slightest hill when when pushing on the gas pedal? It moves SO SLOW that turtles are waving as they pass me! No Joke! About 1.5 months ago I noticed it one eve driving home from work that it just wasn't going or moving like it should or was & it definitely has gotten increasingly worse!! And there's a vacuum sucking kinda sound as if it's trying to take air in and it also makes what sounds like almost a humming noise too. But It always has started ,runs, stays running and drives, just drives very slowly I know the RPM's don't go over 1000-13000 either. If I try to give it a lot of gas it bogs down kinda but hasn't died...yet. (Hahaha!) And lately It also seems to "drinking " a lot of gas too??
Well guys, that's the lovely dilemma I'm having with my truck. I'm crossing my fingers someone out there knows what's wrong or couple very good possibilities & what will it take to fix it? Even if there's something temporary that would last about a month or little longer? Because I'm fixing to move further from work and need to buy some time til I can get it fixed properly. And if it's something simple I'll fix properly the first time!!
Thanks Again Y'all for your help . & input,
JJs98Bart
(from Texas!)

Evening, I’m having the exact same issue with my truck, we’re you able to find a fix?