Help needed before decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L did have MDS
if i recall correctly, below the speedometer, when the MDS kicked in
you would see the words FUEL SAVER

s-l640.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, finally I test drove the 2012 RT. The truck is in general good shape in and out but idling a bit rough, mainly what set me off was because to much performance mods. Long headers, custom exhaust with active valve installed but not working because the connector wires were cut. Some disconnected custom wires here and there, etc. I like put some mod on my cars, but I prefer do it by myself. So, I just walked away and tomorrow the next trip to check the 2014. Wish me luck!

Elvira

Reaction score
I agree and i am the same. Once you feel a little unsettled about something, it never leaves you. With any mods, that alone can lead to troubles far beyond what you wish, especially when they have been done by others. Perhaps the other truck you are considering will turn out to be a much better purchase. At the very least, the 2014 will be a bare bones truck ready for you to add-on a few or many upgrades, wheels, tires, graphics etc. The R/T is a nice truck...but not worth chancing it having a hard life and abused. Best of luck with the drive to see the other truck, hope it is a much better find for you. I also think the 2014 will have the updated trans too, 8 speed, taller tires for a nicer ride.

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That is a double edged sword there. Some may look at the mods are already done and it's money they don't have to spend later themselves. With that said I'm pretty sure nobody buys a "performance" version of anything to go to the grocery store and take the kids to school. The other side is maybe the first owner has found some of the weak links and made them stronger. I would feel better buying something from the owner that did the mods than one off a car dealer, the car dealer knows "nothing" about the vehicle except how much profit they can get from it, their only interest. You can usually tell how well a vehicle has been taken care of by visual inspection and driving it. When I test drive something I test drive it, if it stays together after I "test" it I usually buy it. If it doesn't hit you when you first see it, move on. You'll always find something wrong with it later that got by you initially. Nobody is going to trade in or sell to a dealer a vehicle that "nothing" is wrong with it! Hopefully the other truck will check all the boxes for you. Good luck!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a double edged sword there. Some may look at the mods are already done and it's money they don't have to spend later themselves. With that said I'm pretty sure nobody buys a "performance" version of anything to go to the grocery store and take the kids to school. The other side is maybe the first owner has found some of the weak links and made them stronger. I would feel better buying something from the owner that did the mods than one off a car dealer, the car dealer knows "nothing" about the vehicle except how much profit they can get from it, their only interest. You can usually tell how well a vehicle has been taken care of by visual inspection and driving it. When I test drive something I test drive it, if it stays together after I "test" it I usually buy it. If it doesn't hit you when you first see it, move on. You'll always find something wrong with it later that got by you initially. Nobody is going to trade in or sell to a dealer a vehicle that "nothing" is wrong with it! Hopefully the other truck will check all the boxes for you. Good luck!
Agreed here. Good for you for passing on it. I would have done the same thing. Best of luck today!

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op, not certain where you are located state wise but simple Google search turns up a 2013 RT fully optioned with 4614 miles in blue mound Texas at carvanna for $38k

Bit high but it's very low miles.

One in Stafford Texas 2011 model with 30k miles for 29k
And one in Houston 2014 model 71k miles for $28k.

Price is high on all, and I hope you like black.

True car is the website

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Op, not certain where you are located state wise but simple Google search turns up a 2013 RT fully optioned with 4614 miles in blue mound Texas at carvanna for $38k

Bit high but it's very low miles.

One in Stafford Texas 2011 model with 30k miles for 29k
And one in Houston 2014 model 71k miles for $28k.

Price is high on all, and I hope you like black.

True car is the website
I could go look at the Blue mound one. Its right around the corner from me.

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys, done! I got the 2014 express today, I drove it 170 miles back home and the truck is solid like a tennis ball. was a long drive, but I am really happy with. It is not even have an exhaust done, so from now I will have a lot fun putting some mods. I am not really into a high performance stuf, just a good cold air intake and some medium noisy muffler, then some decals and cosmetic effects as well interior conveniences like a 8.4 screen etc. I will post some pictures soon. Thank you everyone for the tips and heads up!
ps: before mods, I will drain and change all fluids and filters.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ok guys, done! I got the 2014 express today, I drove it 170 miles back home and the truck is solid like a tennis ball. was a long drive, but I am really happy with. It is not even have an exhaust done, so from now I will have a lot fun putting some mods. I am not really into a high performance stuf, just a good cold air intake and some medium noisy muffler, then some decals and cosmetic effects as well interior conveniences like a 8.4 screen etc. I will post some pictures soon. Thank you everyone for the tips and heads up!
ps: before mods, I will drain and change all fluids and filters.
That's great, can't wait to see it!

Elvira

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck, I am sure you will enjoy and have fun adding a few creature comforts. Shop wisely and don't be afraid to ask questions....many people here with ideas, knowledge and know how. Don't forget the pictures, before and after to keep for your self...and sharing with us.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats! I do believe you made the best choice.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From Original Poster: ....the truck is solid like a tennis ball.

Is that a good thing? I never thought of tennis balls as being 'solid'. Bowling balls, maybe...
But yeah, I think you made a good choice too. :favorites13:

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Too late to help but I think you made the right choice, that is a sharp looking truck. I have one very similar, RCSB tradesman, 65RFE and 3.55s. I've owned a lot of vehicles and this truck is by far my favorite. So easy to work on and tons of fun and practical mods to make it your own. Starting with a clean slate is best. Have fun!

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that a good thing? I never thought of tennis balls as being 'solid'. Bowling balls, maybe...
But yeah, I think you made a good choice too. :favorites13:
The tennis ball came to my mind regarding the way the truck sound when bouncing on road imperfections during the test drive, everything sounds tight, but yes, you r right, bowling ball is more adequate for solid .

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also in the RCSB / RFE / 3.55 / Hemi club. It's been a good tool so far.

Read up before investing in a cold air intake, the short version is the factory intake is already a cold air intake and a good one at that, the only aftermarket intake that makes any kind of noticeable power is Vararam because it eliminates the whole intake tract outside of the throttle body. Anything else is jewelry. You can fit the lower half of an ecodiesel airbox on and fit an ecodiesel filter element in there which has more surface area, and a larger intake elbow - nobody who's done that has noticed a difference in power but it might be good for one peak horsepower or something.

You can still get the jewelry if you want, no harm in it really but that's all it is.

There's also that new vararam-like AIRFLOW intake for the 5th gens straight from Mopar but I don't think that can be retrofit on 4th gens.

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score

Read up before investing in a cold air intake, the short version is the factory intake is already a cold air intake and a good one at that, the only aftermarket intake that makes any kind of noticeable power is Vararam because it eliminates the whole intake tract outside of the throttle body. Anything else is jewelry. You can fit the lower half of an ecodiesel airbox on and fit an ecodiesel filter element in there which has more surface area, and a larger intake elbow - nobody who's done that has noticed a difference in power but it might be good for one peak horsepower or something.

You can still get the jewelry if you want, no harm in it really but that's all it is.

There's also that new vararam-like AIRFLOW intake for the 5th gens straight from Mopar but I don't think that can be retrofit on 4th gens.
I agree 100%, I have the Vararam but only for the looks of it and if it does anything performance wise or mileage wise I can't tell it but it sure looks good if you like the old school look. Expensive for looks but I'm very happy with it!

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have already an S&B that I removed from my 2017 crew cab before selling it, (was installed few moth ago)
It is like you said, no performance gain, but it is looks nice when you open the hood, and the filter is reusable.