Help needed before decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can I turn my 545 into a 65? Because I would like that, my issue with the 545 is the 3rd and 4th gears paired with the 3.55's have really low rpm's in 3rd and 4th gears. Anyone know if you can charge the 545 then?

Yes. In the tune there a simple toggle for allowing the 2-2p shift. It won't really do much on it's own, but it's nice. Adjusting the rest of the shifts is where it's really nice and you can spend weeks fine tuning.

Those RF trannys are related. I wouldn't get caught up in 5-spd or 6-spd. I have vehicles which have 4, 5 and 6 speed tranny's. They all work ok. Yer not going to get 100mpg with any of them. Yer talking shades of gray in economy, which are easily mitigated by your driving style. I'm pretty sure all the 2012 Ram RF's were 6-spds, or the ones I've seen were.

What people don't always point out, is the more gears ya have the (often) more lag there is when you go to pass someone ...dead-spot during downshifting in many cases. On our Jeep GC with a 5-spd, on the hwy, it almost never needs to downshift to pass. Boom, the power is right there and yer around that slow turkey before they knew what even happened!! he he

The ZF 8spd is excellent at picking the right gear when you boot it. The RFE will kick to 1:1, then after a second it'll drop again into it's passing gear of 1.67:1. I chose not to number the gears as in the change from 545 to 65 (purely marketing ****) they stopped using the 2 prime term and instead just numbered the gears all in order.

Fun fact, the RFE trans' had all six ratios in place and possible way back in 99 when they first installed it in the grand cherokee.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can I turn my 545 into a 65? Because I would like that, my issue with the 545 is the 3rd and 4th gears paired with the 3.55's have really low rpm's in 3rd and 4th gears. Anyone know if you can charge the 545 then?
Don't know if you can you can do this. Common sense says a custom tune could be written. Iirc, the program involved a “2nd prime” in the way 2nd gear was used. I recall thinking it was a gimmick to be able to say it was now a 6 speed. It’s been awhile so memory is a bit hazy. Interesting that you don’t like your set up, I loved my 3:55 rear and 5 speed combo in my 11 sport.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
45RFE Dodge Transmission Fits 99-03'.

545RFE Dodge Transmission Fits 03' & Up

converting a 45 RFE to a 545 RFE

https://www.transdepot.net/545RFE-Dodge-Transmission-Stock-Replacement-Fits-03-Up_p_383.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OYf2_MS4nA

more about the RFE Transmissions

I am glad that i found this website again
ALLPAR carries all the older & newer, up to 2017, things like differentials, transmissions, engines
some very knowledgeable people were involved in writing it

Last edited:
OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The R/T also has a factory high stall convertor with it's 4.10's.If both are the 6 speed,the R/T will probably hold it's value a little better,even though it's 2 years older.I didn't think the 6 speed came into play until 13,but by the sounds of it,it was in the 12's.If you plan on hauling anything in the box,the payload on the R/T is lower,as they have softer more progressively wound rear springs,which gives it a better ride when both are empty,but loaded the Express has the capability of carrying more weight in the box compared to the R/T
Good point, thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that I think about it, there were a lot more changes made to the 2013's (a 5-yr mid-cycle refresh): The front bumpers are slightly different than the 12's (they don't interchange), ....the grille and some engine operational changes as I recall. The stamping dies were probably near the end of their life and they decided to make minor changes while they had to make new dies anyway (that's usually how things go in the mfg world). There's probably a lot of other subtle changes I'm forgetting, but you get the point. I'm sure if you do searches here, those were topics that were discussed quite a while ago.

From a strategic standpoint of long-term ownership and parts interchangeability, you'd be somewhat better off owning the 2014 because parts that are '12 and below will get more out of date sooner than those that fit 13 and newer (of which there are more tks around). I think we're talking minor things, here, esp if you never wreck the truck or don't plan on significant mods. But worth pointing out. As far as the rear diff, you can always re-gear any tk you buy.

I'd go with the one that has the best stereo!! LOL
A very good detailed information, thank you very much. Yes, I am planing to do a test drive on the rt tomorrow and next day on the 2014 express (they are more than 100 miles away. the rt look it is coming with the alpine audio system, that is a plus for me too

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those RF trannys are related. I wouldn't get caught up in 5-spd or 6-spd or 8-spd. I have vehicles which have 4, 5 and 6 speed tranny's. They all work ok. Yer not going to get 100mpg with any of them. Yer talking shades of gray in economy, which are easily mitigated by your driving style. If it's economy you're worried about you probably should be looking at a small car. I'm pretty sure all the 2012 Ram RF's were 6-spds, or the ones I've seen were.

What people don't always point out, is the more gears ya have the (often) more lag there is when you go to pass someone ...dead-spot during downshifting in many cases. Deadspots reduce spirited driving. On our older Jeep GC with a 5-spd V8, on the hwy, it almost never needs to downshift to pass. Put yer foot down, Boom! it goes RIGHT NOW ....the power is right there right now, and yer around that slow turkey before they knew what even happened!! he he. None of this slow 'wind-up' ..down shifting to get into the powerband to get up to speed, like someone's grabbed yer truck by the scruff and it's waiting for things to 'kick in'. And frankly, that can be one issue on the Rams when they're in the MDS (Economy) mode. You want to pass, there's a lag to come out of that mode and then find the 'right' tranny gear. Things fall flat in that 2 seconds.

Trannys with a lot of gears that are shifting all over the place up and down every start and stop, hill and noll ....might eek out another mpg or two, but can be awful to drive day in and day out. I like the gear-select toggle on the shifter that allows me to limit the top gear for times I'm not going real fast or on hills ....don't need to be shifting into the top gear or going into 6 or 4 cylinder mode.

You'll have to drive both trucks and see which one drives the way you like it the most. Pay attention to the lag and shifting like I described above. One may suit your driving expectations more than the other.
I hate the MDS syst. On my recent sold 2017 with 8 spd, the first thing I did every time I get out of neutral was press the -/+ buttons to disable the MDS, even in the hwy I never used because they get a really funny sound, specially if you have an exhaust system set up. BTW, on my last road trip I drove one way with the MDS “on” and then, back home I disconnected it, and the fuel consumption was very similar, even the trip was 19 hrs straight.
Do you know if the 2012 or 2014 6/spd came with MDS?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know if the 2012 or 2014 6/spd came with MDS?

Mine's got it. I think yer going to find it on most 'modern' 1/2T pickups anymore. (correct me if I'm wrong). Companies want to claim high mpg's. Probably do just like you have been and turn off. At least you're not new to Rams. Shoot us some pics of the tks when you get it!!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I own a 2012 RT. I love everything about it except the 65RFE transmission. I wish it had the 66RFE, and much rather have the 8 speed. The 2nd to 3rd gear shift in the 65RFE is a joke to me. I had Hemifever add the 3rd gear in my tune but it feels like a waste, still to little RPM difference between 2, 3 and to much RPM difference going to 4th. Other than that I really like the console shifter, it does have 4.10 rear ratio and a higher stall converter. The RT's come with 22 in. wheels also if that means anything to you. It's not as big of a deal as it use to be but there are less RT's produced each year than there was 1970 Plymouth Superbird's (no comparison what so ever) just throwing that number out. If both of them are equal in mileage and condition I'd much rather have the RT in my opinion! Good luck in your choice!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine's got it. I think yer going to find it on most 'modern' 1/2T pickups anymore. (correct me if I'm wrong). Companies want to claim high mpg's. Probably do just like you have been and turn off. At least you're not new to Rams. Shoot us some pics of the tks when you get it!!
Here are two pic for the 2012 rt and the las rwo are from the 2014 express

Attachments

• 57139D27-C86E-4A3A-A3A8-1CF586C84A80.jpeg
    57139D27-C86E-4A3A-A3A8-1CF586C84A80.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1F4FDE19-4B05-4189-A4A8-BA6E2EC1C337.jpeg
    1F4FDE19-4B05-4189-A4A8-BA6E2EC1C337.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 3D3588C6-2B52-4B9B-B73B-02F25029140F.jpeg
    3D3588C6-2B52-4B9B-B73B-02F25029140F.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 0A2D5432-F3F6-40EB-BB39-BCE43186FF9F.jpeg
    0A2D5432-F3F6-40EB-BB39-BCE43186FF9F.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2012 RT. I love everything about it except the 65RFE transmission. I wish it had the 66RFE, and much rather have the 8 speed. The 2nd to 3rd gear shift in the 65RFE is a joke to me. I had Hemifever add the 3rd gear in my tune but it feels like a waste, still to little RPM difference between 2, 3 and to much RPM difference going to 4th. Other than that I really like the console shifter, it does have 4.10 rear ratio and a higher stall converter. The RT's come with 22 in. wheels also if that means anything to you. It's not as big of a deal as it use to be but there are less RT's produced each year than there was 1970 Plymouth Superbird's (no comparison what so ever) just throwing that number out. If both of them are equal in mileage and condition I'd much rather have the RT in my opinion! Good luck in your choice!
Thank you man. I am agree, rt will be better option, I am right now on my way to the dealer to drive test. My main concern for the rt is as per showing on the pictures, looks like it is less taken care, especially on the interior than the express. I will see after I check it later.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Both are fine looking trucks, don't see how you would go wrong either way. Looks like the RT has been lowered if you like that. The RT has part leather seats, and a console floor shifter and still has the 22 in. wheels also. It's all personal opinions but I of course am still leaning towards the RT! Good luck!

Elvira

Reaction score
The r/t is very nice and a more desired truck. The condition plays heavy with both, relating to the life it has had. I seen the web site for the 2012 but not the 2014 so could not value the interior with options. The express is a clean pallet too, ready for any upgrades being a plain truck, both being the same colour. Dual exhaust on the r/t and the express ? The Ram that is owned by 2012ram1500rt is very nice condition and a deal breaker, but cannot compare the 2. The 2014 will hold a little higher value maybe as yrs go on, but the r/t will be a harder truck to find to buy. I guess i am not much help with your decision, you will choose what you like the best, lots of luck and hope which ever you buy turns out to be the truck you want. Any lifter problems have probably been dealt with on the mileage showing or they are okay, transmission, I am not sure if the 2014 has the updated one or not.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The r/t is very nice and a more desired truck. The condition plays heavy with both, relating to the life it has had. I seen the web site for the 2012 but not the 2014 so could not value the interior with options. The express is a clean pallet too, ready for any upgrades being a plain truck, both being the same colour. Dual exhaust on the r/t and the express ? The Ram that is owned by 2012ram1500rt is very nice condition and a deal breaker, but cannot compare the 2. The 2014 will hold a little higher value maybe as yrs go on, but the r/t will be a harder truck to find to buy. I guess i am not much help with your decision, you will choose what you like the best, lots of luck and hope which ever you buy turns out to be the truck you want. Any lifter problems have probably been dealt with on the mileage showing or they are okay, transmission, I am not sure if the 2014 has the updated one or not.
Thank you @Elvira for the compliments on my truck. I have almost 140,000 miles on mine. I didn't buy it new and I had to get a few dings/dents out of it but it couldn't have been a much nicer truck new than I have it now. You'll probably find a few things it needs that you may not see up front but you can bring it up to your liking/standards over time. I don't know what you have to pay for them and I wouldn't ask but with the mileage they have I wouldn't worry about either. Mine is a garage queen some may say but it is driven 300 to 500 miles every weekend, we use it on vacation, I take it to the dragstrip a few times a year and not afraid to go anywhere in it. My wife even enjoys it with me. Once again, good luck with your choice!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are both nice trucks! I would say for sure dont be afraid of the 12. Minus the transmission not being that great, mines never given me any issues. I have 3.92s and I feel like it has more low end which I personally like vs my Charger. The 8speed is great. A lot better built transmission IMO. The leather in the 12 looks ok. I see some stitching that is coming lose. Id want to see the seats unconditioned as that can really mask a lot of things. The expresses interior looks great. I would look at idle time, oil pressure, and just drive them. Make sure the fluid in both transmissions looks good and isn't burnt smelling. Not sure if I missed it, but any back history or maintenance history? How many owners etc. That is usually how I buy a vehicle. Either one from pictures on a computer look good. If you were in the DFW area, I would totally go with you to look at them. Good luck to you!

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, both have dual exhaust, same engines and transmissions, just diff rear axle ratio. Th express is bench cloth seats. I am checking the rt today and the express tomorrow, they are far apart in distance.

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are both nice trucks! I would say for sure dont be afraid of the 12. Minus the transmission not being that great, mines never given me any issues. I have 3.92s and I feel like it has more low end which I personally like vs my Charger. The 8speed is great. A lot better built transmission IMO. The leather in the 12 looks ok. I see some stitching that is coming lose. Id want to see the seats unconditioned as that can really mask a lot of things. The expresses interior looks great. I would look at idle time, oil pressure, and just drive them. Make sure the fluid in both transmissions looks good and isn't burnt smelling. Not sure if I missed it, but any back history or maintenance history? How many owners etc. That is usually how I buy a vehicle. Either one from pictures on a computer look good. If you were in the DFW area, I would totally go with you to look at them. Good luck to you!
The rt had 3 owners and the express had two. Thank you bud for the advice, I really appreciate. One truck is in Austin tx, the other is in Tyler, 3 hrs apart

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rt had 3 owners and the express had two. Thank you bud for the advice, I really appreciate. One truck is in Austin tx, the other is in Tyler, 3 hrs apart
No problem at all. We used to have a lake house in Tyler. I frequent Austin often as well. Those are both a drive. GL let me know if you need any help with the 12. I know them pretty good. To me the 12 was the last really great model year. You just dont see the issues with the 09-12s like you do 13+. Not sure why, but they just dont.

OP
OP
MOPAR LOVER

MOPAR LOVER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem at all. We used to have a lake house in Tyler. I frequent Austin often as well. Those are both a drive. GL let me know if you need any help with the 12. I know them pretty good. To me the 12 was the last really great model year. You just dont see the issues with the 09-12s like you do 13+. Not sure why, but they just dont.
I am almost at the dealer. I will keep you posted after the test drive.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca