HELP... pillar trim question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
Hey everybody! Still pretty new here, but I recently inherited my Dad's 96 Ram 1500. It had been sitting for years and I want to start to restore it. I'm no mechanic but also not afraid to work on things myself.
Anyway, the headliner was a mess so I figured I'd start there. When I started removing the trim, the driver side pillar trim cracked while I was removing it. I thought I was being careful but I think it was just baked and brittle from the sun. Come to find out that that specific part is now discontinued!
Anyone have any advice on how I can go about this? Super glue? Anyone know of any 2nd hand shops that might have this specific part? Anyone else run into this problem when doing their headliner? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
boochamp

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
I think your best source is a local auto upholstery shop for advice.
I guess I should have mentioned that I already replaced the headliner and am pleased with the results. I just now have the broken driver's side pillar frame to figure out.

IMG_5357.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

Reactions: Mop

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Try car-part.com and search for interior - complete. Call some of the yards to see if the y have the piece you need and will sell it separately.

OP
OP
boochamp

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
That's a good idea. I didn't think to call the yards. Thanks

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
I think I have one I can mail you. Gotta look around. I did an extended cab to quad cab swap, so I have some of the extended cab parts laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
boochamp

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
I think I have one I can mail you. Gotta look around. I did an extended cab to quad cab swap, so I have some of the extended cab parts laying around.

Oh wow! That would be awesome. Thanks so much

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Oh wow! That would be awesome. Thanks so much

I did a quick look the other day and I didn’t see anything. But I still have a lot of crap around in the garage because of this swap. Things are slowly being put back in, so I’ll know for sure in a few days when I have more room to move things around.

OP
OP
boochamp

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
I have the passenger side. But I’m still looking!!!

You're the best for even looking. Really appreciate it. Called a couple yards and went to one the other day that had a '97 but the thing had been stripped clean. Thanks again Stox!

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Still keeping an eye out. I’m in the home stretch for putting the interior back in, so I’ll be freeing up a lot of room in the garage shortly. Check local Craigslist and Offer Up ads for dude partying out trucks. That’s how I found the complete interior for my quad cab. Seats and all the trim pieces for $200 bucks.

Stox5225

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Diesel
Sorry man. No go on the driver side piece. Not sure why I would have chucked it and not the passenger side.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
You could fix this if it was done carefully.

Get yourself a small fiber glass repair kit. It have a piece of mat, epoxy gel, and hardner.

Carefully sand the inside of of the pieces so you don't damage them more.

Cut a piece of mat to fit about 6 inches length wise over the damage area. If the piece is broken length wise cut the piece fill the inside.
You will have to clear off an area to lay the piece on for drying. Use blocks or other items to cradle and hold the pieces steady.
Lastly, put down a piece of wax paper so your part doesn't adhere to the bench.

Mix up some epoxy gel and coat the inside of the pieces. lay the mat into the gel and tamp it gently into place. You may want to wear gloves. Make sure you press out all the air bubbles. If you didn't have enough to cover the top of the matting, don't worry.

Allow 24 hours to dry hard. At this time, lightly sand any exposed epoxy and then apply another coat of epoxy on top of the matting. Keep everything smooth so the finished part will pop into place. You need just enough epoxy to lightly cover the matting and blend into the previous epoxy. Lumps or tall bumps may impede the installation.. If need be you can sand the dried epoxy down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956