help please 2019 ram 1500 rear caliper issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L3901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I screwed up replacing the rear brakes today. I hung the caliper to remove the rotor and didn't think first. I put the truck in neutral to turn the rotor as I pounded on it to remove it which required me to step on the brakes. the piston came out of the caliper, and I cannot get it back in. I can't find any information online about this. am I screwed or can this be fixed? I can get it started but I cannot compress it. I have the truck in brake service mode. I opened the bleeder and tried with a c clamp it won't budge. I am told by the local autoparts it's a dealer part which I am expecting to not be available because of how my luck goes. any help would be appreciated as the truck is now stuck immobile in the center of my garage hanging out the door.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it a 19 classic? Or is it the newer body 19 with the electric emergency brake? If it’s the classic 19 the piston should go in but will take a little work to slip it past the seal. Not sure exactly how but I’m sure you could YouTube a video on rebuilding brake calipers and just fast forward to putting them back together.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did a car with electronic parking brakes, it has a housing with two screws#10 took them off and pulled the housing off the caliper it is a little motor controlled to tighten the brakes when you engage the parking brake. when the housing came off there was a stud there. I put a socket on a drill and put in rev, and it backed the piston down into the caliper. Do you have a similar box on the side of the caliper? The dealer has a computer program to back the piston back into the caliper, but I did it this way.

OP
OP
L

L3901

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I does have the housing and the electronic parking brake. I have the truck in brake service mode and I could hear the brakes retract when I enabled service mode. I will try to use a socket and screw it back down.