HELP - Purchasing a Ram and I need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything used is a gamble if you don’t know the owner and how it was driven since new, service records etc. Idling is the enemy of the Hemi 5.7L from my understanding, poor oil circulation to the upper parts of the engine and lifters etc. which gets up to the top better when the revs are up past 2000 rpm (like when actually driving and not possible when sitting idling) Aside from having a trusted mechanic check it out, if they never reset the engine counter for driving / idling see what percent has been spent idling and if that amount is high in comparison to driving hours I would definitely pass on it.

If I personally was going to spend any good amount on a vehicle I’d prefer it be new so I know exactly how it was driven and the service done on it. You get what you pay for, and anything used is a guessing game whether it’s decent or a money pit in Rams clothing.
Actually, you DON'T know "exactly how it was driven". Worked at a dealership --you wouldn't believe the way the vehicles are driven before you ever see them. It was common practice to take a van load of salespeople and other staff to the storage lot to bring inventory to the main showroom/lot. Cars could be covered with a foot of snow and ice with temps near zero and the drivers would start them and drive WOT with no warm-up time.
There is no way to avoid this--and nothing you can do about it, but don't kid yourself that the dealership personnel treated your car/truck gently.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
About a year ago, I test drove a 2020 RAM Laramie and what a sweet ride it was. Saved up some cash and bought a 2021 Limited off the lot with 34 miles on it. It’s my pre-retirement gift to myself and now I look for reasons to drive her besides the work commute. “Hon, you need to go to the store, can I take you?” “Your Mom wants to go out to dinner?” We drive over, lower the air suspension and an 89yo can get in and out. It’s a luxury SUV with a bed. Picnic on the beach, no problem: load up chairs, tables, umbrellas, coolers and 5 people can ride. Point is think about what your useage would be and try before you buy