HELP - Purchasing a Ram and I need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruntledlark

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's an example of just how crazy the pricing has gone. I bought a used 1500 Classic from a dealer last year when the original lockdown first eased up. I paid $25k. Since December I keep getting emails from the vendor wanting to buy my truck back to boost their inventory. They offered me $32k plus a "deal" on a new truck. Sorry, not gonna trade my paid off $25k truck for a new truck mortgage of $55k.

theclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here would be my list if I was you.

1. Vehicle history
2. Lower miles
3. Has 8 speed automatic
4. Have a good mechanic look at it.

I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles. I got so tired of looking for a used ram between the high prices and having to sift through all the used and abused vehicles and scams I gave up and bought new. Good luck. Patients pays off.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I would buy anything new over anything used. But maybe for many that is not realistic and I understand that.
My advice coming from 35 years in the automobile business from mechanic to dealership owner would be to keep looking.
165,000 miles is asking for trouble and in time that trouble will show up sooner than later.
Ask this question. Why did the last owner of this particular vehicle pick this time to trade or sell at 165,000 miles. He knows something that you don't.
You can bet it was a mechanical decision rather than a cosmetic one.
I traded a Ram with only 64,000 miles that looked and drove like brand new at 14 years old. The power steering rack was leaking badly, the water pump had started leaking and the brakes were about done.
And consider this - Everything else on that truck was 14 years old. Think about it.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep shopping... you'll find one with lower mileage....
I've had NO ISSUES at ALL with mine, even tho it's just 68,000 miles now, it's all about maintenance and caring for a vehicle period.
I believe you are shopping the right truck.
No blind spot issues for me, you can also add cameras around the vehicle pretty reasonable
Good luck!

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Honestly with the used market prices so high, you may be better off finding a really good dealer with inventory in the lot and buying new at a good discount/deal vs going used. You’ll have a warranty, and more importantly you’ll know how it was driven since day one buying new. With a used truck you have no idea if it was broken in correctly, if the owner idled the engine a lot or not (which is TERRIBLE for any engine but especially the Hemi 5.7L as the oil doesn’t reach up to the lifters as much as it could or should when idling resulting in the ‘tick’ everyone talks about). And you also know the truck wasn’t abused and off-roaded badly, modified half assed by the owner or burnouts all the time etc. I know in my area I was looking at used originally and new offered a similar overall price, way better bank loan interest, and they want to move new units off the lot and not have them sit too long so there’s a better chance at a great deal vs. Used which is in high demand and they’re less likely to negotiate on price with. My advice, if you want the better interest rate, and peace of mind knowing exactly how the truck and engine has been used, go with a new truck. You get what you pay for in everything, so the cheaper and older a truck you go with, the more likely you’ll be running into issues with the engine, more wear and tear on it, and the unknown of where and how the truck was used.

dadbern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
you can but aftermarket towing mirrors on ebay or amazon for a good price, these have two mirror sections you can adjust to take away any blind spot. They are bot too wide either, I have them on my truck. I have the power fold, heated mirrors and I got both, plus the stiffening bracket and riv gun for less than 400.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just keep looking and sit on the sidelines a couple months longer. Fuel prices are going to go way up, truck prices will come down.

The way it looks, Putin is going to just hammer and level Ukraine, many more people will die, starve, a human catastrophe is on the horizon. People will watch it on TV. Once Ukraine starts receiving the weapons from the west it'll turn into a slog. Countries will stop buying Russian oil or throttle way back, markets will be destabilized. The world can pump more but that takes a while. Some Russian oil products, beyond crude are difficult to make up for. And that's assuming Putin doesn't do something REALLY stupid.

Anyway, $5/gasoline might look real cheap in the not too distant future. Gas-guzzling truck sales will plummet. Boom!! Fantastic time to snap up a used truck/SUV. I might be looking out for a newer Jeep GC.

Down the road we'll all be remembering the record truck prices that ended in Feb/Mar 2022.

_

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I sold a Dodge Ram 5.7l with 144,000 miles
That was in 2016 & the guy that bought it is local & he drives by my place every once in a while, smiling & waving.
I always changed the oil before it was due.

Anyone look at places like Carvana & Vroom ?

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
The most reliable engine is the 6 cylinder. It has plenty of power unless you're drag racing or towing loads. The gassers for drag racing or if you want extra power, diesel for towing/working hard.

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
you can but aftermarket towing mirrors on ebay or amazon for a good price, these have two mirror sections you can adjust to take away any blind spot. They are bot too wide either, I have them on my truck. I have the power fold, heated mirrors and I got both, plus the stiffening bracket and riv gun for less than 400.
I sold a Dodge Ram 5.7l with 144,000 miles
That was in 2016 & the guy that bought it is local & he drives by my place every once in a while, smiling & waving.
I always changed the oil before it was due.

Anyone look at places like Carvana & Vroom ?

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello 2015 Ram owner. Husband passed away and I know nothing from nothing so this poor truck is at my mercy and it’s been very reliable. I’ve had to replace a starter and a tail light bulb. It has a Hemi engine that runs pretty quiet and I haven’t noticed a blind spot. I absolutely love this thing but sadly I’m on a fixed income and thanks to the high gas prices, I may have to sell it for …… shudder… a 4 cylinder to save money.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I need help. I am in the market for a Ram 1500, preferably a 4th gen, crew cab, short bed 4WD. Ill be honest I do not have a huge budget, and looking at trucks im noticing that all the trucks are super high milage. I know the car market is on fire and prices are up but I have a few questions and I thought it would be best to ask here:

Is the 5.7 HEMI reliable? like to the point where I wont have to worry about purchasing a Ram with over 100K miles? If it isnt whats the best engine to lean towards in terms of reliability?

Do 4th gen 1500s have blind spot? I live around a big city and I frequently commute into the city and honestly having blind spot is pretty important.

This is my first time buying a Ram. ive loved them for a while but just havent had the budget for a pickup. Ive heard they are big vehicles and drive as such, this must be a hard question to ask but is it hard to drive one? Are there any specific items/extras on a Ram that I should look for?

Thank you all for helping I am really lost in what to get. Any advice would help so much.
I have a 2004 Ram with 116,000 miles. The truck runs great with regular maintenance. I just replaced the cat back duals I've had on it since new.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just keep looking and sit on the sidelines a couple months longer. Fuel prices are going to go way up, truck prices will come down.

The way it looks, Putin is going to just hammer and level Ukraine, many more people will die, starve, a human catastrophe is on the horizon. People will watch it on TV. Once Ukraine starts receiving the weapons from the west it'll turn into a slog. Countries will stop buying Russian oil or throttle way back, markets will be destabilized. The world can pump more but that takes a while. Some Russian oil products, beyond crude are difficult to make up for. And that's assuming Putin doesn't do something REALLY stupid.

Anyway, $5/gasoline might look real cheap in the not too distant future. Gas-guzzling truck sales will plummet. Boom!! Fantastic time to snap up a used truck/SUV. I might be looking out for a newer Jeep GC.

Down the road we'll all be remembering the record truck prices that ended in Feb/Mar 2022.

_
Record Truck prices in Feb/Mar 22. Some of your logic is correct but you are missing a very very big picture. Yes, trucks seem like gas guzzlers, but I have car rated at 35mg and never got more 26 mpg. Forget ratings as done now. But at least both trucks I own get what they are rated or better. , both around 22 mpg. Its not enough a difference from a eco car from what I am seeing to make a huge difference.

Interests rates are very low right now and going up too. If a truck is 5k higher than should be right now, it is easily offset in interest for used vehicles right now. waiting may not make much of difference unless you are a cash buyer, and if you are , 5k and gas prices are likely not an issue for you.

and finally, when the government printed money and spent like drunken sailors, hyper inflation is happening and willl happen - Meat prices up 250% , metal 300% , lumber 350% , fuel 100% , homes 30%. There is no pull back coming. The true economics of dumping this much printed money, is actually greater than the fiat currency effect we see. In actuality prices for homes tripling in the next 5 years is a real thing. An average car will be 100k or maybe more. an average home likely over 800k. Its over $420k now. And you think buying a truck at 30-45k is a problem when the new ones are 68k and up?

Careful with your advice. If you are right , you gain not much if anything, if I am right, you could put yourself out of owning a truck forever.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One other final note: People who buy SUVs , may have issues with gas mileage. People who buy fullsize trucks mostly buy them , because they need a truck. its not an option to buy a small tiny fuel efficient car, They use them for work, towing, etc. They are not going to be dumped because some can chose to drive a tiny car or electric car.

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Anything used is a gamble if you don’t know the owner and how it was driven since new, service records etc. Idling is the enemy of the Hemi 5.7L from my understanding, poor oil circulation to the upper parts of the engine and lifters etc. which gets up to the top better when the revs are up past 2000 rpm (like when actually driving and not possible when sitting idling) Aside from having a trusted mechanic check it out, if they never reset the engine counter for driving / idling see what percent has been spent idling and if that amount is high in comparison to driving hours I would definitely pass on it.

If I personally was going to spend any good amount on a vehicle I’d prefer it be new so I know exactly how it was driven and the service done on it. You get what you pay for, and anything used is a guessing game whether it’s decent or a money pit in Rams clothing.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ANY vehicle really, can last a long time if properly taken care of. This past year or so, I was watching a show where there was this Volvo that had documented over 3 million miles, I think it was. Getting a professional to look at a vehicle you are considering buying, if you trust their judgement, is never a bad thing, unless that is what you do for yourself. Just one thing to remember, and I found this out the hard way. The last truck I owned that I consider "full size" was a 92 Chevy with a standard cab and an 8' bed. My most recent, before my '21 Ram (quad cab) is a short bed (6'4" I believe) Silverado with Standard (2 dr) cab, and driving the Ram, which is even longer than my 92, takes some getting used to. My Silverado also has an aftermarket cap on it, with solid sides (no cap side windows), so I have a huge blind spot on it. The only real blind spots I noticed on my Ram are right next to the truck, just trying to make sure I pull into the space between the lines when parking. The Ram is also too long to fit end to end inside really any standard parking space these days. I can't imagine a crew cab, even with a super stubby bed would be any different.

As far as failing a VA state inspection, I was in Norfolk for a time when I was in the Navy, and brought my own personal vehicle there from my home state. It failed that inspection the first couple of times.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
You ask a question that is almost impossible to answer with any credibility. Let me provide enough background to paint a frame for my answer. I currently own a 76, 86, 96, 98, 2002, 2005, 2007 group of RAM 1500’s. Including two friends, I work on a 95, 99, 2000, and 2009 RAM 1500. I was a professional bonified, certified Bow Tie technician for 8 years prior to moving into the IT world. My house looks like your local independent service shop. With that said and $4.85 cents I can get a coffee at Starbucks. With that said, each truck has a personality all its own, requiring its own kind of lovin. My 86 has went to hell and back twice, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The 02 on the other hand has to be coddled with tender loving care, it doesn't like the cold, or when its to hot and if it rains forget about it. The point, each vehicle is unique in some ways.

To answer your questions.

Is the 5.7 HEMI reliable? As reliable as any other engine. However, is that the question you want to ask? Reading into the question, I think you are asking, is the hemi “Bullet Proof”? Like some of the previous standards, Ford 302, Chevy 305 etc. Frankly the answer is “no”. However, that answer is the same for all manufactures. The primary reason for this, no manufacturer is completely making all the components that comprise a single engine. There is currently an ongoing debate (to be nice) about quality control. I won’t walk into the crossfire. It is apparent there are issues regardless. My personal experience with the HEMI is 5 and 2. Meaning I routinely service and repair 7 HEMI’s. 5 of them 100% had exhaust manifold bolt failures. (This is not bad) One had a head crack, cam failure and an intake manifold warp. All prior to 75k miles (Note this was a Dodge Durango not a RAM) The second had the head crack (Note this was a 98 charger not a RAM). Take that for what it’s worth, yes, I repaired them all. All the pre 2003 rams have a 318 or 360 in them. All of them have over 300k. I have only had to rebuild one of them and that was because the owner of that one didn’t realize the water pump failed as well the indicator light. This is my reasoning for saying the HEMI is not quote “Bullet Proof” as the term is often used.

Are there blind spots? I currently drive a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd Laramie Crew Cab Short Bed. Of all the Dodge rams they all have blind spots. Some worse than others. My 86 Ram Charger is probably the best for lack of blind spots. The 2007 is a “B**TCH” in the right rear of the cab. That’s all I can speak to. The best bet would be to drive it if you can prior to purchasing it.

Are RAMs hard to drive? The truck is wonderful to drive, eazzy peezy. I suspect you are talking about maneuvering. My 2002 Ram is a Single cab short bed Like a 114” wheelbase. I can turn that truck on a dime. My 2007 has a 160” wheelbase, I need a Walmart parking lot to do a U turn in. (slight exaggeration). Point being, when I drive in DC, a u turn is not an option. That will be a major consideration for you as far as the question you asked.

You asked for opinion about a 4th gen with 100K+ miles. My thoughts, at that mileage and age I suspect most of the “stuff” that could be wrong would be. (minus the cam, lifter issue) If the engine idles smooth with no noise (out of the ordinary), it accelerates with no hesitation or knocking and the shift points are smooth, If it were me, I would feel confident in that purchase.

For me, my concern in the later trucks, 4th gen and up is the amount of electronic control aka computer control incorporated in the vehicle not just the drive train. When it works, they are wonderful. When it doesn’t and it’s not under warranty you have entered the “suck zone”. Some of those parts are so expensive it kills the Return On Investment of the vehicle. However, that’s more user preference then mechanical reliability.

I will tell you driving the RAM is a blast. Of course, that’s a user preference as well, lol. I do enjoy the RAM.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try to find a 17 or newer they have the revised design lifters.
Check idle hours, make sure they’re not excessive.
Maintenance records, including transmission fluid changes. Ram says they’re sealed units but the manufacturer (ZF) calls for fluid changes at specific intervals. I would want a truck that’s had that done.

Do you plan on towing anything big like a camper? If so know what your weights are as you can quickly find yourself over payload in 1500’s. Actually check payload on the door sticker period. Based on the trim levels others have reported payloads as low as 776lbs. To me that’s ludacris. 4 guys in the truck your over payload with nothing else in the bed or in tow.

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drive before you buy!!!!
I can't believe how often THIS simple advice is ignored. People get so caught up in the emotion of " I have to have a _______" so they buy the first one they see. I have a friend who HAD to have a Jeep YJ (?) and he had 4 main "requirements"--1) in-line 6 cyl, 2) Manual trans, 3) Hard top 4) no frame rust in typical places or repaired. He bought the first one he saw in his price range-- and worries about the noisy 6 cyl, it has no hard top so he complain about the wind noise and the cold. He complains about the poor fuel mileage. he complains about the driving characteristics and says he can't drive faster than 40 mph---- DID HE EVEM DRIVE IT BEFORE PURCHASING???
Of course not--it ticked off the "boxes" he thought he wanted.
As mentioned above--observe from a COLD start--the Owner doesn't "do you a favor" by having it all warmed up when you arrive.
DRIVE it --just like you plan to use it.
Have a mechanic look it over--pay the man for his time! Make sure he/she is working for you and not the seller.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45