Help with headlight conversion DRL issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m hoping someone on here will have the answers I’m looking for.

I upgraded my factory Quad style headlights to the OEM LED Projector style headlights with the use of a wiring harness from ‘Retroshop’. The wiring harness allows the Projector headlights to simply plug into the Quad headlight wiring.

The lights work fine apart from the DRL’s. The DRL’s on my 2017 Ram (Quad lights) are on the high beam circuit whereas the DRL’s on the Ram’s that come with Projector headlights are on the turn signal circuit. The LED’s work great as turn signals but aren’t activated as DRL’s. I love the look of the amber LED’s as daytime running lights.

Im sure there are people out there who have done this same headlight conversion and come across the same issue. I wanted to know if there was any way to bypass the wiring so that my truck activates the turn signal circuit for my DRL’s instead of sending power through the high beam circuit.

(Yes I know I should have just bought the upgraded model)

RAMBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi there, I just did the same thing and have been trying to figure a way out to swap the DRL from high beam to the led signals.. Did you have any luck with Stimpy433's link?

2019Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the same boat. Only difference is I took my projectors apart and installed switchback panels. Since the quad equipped trucks don't have a DRL wire like the projector equipped truck, I'm going to run signal wire from the fusebox to operate during the day.

2019Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought some used projector housings and opened them up. I installed Diode Dynamic switchback and Morimoto projectors.

My RAM had regular lights from the factory, so the DRL circuit is not there.

I took the DRL signal wires from the switchback and wired them to a tap on the fuse box going to the cigarette lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

I took the DRL signal wires from the switchback and wired them to a tap on the fuse box going to the cigarette lighter.
I just added the DRL circuits to my truck that also came with the factory quads. If you have the DRL circuits in the body connector under the fuse box, you can order some extended length pigtails from Mike at M² Mods

Look in the Modifystreet headlight thread to verify if the wires are ran from the BCM already: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/anyone-try-modifystreet-headlights.137858/
How to turn the DRLs on is on the first post of the AlfaOBD thread.

Guillermo Arevalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought some used projector housings and opened them up. I installed Diode Dynamic switchback and Morimoto projectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what tap did you end up using? im having an issue with my dd switchback boards where the drl is amber not white

2019Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what tap did you end up using? im having an issue with my dd switchback boards where the drl is amber not white

You might have turn signal enabled as DRL. You need to turn that off. The switchbacks I have have a DRL wire. I routed that wire outside the housing and then put a TAP on the cigarette lighter fuse - connected the DRL signal to that. The DRL is on when the truck is on.

Guillermo Arevalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might have turn signal enabled as DRL. You need to turn that off. The switchbacks I have have a DRL wire. I routed that wire outside the housing and then put a TAP on the cigarette lighter fuse - connected the DRL signal to that. The DRL is on when the truck is on.
Yeah that ended up being the issue but now whenever I use my turn signal with the headlights on I get a “marker light out” message