Help with power steering pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YellowTruckMan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7
FADE3C20-AA05-4FA9-9E6B-EB1514254C52.jpeg
My power steering pump pulley broke yeste Day while driving. Only has about 20k miles on the whole new pump and pulley. 60k on the truck, I need ideas on how to get it off Because the tool won’t work because theirs not enough pulley is left to put it on. Need ideas or any help if anybody can

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The puller should go around the metal with the lip on it . Looks about 1 1/4 inch across . Pretty sure ?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My first thought is, where did you get the new pump, and does it have any kind of warranty. No way a pulley should ever break, I have never seen that before. That said, any three jaw gear puller should be able to remove that quite easily.

1687116542910.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
View attachment 523218
My power steering pump pulley broke yeste Day while driving. Only has about 20k miles on the whole new pump and pulley. 60k on the truck, I need ideas on how to get it off Because the tool won’t work because theirs not enough pulley is left to put it on. Need ideas or any help if anybody can
Pull the pump and find somebody with a press and bearing splitter.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Power steering pump pulleys have there own special pulley. NEVER use a 3 jaw puller.
The puller is a clamshell design and are available at Autozone to use for free or purchase the kit. The clamshell grips the ring at the end of the pulley. To install, they get pushed on flush either with the proper tool or by using a bolt, washer, and a nut to press it on.

On edit I included a picture of the 2 different styles.
Screenshot_20230618-161543_Google.jpg

OP
OP
Y

YellowTruckMan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7
It’s an aftermarket power steering pump from rock auto, has a warranty alreayd warranties the pulley it’s gonna be here Tuesday. We got a new one when a mechanic at my dads work told us it was going bad bc we heard a whining noise when really it was my idler pulley squeaking. Big mishap but ended up spending 600 all together for it for a 20$ fix. Probably only 20-30k on the new pulley not sure how it broke unless the mechanic did something wrong no reason it should have blown up like it did. Also hit some sort of line that sprayed all over the engine and made it hiss from the hot engine. Not sure what fluid yet didnt have a smell or taste, checked all fluids and all are full so that’s kinda confusing. I’ll try and go to auto one and get one, thank you guys
Edit: got a whole new power steering pump not just a pulley that I was talking abt spending 600$ for

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Power steering pump pulleys have there own special pulley. NEVER use a 3 jaw puller.
The puller is a clamshell design and are available at Autozone to use for free or purchase the kit. The clamshell grips the ring at the end of the pulley. To install, they get pushed on flush either with the proper tool or by using a bolt, washer, and a nut to press it on.

On edit I included a picture of the 2 different styles.
View attachment 523223
Normally i would agree with u but if you look at the picture i don't think there is enough pulley left to do that. Good part is, OP says it is under warranty from Rock Auto. Just swap pumps, no need to figure out how to get the pulley off. :)

OP
OP
Y

YellowTruckMan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7
Normally i would agree with u but if you look at the picture i don't think there is enough pulley left to do that. Good part is, OP says it is under warranty from Rock Auto. Just swap pumps, no need to figure out how to get the pulley off. :)
The power steering pump we got didn’t come with a pulley it had to be bought separate. So we can only warranty the pulley

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Fyi. The pullers grab that ring at the end of the shaft. You can see it if you zoom in. A jaw puller can't grab it.
I just saw his latest post. The new pump hopefully comes with the pulley installed. I've bought them either way, with or without the pulley.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Fyi. The pullers grab that ring at the end of the shaft. You can see it if you zoom in. A jaw puller can't grab it.
I just saw his latest post. The new pump hopefully comes with the pulley installed. I've bought them either way, with or without the pulley.
You are spot on, when i zoomed in there is enough of the collar to use a standard puller. WAY better way of getting it off.

OP sorry it was only the pulley that was covered. That is more work.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are spot on, when i zoomed in there is enough of the collar to use a standard puller. WAY better way of getting it off.

OP sorry it was only the pulley that was covered. That is more work.
BOIRD not no ASE type of certified mechanic but that is the 1st Time I have ever seen a pulley break on a Power Steering shaft, new one on me. And I have put on a pump or two, LOL.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
BOIRD not no ASE type of certified mechanic but that is the 1st Time I have ever seen a pulley break on a Power Steering shaft, new one on me. And I have put on a pump or two, LOL.
Junk composite. By the looks of it.

Edit: I'll take that back. You can have hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free. But composite pulleys can be fragile.
I don't know the OP's backstory or mechanic but, if you get a gorilla under the hood with pry bars or incorrect removal/ install of the pulley and crack the composite pulley, this is the kind of end results.

Last edited:

Delta11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pulley puller set I rented from Oreily does not work on a 2010 2500 5.7. The "clam shell" is too big for the outer ring to fit. Both sides of the clam shell are touching the shaft of the pulley yet the outer ring will not go on. Need a different kit. I tried holding the clam shells on with a pair of curved jaw channel locks and using my impact...No Go...maybe I will try a pipe wrench.

Found this site that sells Pullers for Dodge Ram https://www.carid.com/2010-dodge-ram-pulley-pullers/