Help with torsion keys!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
Ok so my torsion bar keys showed up and I had my guy install them this morning but I have a problem. When you start cranking them up the bolt starts to slide out towards the side see the pic below. Is this typical of dodges? I work at a GM dealership so my guys aren't to fimilar with dodges but he said he'd never seen this happen on a GM truck when he put keys on...

(the arrows show which direction the bolts are sliding towards)

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would happen if you cranked up the stock keys? I've done two Rams and one Chevy Z71 and the process was identical and I didn't notice any "sliding" of the bolt on any of them. BUT, I've always cranked the stock keys, never used a leveling key, never saw why you would need one myself.
I'm thinking it's the angle the bolt comes into contact with the key at, in other words it's the leveling key that's causing it...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You have the new keys installed already and you are tightening them back up now? Do you have the torsion bar tool?

I just installed a lift kit on an 05 with torsion bars and didn't have this trouble

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I have noticed that when the front end was unloaded fully on a lift. Whats up with the fresh weld on the keeper?

OP
OP
B

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
Whats up with the fresh weld on the keeper?

It's anti-seize not a weld...

My guy does have the torsion bar tool and is a professional tech at a dealership, He's afraid if we keep tightening the bolt it will pop out under load. I've been driving the truck all week as is and haven't have any problem but I want to crank the bars and get more lift. So far the front end has only raised 1" and is a ton softer than with factory keys. I'd like to get another 2" out of the keys...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You dont want to crank them up more then 2.5" total or you'll have no compression or rebound
I wouldn't go over 2" total
I've never done torsion bars before but I would guess this is a sign that they don't want to be tightened anymore(to much torque on the spring)

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still say there is something with those leveling keys. What brand are they? Done the crank on stock keys before more than once, got 2" and had no problems...

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
No not Typical, Did the bolt and camber piece fall out on the floor (was the bolt totally removed). Looks to me if you flip it around so the off center hole will be pointed outboard cutting into the key/rather than skimming off.

I thought the bolt was threaded straight through the beveled piece but I could be wrong. I never had a problem doing mine other than a big hole in my wallet for the pro ball joint service kit I had to buy.

Check if the other side is canted outward, if so my theory is correct and all is well if not and it is threaded straight then I would say its a rare defect that went unnoticed by the technician prior to initial dis-assembly and happened to be outboard. If not order a new bevel piece or worst case have one made from some round stock.

Last edited:

Mattyboy629

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Ok so my torsion bar keys showed up and I had my guy install them this morning but I have a problem. When you start cranking them up the bolt starts to slide out towards the side see the pic below. Is this typical of dodges? I work at a GM dealership so my guys aren't to fimilar with dodges but he said he'd never seen this happen on a GM truck when he put keys on...

(the arrows show which direction the bolts are sliding towards)

View attachment 4115

View attachment 4116
Did you ever figure out what the problem was because I am having the same exact problem right now I took my old keys out installed new keys and the same thing is happening