Help with Upgrade from 5.0 RA2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavesCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All -

I was directed here from a post I originally made on Reddit Car AV, and I have been reading some great info. So, I am excited to get some opinions here. I will try and provide a bunch of detail.

First, my truck as a 2018 Outdoorsman with the 5.0 RA2. Generally speaking, I am OK with most of the functionality of this radio and the nav I get with my cell phone. However, I would really like to improve the size of the navigation screen as my eyes could use the bigger view. Here are other things I like
  • Love the display for the factory rear view camera
  • The mics in the headliners seem to really work great
  • Dont have steering wheel controls, don't feel I am missing them
  • I like the way it reads my phone for media via bluetooth and the center console,
  • I like the XM
  • Generally like how easy it is to use when setting other settings.

If I am going to swap systems, here are a few more features I wouldn't mind upgrading or getting
  • Android Auto (don't think I can do or need wireless since I don't think my phone is capable)
  • Better voice to text for text messages. Kind of limited on this with my current system
  • Want to retain as much factory as possible - mostly the rear view camera, microphones and USB hub
  • Would like to be able to add other video - especially Youtube TV, Netflix,
  • If I am going to shoot for the moon - might as well add web surfing, email, etc.
I looked at both an upgrade to one of the newer 8.4 systems, and really the price is beyond my budget, especially if I want one with Android Auto. I also looked at the Tesla Style from places like Phoenix, and although appealing, it seems like all require me to lose physical AC controls. I like being able to manipulate those without looking - so want to keep my physical set up.

Whatever I do, I am looking for as plug n play as possible.

So, I have been looking at several aftermarket units. I started with, I think it was the Sony AX-100 (cheap, simple), and also the Alpine W650. I have kind of looked past those since they don't show as being fully integrated with Idatalink Maestro. The Alpine seems like it might have limited video capababilities.

Currently, given my requirements and wants, here is what I am leaning to
  • Kenwood-DMX7706S
  • Idatalink Maestro with CH3 harness - this is kind of a toss up for me. Most of what idatalink does like enhanced gauges, tpms, etc - not sure that I really want or need that, but if I have to use Maestro to retain rear view camera, etc - then I want as many features as possible.
Things I am not sure I need
  • Unclear on if I need a dash kit or bezel. I am pretty sure I will.
  • Unclear on if I need Nav1. If the head unit I am picking does have native nav, meaning whatever Nav I use is via my cell phone, I don't know what good this does me
  • Unclear on Sat 1. I like XM, but I am on a trial subscription for about another 7 months, If they raise my monthly, I won't renew. So, am hesitant to buy Sat 1, or even an XM tuner. If I have it correct, I could access XM via Android Auto and my phone.
  • Unclear on if I need anything to retain the USB hub in my console, or if that is even possible with my setup.
So, there is a lot of info. Possible feedback I am looking for could be
  • General opinions on this system design
  • How close or not close I will get to my desired list of functions
  • What am I missing
Thanks all in advance. I am sure I will have plenty of questions based on the responses.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's a lot here but I'm in a similar boat so I'll just give you the options I explored. I have a RA2 in an Express.

1. Alpine iLX-F259 ($599). Floating 9" headunit that keeps steering wheel controls and backup camera. This is not compatible with iDatalink and will not retain the factory USB. Just use the Metra adapter and no need to swap bezel and AC controls. The F309 is compatible with iDatalink but is $999 and outside your budget.

2. Kenwood or other 7" receiver. Use with the iDatalink to retain factory features. For a cleaner look, purchase single zone bezel, harness and module to use with Schosche bezel. I just don't like the basic Metra kit but it may work for you to keep costs down.

3. Upgrade to a UAS/UAQ. Might take a while to collect everything and the radio prices are through the roof (ebay level) at car-part, LKQ, and others now. This option is becoming prohibitively expensive.

Good luck...

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVW4500/Pioneer-AVH-W4500NEX.html
Going with a double din aftermarket unit you’ll need a bezel that’s will make it look good once it’s installed. There is a small bracket that will need to be cut inside the dash to make room for a double din radio. None of the radios will let you play video unless the parking brake is applied. So if you want to play video for your passengers while driving you’ll have to do a work around. With the one I got it’s easy. I bought from crutchfields and got everything I needed for install. I paid a little extra for them to make up the harness for me so it was completely plug and play. I also got the new USB port to replace the one in the console so it it still works just fine.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
D

DavesCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVW4500/Pioneer-AVH-W4500NEX.html
... With the one I got it’s easy. I bought from crutchfields and got everything I needed for install. I paid a little extra for them to make up the harness for me so it was completely plug and play. I also got the new USB port to replace the one in the console so it it still works just fine.

Did you use the Idatalink Maestro, or go without?

I have been doing a bit more research and more or less decided to go with Maestro. I don't particularly care for the all the added gauges, but it seems to be the one that most assures I will retain my rear view camera. I need to look again at the Metra XSVI-6523.

I also determined that I think my phone *could* work with wireless Android Auto. At first, I had presumed it wouldn't. Now I am trying to decide if the extra chunk of change is worth it to me. I've been looking at some JVCs on a couple websites that seem like the are pretty great value for the money. But, they aren't wireless.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use the Idatalink Maestro, or go without?

I have been doing a bit more research and more or less decided to go with Maestro. I don't particularly care for the all the added gauges, but it seems to be the one that most assures I will retain my rear view camera. I need to look again at the Metra XSVI-6523.

I also determined that I think my phone *could* work with wireless Android Auto. At first, I had presumed it wouldn't. Now I am trying to decide if the extra chunk of change is worth it to me. I've been looking at some JVCs on a couple websites that seem like the are pretty great value for the money. But, they aren't wireless.

I did do the Idatalink Maestro so I wouldn’t loose the ability to make changes to the oem settings. I added the radio control switches to my steering wheel and with the maestro they still work. I’ve had good luck with the pioneers before and with them also having pretty good reviews is why I went with one again.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
D

DavesCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Funny. Last night when you posted this, I was in the process of making my final selection.

I went with a Kenwood DMX905S. It is coming as refurbished, which I typically have good luck with. I went with the Kenwood due to positive reviews overall, I decided wireless Android Auto was a feature I wanted.

I had a choice between one with a DVD and one without. I went without which was a tough choice. My last unit, I had DVD and like it since there were times (hunting mostly) that I was out of cell range and liked to watch something mid-day. But, cell coverage has gotten much better, I can always load something onto a drive, and I tend to think the less things to break, the better.

Opposite of your experience, my last head unit was a Pioneer and I hated it, so couldn't bring myself to look at those.

I ended up going with the full Maestro array. That was also tough. I don't see myself using a lot of the enhanced gauge functionality, but like you, didn't want to lose the OEM settings. One of the main reasons I got this truck, also apparently like you, is to pull our camper. The main setting I was concerned about losing was trailer brake adjustment. Other setting, I probably could have lived with 'as is', but trailer brake was pretty important.

So, we will see how it turns out.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny. Last night when you posted this, I was in the process of making my final selection.

I went with a Kenwood DMX905S. It is coming as refurbished, which I typically have good luck with. I went with the Kenwood due to positive reviews overall, I decided wireless Android Auto was a feature I wanted.

I had a choice between one with a DVD and one without. I went without which was a tough choice. My last unit, I had DVD and like it since there were times (hunting mostly) that I was out of cell range and liked to watch something mid-day. But, cell coverage has gotten much better, I can always load something onto a drive, and I tend to think the less things to break, the better.

Opposite of your experience, my last head unit was a Pioneer and I hated it, so couldn't bring myself to look at those.

I ended up going with the full Maestro array. That was also tough. I don't see myself using a lot of the enhanced gauge functionality, but like you, didn't want to lose the OEM settings. One of the main reasons I got this truck, also apparently like you, is to pull our camper. The main setting I was concerned about losing was trailer brake adjustment. Other setting, I probably could have lived with 'as is', but trailer brake was pretty important.

So, we will see how it turns out.

Where did you buy it from?

Pulling my camper was one of the reasons for the truck, but the main one was for work. I need something to haul my 800+ lbs of tools and equipment to work. I had to upgrade the rear springs so it wouldn’t sag all the time. My truck didn’t come with the integrated trailer brake, but I made the dealer install it as part of the deal. I already had a good aftermarket trailer brake, but an integrated one works better in my opinion.

Does the head unit your buying have navigation or do you use a nav app on your phone? I could have upgraded my unit to have navigation or bought a model with it, but I prefer using Waze. How about you?

OP
OP
D

DavesCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought it from Sound of Tri-State but via Amazon. It was actually interesting in that I first started looking at an auction they had on Ebay, then that led me to their store. I then saw their products on Amazon for the same price. As much as I like going to the little guys (and mid guys) direct, for some purchases I like the security of the Amazon purchase guarantees and return policies. So, that is how I ended up buying on Amazon. In a general sense, I saw much better prices from Sonic, Tri-State, New Egg and so on than I did on Amazon so it was kind of quirky I ended up back there.

My truck is an Outdoorsman, so had the brake controller as standard, and again was a key factor in purchasing. Just for background, I had a low mileage 09 Silverado, but the infamous cylinder shut down feature failed on me last summer 5 days before I was supposed to start my vacation. So, after a couple days of the mechanic determining it was going to be a substantial re-build, I had literally one day, Saturday, to find a new vehicle. I first looked at a Ford, but that dealer was just too slimy to deal with. Second dealer had my Ram, loved the truck, loved working with the dealer and vacation was saved. In hindsight, the only I don't love about my Outdoorsman is the transfer case. Great torque when that sucker is locked in, but having the on demand like I had in my prior 3 trucks is something I kind of miss.

Overall, the Outdoorsman has been great at towing. In addition to the camper (roughly 5500 lbs), I also regularly tow a boat (19 ft fish/ski) and various farm/equipment trailers (probably less than 4500 lbs). No stock transport yet. In all case, it has been beautiful. I did recently add Air Lift to the rear springs.

In the Silverado, I had a Pioneer that was right before Android Auto hit big. Pioneer tried to do their own version, I can't remember what it was called, but it was horrendous. If I had it on maps (Waze or Google), I could only play radio. Any other music would stream through my phone speaker. Pandora and Spotify would routinely refuse to connect via the on screen App, so I would have to shift to BT streaming, and thus lose any presets. It was clunky, hard to use and prone to failure. I contacted Pioneer several times, got different explanations each time, and their warranty process was complicated with no local dealers. So, that is why I dislike Pioneer.

This head unit doesn't have Nav built it but it does have a Nav antenna. I admit I don't understand that all the way. But I did order the Nav1 adapter.

I tend to like to use Google maps. I typically place events in my calendar as schedule items with location, so one click and I am in maps mode. Mostly this works OK, but occasionally I get out of cell phone range and it has been dicey. Like a couple years ago out in Wyoming, and before that SW Colorado. So, I just need to make sure I am downloading off line maps.

For metro driving (Kansas City) I probably prefer Waze a little more, but for trip, long distance, or country driving, I think Google performs better.