Hemi Oil Filter, 2 part question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've owned three 5.7 Hemi's in a row and never had the so-called "Hemi Tick" supposedly generated by the valvetrain.

I have used the Fram Ultra filter in the past since it was rated at 8 micron filtration (most are rated 10-14 micron). When I found that the Mopar M-889 was rated at 8 micron I began using those.

I'm currently not paying for oil changes at my dealer so they give me the smaller M-339 filter.

On my 2010 I used several different 5-20W oils. Since then I've used Pennzoil Ultra 5-20W full synthetic exclusively (Ram certified).

I get the oil changed when the message pops up in the instrument cluster.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028129 miles.

2bikemike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use synthetic pennzoil oil also since it to me is a pure oil refined from natural gas not crude.
The Mobile 1 filter for synthetic is a fine filter. Wix also has a good one. Likely a few more available. I never use factory brand filters. They are mode for them and we don't know the origin.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I purchased my 07' quad cab 1500, rwd, 5.7L Hemi in December 2013 with around 57K miles on the odometer. At 60K miles I performed all the required maintenance including changing the engine oil and oil filter. I used AMSOIL 5W20XL engine oil and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic Oil Filter. Now at over 89K miles I still use AMSOIL synthetic engine oil, but it is 5W30XL along with the same Mobil 1 oil filters. MDS is turned off in my tune.

Additional Information:

30 Brands of Oil Filters are Manufactured by Champion Labs

Champion Laboratories, Inc. is the Private Label Supplier for Over 30 Private Label Automotive and Heavy-Duty Filter Lines.

We are a producer and distributor of a full spectrum of filtration products, from premium retail brands that are sold to many of the nation’s top automotive retailers to world-class, competitively priced products supporting nationally known private brands.

Champion Laboratories offers a full range of OE filtration solutions including air, oil (spin-on and cartridge), cabin air and fuel. Many of the world’s top vehicle and engine manufacturers rely on our quality and expertise for their OE filtration needs.

Our products are the preferred installed and aftermarket filters for several major manufacturers in the automotive, motorcycle, marine, heavy duty, small engine and powersports industries.

The AMSOIL oil filter is basically the same as the Royal Purple extended life oil filter. The only difference is that the AMSOIL filters cost more and don’t sport a fancy purple paint job. If you need further proof, they are both made by Champion Labs.

Last edited:

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think some of the filters talked about depend on geographic availability. When I bought my truck I found that the filters have the same threading as GM filters I used on my LS engine. I use the larger diameter K&N filter HP-2010 and it works well for me so far. I already have 20K miles on my truck in less than a year of ownership.

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just go over to Walmart and get a AC/Delco PF48E for under 5 bucks. Its a good OEM filter.
Don't get the E, they cheapened the PF48 when they replaced it with the PF48E. If you really want a GM part, get the PF48R, it's constructed much better, will withstand higher pressures. I use the PF 48R on my dry sump LS3.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been running the K&N Gold filters and PUP 5w20 for the last 3 years.
I’m currently changing to RP filters and Redline 5w20 this incoming oil change this week. Checking if this stuff settles down my valve train noise or not. If no change, will go back to the norm of the last 3 years.
There a thread on here about the Hemi tick and Redline that got me curious.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hand tight only, unless you have girly hands
You got a Pentastar you shouldn't be allowed to post on the HEMI forum. LOLOLOL just kidding.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You got a Pentastar you shouldn't be allowed to post on the HEMI forum. LOLOLOL just kidding.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, but I have other vehicles with regular oil filters, and every other vehicle I had my entire life had the regular filters.

But every time I read about you guys with the hemis whining about changing your oil filters I do LOL. In fact I'm going to do an oil change in a couple days and it'll take me about 20 minutes max. SO easy on a Pentastar... :D

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but I have other vehicles with regular oil filters, and every other vehicle I had my entire life had the regular filters.

But every time I read about you guys with the hemis whining about changing your oil filters I do LOL. In fact I'm going to do an oil change in a couple days and it'll take me about 20 minutes max. SO easy on a Pentastar... :D

Good comeback!:signs8:

Had an 11 F 150 v6 that i noticed they took the time to stamp out a little funnel and mounted it on the frame right under the drain bolt. So mad i didn't keep the truck long enough to change the oil.:mad:

Midloguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, other than the specs on the filter, how do you even know there’s any difference. Old dark oil is old dark oil when you drain it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd advise not getting hung up on RP 20-820 filter. The RP 20-500 is almost as big and is an exact fit. Or just go with Fram Ultra Synthetic XP 10060 and not worry about re-locating this. There's bigger fish to fry on these vehicles.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd advise not getting hung up on RP 20-820 filter. The RP 20-500 is almost as big and is an exact fit. Or just go with Fram Ultra Synthetic XP 10060 and not worry about re-locating this. There's bigger fish to fry on these vehicles.
The 20-820 fits stock too. I did it. Depends on availability but yes.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990