Oil filter removal on hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, is there a tool that reaches the oil filter on my 5.7 hemi that will help it to come off easier ???
I have to much arthritis to be muscling it off. I still like changing my own oil!

2017 longhorn

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless someone he man'd it on, an oil wrench/oil strap should loosen enough for you to turn off. Just got the Oil spray which is why I have an Oil Udder for this. There are also threads where people use 1 gallon or such plastic jugs for a way to direct oil drain from splashing all over steering setup. But you gonna have to reach up there and put whateva you use on the filter. I also have an oil filter metal cap that fits over the end of the filter with a 3/8th adapter to put an extension off of a 3/8th socket on to turn off the filter. I have one that fits my motorcycle and tractor. You would have to source if you went that route to get correct size to fit over end of filter.

This would work where it is adjustable depending upon filter size: Disregard the down for MX, just click on link. U may have an Advanced store in your town, I do not.

There are just so many options from Auto Stores: Above just one option: Google Oil Filter Removal Tool.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve been using the gear wrench oil strap ,seems to be pretty good. Poking a hole to let oil drain from filter before removing sure helps cut down on the mess. Wrapping the filter in zip lock bag is popular but it’s slippery once it starts draining , thus reason to punch hole first. Wrap rack and pinion in foil to keep clean .

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been using the gear wrench oil strap ,seems to be pretty good. Poking a hole to let oil drain from filter before removing sure helps cut down on the mess. Wrapping the filter in zip lock bag is popular but it’s slippery once it starts draining , thus reason to punch hole first. Wrap rack and pinion in foil to keep clean .
Yeah, with oil udder, Philips screw driver your friend, lol. I hate when others drain and soak rack, it has enuf issues without soaking it with oil.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use this one

I got one like that, just channel lock, but OP stated he had some medical issues and was looking at an easier alternative. So my thought is an adjustable filter wrench style that he can put on the end of 3/8" extensions, without having to reach up, which U know is a major PITA, especially for me, as all I have is ramps to drive truck up on to do change. Which is why I posted the link in a prior post.

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6-speed, short bed, 392gears
Engine
I battle a neurological disorder that has left me w/weakness in my hands & feet. Just serviced my 17' Ram 1500 SLT.

1. Get a set of ramps, 7000lbs. *if equipped w/4wd, once lined up w/ramps, I liked to shift into 4'low. Once 4-lo is engaged the trucks idle speed automatically bumps up to 700 RPM's. It crawls up the ramps on it's own, all you have to worry about is stepping on the brake once you drop into that sweet spot. You'll kno it once you drop into it!
2. I used the rubber strap like device(oil filter removal tool). My Dad used it when I was a kid(it's literally 25yrs old!) There are tons of them out there. Get one w/a medium length handle(8" - 10"), enough to get leverage, but short enough to fit that area. One reason I like the strap device, you can slide it top to bottom anywhere on the filter where you'll have the best dimensional area for the handle of the removal tool to rotate around as you break the filter loose.
3. To hell w/the standard oil catch basins they sell at the auto parts store. I use an old plastic storage bin, like from Costco! It's 20"w × 28"l × 14"d(approx!). It's the perfect length that if you place it just right, you can pull the plug let the engine drain. While draining, move onto the filter.
4. Keep some non recyclable plastic(that's going into the trash anyways, 12" × 14"). Enough to cover your power steering & the cross member that is under the oil filter. They sell rubber mats(in various sizes) for this exact purpose. Have plenty of rags & Brakleen!
5. Now that you're truck is on ramps! And you've pulled you're oil drain plug. Your old storage tub is close, you'll have to adjust tub as the draining slows down.
6. Now you can sit up(on your bum, b/c the front of your truck is on ramps!) under the front of your truck. Take plastic & rags cover anything you think may get some splash on(specifically your electric power steering unit).
7. Install oil filter removal tool, remove oil filter. "I was quite leary, my hands aren't great. I deal w/weakness and dexterity loss, the longer I work, the worse it gets. But it honestly went great." Once you break the filter loose, remove tool, unscrew the filter a couple rotations, not more. Let drizzle out what needs to drizzle out(you're prepared 4 that/the plastic!). Once it's done drizzling, you'll have both hands to unscrew the filter, always supporting the weight. Carefully lower filter down to your tub to safely dump out the remaining oil left in old filter. Wipe clean the area where oil filter is screwed on to.
8. I think you got it from here! Reverse process!

But....a couple tips, reminders!
(A) People really like to prime the new filter(fill new filter up w/oil prior to installation), I do. Also, give the rubber gasket a gentle coat w/the new oil. Speaking of the oil filter gasket! I actually like to double check that old gasket from the old the old filter isn't stuck to engine. I've seen that happen. Screwed a new oil filter on, not realizing the old gasket didn't come off w/the old filter! What a mess! That's why it's a good idea to wipe area clean prior to installation of new oil filter or oil pan plug.
(B) When tightening oil filter, don't Hulk it! Rule of thumb I was always taught, after the rubber gasket makes contact. It's a 3/4 turn from there, not more.
(C) Take care when installing oil pan drain plug. If you cross thread that bolt....... well just don't cross thread it ok! Torque spec for oil pan drain plug is 25ft/lb, or 1 ugga ugga!
(D) Collect all your pastic & rags used, last thing you want is forget a rag and have it get caught in something!
(E) When filling engine w/new oil, don't just dump all 7 quarts back in. I did a "hot flush", went for a good drive b4 I changed my oil. I let my engine drain for 45mins and still had the tiniest drizzle. It's nearly impossible to get all of your old oil out(unless you have two hours!). Keep track of new oil used, especially if you prime your new filter. Once I've used approx. 6.5 quarts, I then lower the truck down off the ramps(disengage 4wd). Get truck level. Check dip stick, add oil accordingly.
*I like 2 b closer to the top holes of the crosshatch area on the dip stick. At 6 quarts 700mls(that includes what I added to the new oil filter prior to installation), I was perfect on my dip stick. So I stopped there. Had I just topped it off to the total 7 quarts, I totally would've been over. Which is not good.
** I know exactly how much I used b/c all the containers I used had measurments w/a sight line up & down the bottle!

I know that was a lot! It reads like it! It felt like a lot b4 the first time I did it. W/my neurological disorder, honestly, I was scared. One step at time, I got it done. You can too!

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never used 4lo to get up ramps. Maybe I'll try it for sheets and giggles.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Turkeybird, how does that "oil udder" work out for you ?

Squirrel1270

Air Force Retired
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Turkeybird, how does that "oil udder" work out for you ?
I tried the oil utter and couldn’t get it to seat. Not enough room. Went back to the gallon sandwich bag.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Reason I use Great Canadian Oil Change stations..take your PUP , Lubeguard and Wix filter..for $75 they do the stuff and no mess for you..money you save on the PUP is worth the cost of the change..imo..
*****... you pay $75 for others to change your oil and filter, and YOU bring the oil and filter, too!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Reason I use Great Canadian Oil Change stations..take your PUP , Lubeguard and Wix filter..for $75 they do the stuff and no mess for you..money you save on the PUP is worth the cost of the change..imo..
I personally pay my dealership drive through oil change service $20 all in for the oil & filter re&re that has me providing my own oil and filter.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep..no mess..no disposal issues..worth it for me with arthritic fingers and a knee replacement on this 75 yr old body..LOL

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had one in my amazon list for a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger. I will have one for my next oil change. I must also recommend, a fumoto valve for easy oil drain https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP5V092/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and an oil funnel designed to screw into the oil filler. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Automoti...am+1500+oil+funnel&qid=1693961219&sr=8-2&th=1

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a bionic arm and hand is useful, I sprang for the extra wrist joint to make it easier to reach into that space. I believe the designers need to take a look at Toyota's 4.0 engine. The filter is at the top of the engine. Even the 74 Pinto had an easier filter to get to than this monster. In 45 years of changing oil this is the worst filter I've had to deal with.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed, it is not the easiest or in the best place IMO. I like our 2020 chevy 1500 we have at work. Filter is right next to the oil pan and drain plug. You can take both off at the same time and drain into 1 pan. The only bad thing about it is the filter is really close to the exhaust and I always change oil when the engine is warm so you have to watch out to not get burned by the exhaust.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I battle a neurological disorder that has left me w/weakness in my hands & feet. Just serviced my 17' Ram 1500 SLT.

1. Get a set of ramps, 7000lbs. *if equipped w/4wd, once lined up w/ramps, I liked to shift into 4'low. Once 4-lo is engaged the trucks idle speed automatically bumps up to 700 RPM's. It crawls up the ramps on it's own, all you have to worry about is stepping on the brake once you drop into that sweet spot. You'll kno it once you drop into it!
2. I used the rubber strap like device(oil filter removal tool). My Dad used it when I was a kid(it's literally 25yrs old!) There are tons of them out there. Get one w/a medium length handle(8" - 10"), enough to get leverage, but short enough to fit that area. One reason I like the strap device, you can slide it top to bottom anywhere on the filter where you'll have the best dimensional area for the handle of the removal tool to rotate around as you break the filter loose.
3. To hell w/the standard oil catch basins they sell at the auto parts store. I use an old plastic storage bin, like from Costco! It's 20"w × 28"l × 14"d(approx!). It's the perfect length that if you place it just right, you can pull the plug let the engine drain. While draining, move onto the filter.
4. Keep some non recyclable plastic(that's going into the trash anyways, 12" × 14"). Enough to cover your power steering & the cross member that is under the oil filter. They sell rubber mats(in various sizes) for this exact purpose. Have plenty of rags & Brakleen!
5. Now that you're truck is on ramps! And you've pulled you're oil drain plug. Your old storage tub is close, you'll have to adjust tub as the draining slows down.
6. Now you can sit up(on your bum, b/c the front of your truck is on ramps!) under the front of your truck. Take plastic & rags cover anything you think may get some splash on(specifically your electric power steering unit).
7. Install oil filter removal tool, remove oil filter. "I was quite leary, my hands aren't great. I deal w/weakness and dexterity loss, the longer I work, the worse it gets. But it honestly went great." Once you break the filter loose, remove tool, unscrew the filter a couple rotations, not more. Let drizzle out what needs to drizzle out(you're prepared 4 that/the plastic!). Once it's done drizzling, you'll have both hands to unscrew the filter, always supporting the weight. Carefully lower filter down to your tub to safely dump out the remaining oil left in old filter. Wipe clean the area where oil filter is screwed on to.
8. I think you got it from here! Reverse process!

But....a couple tips, reminders!
(A) People really like to prime the new filter(fill new filter up w/oil prior to installation), I do. Also, give the rubber gasket a gentle coat w/the new oil. Speaking of the oil filter gasket! I actually like to double check that old gasket from the old the old filter isn't stuck to engine. I've seen that happen. Screwed a new oil filter on, not realizing the old gasket didn't come off w/the old filter! What a mess! That's why it's a good idea to wipe area clean prior to installation of new oil filter or oil pan plug.
(B) When tightening oil filter, don't Hulk it! Rule of thumb I was always taught, after the rubber gasket makes contact. It's a 3/4 turn from there, not more.
(C) Take care when installing oil pan drain plug. If you cross thread that bolt....... well just don't cross thread it ok! Torque spec for oil pan drain plug is 25ft/lb, or 1 ugga ugga!
(D) Collect all your pastic & rags used, last thing you want is forget a rag and have it get caught in something!
(E) When filling engine w/new oil, don't just dump all 7 quarts back in. I did a "hot flush", went for a good drive b4 I changed my oil. I let my engine drain for 45mins and still had the tiniest drizzle. It's nearly impossible to get all of your old oil out(unless you have two hours!). Keep track of new oil used, especially if you prime your new filter. Once I've used approx. 6.5 quarts, I then lower the truck down off the ramps(disengage 4wd). Get truck level. Check dip stick, add oil accordingly.
*I like 2 b closer to the top holes of the crosshatch area on the dip stick. At 6 quarts 700mls(that includes what I added to the new oil filter prior to installation), I was perfect on my dip stick. So I stopped there. Had I just topped it off to the total 7 quarts, I totally would've been over. Which is not good.
** I know exactly how much I used b/c all the containers I used had measurments w/a sight line up & down the bottle!

I know that was a lot! It reads like it! It felt like a lot b4 the first time I did it. W/my neurological disorder, honestly, I was scared. One step at time, I got it done. You can too!
Pull the filter first, let the oil galleries drain.