Hemi Tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe try Redline oil 5w30 if the noise doesn't stop after 500 miles. It's possible that the truck wanted thicker oil or the oil layer is maybe not sufficiency all the time after an oil change. I don't know but one thing is sure the Hemi engines behave like prima donna and sometimes throw a tantrum.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Imo it is. Sometimes it happens to mine after an oil change.I also saw a video on youtube : the man have exactly the same issue after an oil change and the tick goes away after the oil "get dirtied a little"

I sure as **** hope so. I did find it weird that like an hour after I got the oil changed it started happening. My first reaction was that the shop messed something up so I checked my dipstick and it was good. Sounded like it was coming from the belts at first but I am not mechanically inclined at all haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
44k kms so like 20k miles and Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic

I think that’s the earliest I have ever seen, 27k miles. My old 2013 it took 60k miles and that engine sounded like it was going to grenade.
How often do you change your oil?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I literally changed my oil yesterday and it started doing it afterwards. Could it possibly be the oil change?

for sure, that is when the detergents are at thier strongest. Could have cleaned some slime that was keeping them quiet. Or maybe the oil is thinner then the last oil? Possible for sure.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that’s the earliest I have ever seen, 27k miles. My old 2013 it took 60k miles and that engine sounded like it was going to grenade.
How often do you change your oil?

I thought it was pretty early to start making some clicking and clacking. I go by my oil life monitor thing but running full synthetic the highest I’ve changed it at was 10,800 kms and when I would run regular it would be 5-6k I go by my oil life monitor thing tho and once it hits 5% I change it

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for sure, that is when the detergents are at thier strongest. Could have cleaned some slime that was keeping them quiet. Or maybe the oil is thinner then the last oil? Possible for sure.

I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 last time and ran it for 10,800kms before changing it. Maybe I should stick to 1 brand of oil?

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can hear it a bit more distinct in a different video I did about my headlights. Sorry for the language it’s just how I talk.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 last time and ran it for 10,800kms before changing it. Maybe I should stick to 1 brand of oil?

I like the sticking to one brand idea for sure. Find one that quiets that truck down and stick to it.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Imo it is. Sometimes it happens to mine after an oil change.I also saw a video on youtube : the man have exactly the same issue after an oil change and the tick goes away after the oil "get dirtied a little"

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

Yep, you can really hear it from under the truck. Only 1 known cure and that’s Redline oil. I’ve heard a few use conventional oil and it helped but didn’t cure it.
I think a good oil strategy is key for the life of your engine.
What’s the oil market like in your area? How expensive is it to ship oil to Canada?

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, you can really hear it from under the truck. Only 1 known cure and that’s Redline oil. I’ve heard a few use conventional oil and it helped but didn’t cure it.
I think a good oil strategy is key for the life of your engine.
What’s the oil market like in your area? How expensive is it to ship oil to Canada?

I can’t even find redline oil around me when I search on google. Everything is online only and from the states. I’m from province that makes oil but it has no oil, go figure. We get all of our oil from you guys lol. No idea what the price is to ship here. You tryna sell me some of the redline stuff?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I can’t even find redline oil around me when I search on google. Everything is online only and from the states. I’m from province that makes oil but it has no oil, go figure. We get all of our oil from you guys lol. No idea what the price is to ship here. You tryna sell me some of the redline stuff?

No I was just curious what the oil market is up in Canada. I guess were lucky down here, we can get just about any oil we want.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Have you visited the Redline oil site. You can search for dealers. The Partsource in my area carries it. As for the time it takes for Redline to quiet the tick, it can take longer than 500 miles. It took about 3000 kms on mine.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine made that noise, $4000 later and new lifters, new camshaft runs like a champ.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you visited the Redline oil site. You can search for dealers. The Partsource in my area carries it. As for the time it takes for Redline to quiet the tick, it can take longer than 500 miles. It took about 3000 kms on mine.

I’m going to go to a part source or similar kind of store and see if they have some or can order me some. I’m finding red line oil but it’s gear oil. I have warranty left on my powertrain so I’m going to take it to the shop to see what’s up.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I was just curious what the oil market is up in Canada. I guess were lucky down here, we can get just about any oil we want.

Seems like Canada has a limited market compared to the states. Even the stuff we can both get you guys get it for way cheaper.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Seems like Canada has a limited market compared to the states. Even the stuff we can both get you guys get it for way cheaper.

While that is generally true motor oil is one of the few things that is far cheaper to buy in store vs online. Just keep eyes open for sales and stock up a bit when the price is good.