Hemi w/eTorque - Does it jolt the truck when the motor restarts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u103654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorq
Deciding between a regular 1500 Limited with Hemi eTorque or plan Hemi. I had a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with the Start/Stop function and it drove my wife crazy with the jolting of the jeep when it restarted the motor after stopping. Will this be a similar feeling on the Hemi with eTorque or is it not as pronounced?

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
There is a slight move forward when you take your foot off the brake and before you touch the accelerator. I wouldn't call it a jolt, but if it were followed immediately by the acceleration, it would be smoother and not waste the little bit of momentum from the startup. If it's an issue for your wife, definitely let her take one for a test drive.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've driven other vehicles with this and were definitely noticeable. One was a Mini Cooper, the other was a BMW 3 series. Compared to those two cars, the stop/start on my truck is non-existent. It's barely noticeable to me. But I agree with Jim M to have your wife drive it and let her decide that for herself.

Even so, I would opt out of the etorque if I could. It does virtually nothing for my fuel economy with the type of driving I do. I can see how it would benefit someone who does a lot of city driving, but my commute is almost all highway. And there's really only one opportunity for the stop/start to operate. And even then I rarely have to stop there because the light is usually green for traffic traveling in my direction.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I've been driving the eTorque since July 2018. Zero "jolt" when pulling away from a stop. The only oddity is when the stop/start starts while you are still stopped. Like in the summer and the auto a/c needs to start up. It will rock you forward if you are only lightly on the brake.

Chris Karczmit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There’s no jolt. I barely notice it. I’m pretty sure the 2020 limiteds only come with eTorque when you get the hemi option. The 19s you could order without

Munson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It is barely noticeable after a brief adjustment period. I actually noticed that it smoothed out even more with 89 octane.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
It is barely noticeable after a brief adjustment period. I actually noticed that it smoothed out even more with 89 octane.

I just have to ask, why do you think octane rating of the fuel would have anything to do with the startup of E Torque engines? Octane is only one thing and that is resistance too detonation. Its not more powerful fuel or anything like that it just have greater resistance to detonation.

Here is an article I wrote on the topic of octane as it relates to motorcycles.

https://blog.brocksperformance.com/throttle-nation-magazine-the-gas-factor-fuel-options-for-max-hp/

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just have to ask, why do you think octane rating of the fuel would have anything to do with the startup of E Torque engines?
Fuel injection systems in cars are a bit more advanced than what's used in motorcycles.
To a certain degree vehicle fuel injection systems adapt to changes in fuel along how the vehicle is being driven and basically "remember" how much fuel/spark to run smoothly. With a higher octane fuel the ECU will not it have to pull as much timing on restarts.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Can you feel it? Yeah, but it's really nothing at all. Smoothest start/stop I've ever driven. Makes it totally worth it. The older Cherokee you had has the "old style" start/stop. All new FCA vehicles use their "eTorque" system which is crazy smooth.

Plus, I just wondered this week that if this start/stop feature does actually assist with braking too maybe the brake pads will last virtually forever in my truck?

P.S. on octane, remember folks the RAM owners manual recommends 89...
P.P.S. I do notice the weather related start while still stopped does pull a bit, so you can't be light on the brake while stopped or it will tug forward a bit. Again, not really bad at all.

Bottom line, get the eTorque. It's also much more than start/stop. Better MPG, better shifting, better stopping, just better period.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
There’s no jolt. I barely notice it. I’m pretty sure the 2020 limiteds only come with eTorque when you get the hemi option. The 19s you could order without

You can order without, but don't, it's worth it.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the stop/start feature of the ETQ motor uses a 48v/battery/generator belt driven 130ftlb of torque to restart the motor. what some might be experiencing is the difference between a conventional torque starter motor compared to the belt driven 48v/battery/generator. some may even be anticipating the start-up with gas pedal movement to vehicle movement, causing a jolt, kinda like pedalling a golf cart for the first couple of holes while not spilling your coffee.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
no noticable jolt, restart is flawless. Only time you may notice if the engine has to restart while still sitting at the stop light to keep the ac going you may feel yourself having to push down farther on the brake to keep from inching forward.