Hi from Texas!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AshC

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 & 2009
Engine
318, 5.7L Hemi
Hi, I'm Ashley, I live in El Paso, TX currently. I have a 1984 Dodge RAM D150, 318 motor. Other than wiring it runs like a champ...needless to say I hate fusible links and all the mess going with it.
The motor has been overhauled at 82k miles, has 125k on the odometer. New transmission with about 300 miles on it before the wiring took a dump on me and it wouldn't start consistently. I've had this truck for 12 years and obviously drive something new for everything else.
Anyway, I joined up because we are doing some modifications to it. I got someone to do the dirty work on the wiring because I suck at it. After the initial ignition switch broke it's been a pain ever since, it's had 3 total. First one tumbler broke and didn't need a key to start it, second one worked but my moms dog ran off with the keys and they were never seen again, and the 3rd one apparently works.
The goal? Hunting/off road/farm truck. It's not like we get a lot of rain so 4x4 isn't necessary. We put 3/4 ton springs on the rear and new coils on the front (someone tried to make it a low rider by heating the coils and the first time I bounced the truck good they snapped) so those had to be replaced, along with the shocks.

Some of the issues I'm running into and not sure how to proceed..

I have 31" tires to put on it (currently has stock 15 inch rims and tires on it), but they rub, a 90 degree turn is a 3 point turn. I figured a body lift would help but finding a body lift is like trying to find .22 LR shells at Walmart! They say they have them, but I can't ever seem to find them!
CD player...uhm, some brilliant individual stole the stock cassette player out of it (but hey they did a good job and didn't tear my dashboard apart!) which my wiring guy is going to look at maybe if I can motivate him.
Debated a cold-air intake but...can't find one to fit it? Also larger shocks because it' rides like an Abrams tank! I wanted off roading shocks but again, stuck with "we don't carry for something that old". I think some other model may fit it but I'd be hard pressed to know whether or not that's true.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 963 My truck _).jpg
    963 My truck _).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 26

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! Lots of knowledge about old trucks here. Some things I can offer as advise.
Radio: there is a kit to install a newer radio in the old trucks, I think you can get it on crutchfield, then just some simple wiring.
Cold air intake: pretty much useless for an old truck like these, just get a new filter and it'll be good.
Tires: I'm pretty much at a loss as you are, I have not dealt with older 2wd trucks. Sorry.
Shocks: you will just have to order online, give Rancho suspension a call and they can probably find a shock for your application.

OP
OP
AshC

AshC

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 & 2009
Engine
318, 5.7L Hemi
Good stuff, thanks! It's more of a play toy, since I have a 2004 Yukon that I drive, but was trying to get it fixed up for my boyfriend to play with. I was wondering if cold air was even useful on something that old, but couldn't find anything contradictory or in favor of it.

I didn't know they had a kit, I just looked at the new Pioneer and said "hmm, this won't plug in, going to leave this to someone who does wiring and won't fry it".
I looked at Rancho briefly, they all look like the stock shocks that came off of it (yeah, it had originals) but maybe calling will help - I'll try that next week when my new hearing aids get in, because nothing like screaming at someone over the phone and not understanding them, lol.

So far I've put a new transmission in it, starter, alternator, springs, exhaust, and new brakes. The body is in great shape (a little surface rust, something to be said about it being in Arizona) and plan on having it painted once all the suspension work is done.

OP
OP
AshC

AshC

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 & 2009
Engine
318, 5.7L Hemi
Found another pic of my beast this morning. :) It's not that tall, you can see it's on blocks (so it wouldn't ruin my tires) but older pic because I've moved it since then lol. Next to it is a 77 Datsun truck that runs but the timing chain needs adjusting.

Oh and one of my regular driver, 4x4 GMC Yukon XL...yeah we took it mud bogging. :)

Attachments

• 999 Kiddos playing in my old truck.jpg
    999 Kiddos playing in my old truck.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 43

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine