HID Bright Flicker Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there. New to the Dodge forums and the world of HID's... So far I've learned that CanBus and HID's don't play well together... I'm having this issue of where my HID lights flicker brighter, almost like I am flicking my high beams on real quick. Not flickering the other way where it flickers on and off then just off... It's really strange and I can't come across anything online with this issue. I have everything installed properly, grounded well, capacitors, relay, resistors.... Just don't know what's going on... Has anyone ever experienced this?

FYI I am using aftermarket projector headlights.
I have attached pictures of the headlights I bought and how they are seated in my truck. They look great, just this backwards flickering issue is killing me!

Attachments

• Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Which hid kit do you have? Ballast info, bulbs and relay harness?

What year truck also, I'm on the tapatalk.

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
God I wish I had that info... Horrible start I had to HID's. I got the kit from a local shop... Then upon installing I fugured I should leave it to someone that knows about this stuff. I then brought my truck to a nearby place and they installed the kit that I had bought... But had this flickering problem. I then brought it back and they installed resistors. Didn't solve the problem. I then contacted a reputable mobile audio guy and he came by and saw the mess the last place left under my hood. He then reinstalled everything and actually hard wired everything and mounted the ballasts properly. But low and behold still the same issue... I'm so lost. My truck year is a 2016 Ram 1500

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Contact jj at retroshop.us
He is a vender here and very knowledgeable. Hopefully all you need is a special relay harness made for the new ram.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as adurm has stated sounds like you need a relay harness. I have a 2015 and have relay harnesses for my lows and my fogs(both hid). Rams are fine with hid's if you have the relay harness. JJ will know for sure but if it's like the 15's you will need a relay harness and a double resistor pack for each side. Hope this helps

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, my harness is a relay harness. I know there's a relay in line also with the fuse. I have a capacitor in the mix on both sides but there's one thing you mentioned that throws up a flag... I have a 35 resistor on both sides... But just one per side. You mention two for each side? Could this likely be the issue!? Would you know off hand why there needs to be two resistors on each side? And yes, I have my eyes on retroshop's harness system in last resort. After dumping almost $600 into this HID project I'm determined to try every avenue before I spend another 200. Thanks for all your help and input so far guys!

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And just an additional FYI, I am only adding this HID to my lows if that makes a difference.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One is for the flicker and the other for the warning on the dash. Sorry you dropped so much to still have issues. You could have got everything from JJ for lows/highs and had some money left over

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good! Ya live, ya spend, ya learn! Lol

So I was under the impression that the dash warning was taken care of by the capacitors and the flicker was taken care of by a resistor. Could this have been wrong info fed to me considering my vehicle?

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They seemed to have fit but then again I never installed the actual bulbs. It was always someone else that installed the bulbs. I should actually pull this apart and take a look if they're seated properly because honestly the beam pattern looks a little wonky. And I've heard of that issue before so it might be worth it for me to take some time out and pull this apart to see what's going on.

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to take a picture of the beam pattern at night tonite and post it this way you could see what I'm talking about.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to take a picture of the beam pattern at night tonite and post it this way you could see what I'm talking about.
Please do, take a pic or two from the light pattern hitting the wall from approx 15-25 feet away.

I was under the impression that that hid bulbs would be a smudge to long for the spyders.

My hid kit is coming in next week and I'll test fit one and see. I've the same headlights but in black.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I ran the Spyders the H1 hid bulbs fit with no problems. I was using the Morimoto's but no issues.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And, the customer service from vipmotoz actually told me to use hid's instead of led's.

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately I've had an extremely busy day today so I couldn't remember to take a pic of my beams, but I did manage to sneak in a purchase of the correct kit from retroshop!!!! Now I will wait patiently for it to come in, swap them out and then see if everything works better than it does! I'll also remember to take a pic of my beam pattern tomorrow night! Guarantee they are not aligned well, these aftermarket headlights are going to be impossible to adjust considering the adjustment screws are BEHIND them!!!! Not on top, yes you heard me correctly... They are located in the back! The only way I can think of to adjust these beams are to have the headlights unscrewed and then pull them out to adjust them and then place them back to see if it did justice. Smh... Would anyone happen to know a trick to adjusting these in this situation? Usually the adjustments are located towards the top where u can reach them!

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately I've had an extremely busy day today so I couldn't remember to take a pic of my beams, but I did manage to sneak in a purchase of the correct kit from retroshop!!!! Now I will wait patiently for it to come in, swap them out and then see if everything works better than it does! I'll also remember to take a pic of my beam pattern tomorrow night! Guarantee they are not aligned well, these aftermarket headlights are going to be impossible to adjust considering the adjustment screws are BEHIND them!!!! Not on top, yes you heard me correctly... They are located in the back! The only way I can think of to adjust these beams are to have the headlights unscrewed and then pull them out to adjust them and then place them back to see if it did justice. Smh... Would anyone happen to know a trick to adjusting these in this situation? Usually the adjustments are located towards the top where u can reach them!

From what I have been reading, that's the only way to adjust. Sucks, and will take more time, just be patient.

I'm going to be doing a retrofit into a set of spider lights(parts are all on order)

OP
OP
ZombieBraains

ZombieBraains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Horrible placement for adjustments! Ugh! Smh

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics