Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

HID requirements

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Dfault, Oct 9, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. Dfault

Dfault Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have been reading all night and morning long to try and get a clear answer on what I need to run 55W HID's on my ram.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic (which is why im posting in the 4th gen area.)

I do not have projectors, I have the quad housing(I'm not sure if that's correct but I don't have high and lows in one bulb.)

I want to order from DDM tuning but they're recommending the 35W can bus but I don't want 35W I really want to run the 55W because that's what I've always used in everything I've ever owned since 2008.

So, how do I prevent my truck from acting up when I install the 55W DDM tuning HID kit? I don't want to get extra wires, but I read somewhere about an AlphaOBD.

Is that all that I'm going to need? the HID kit and the AlphaOBD?

2. Elevated 2013

Elevated 2013 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    It doesn’t matter which headlight housings you have, but if you take a picture of them and post it we can tell you what you have.

I just did the same thing as you’re wanting to do except I have a 2013 1500 Sport with OEM projectors and I went with a 35w kit because I didn’t want to risk possible wiring damage from too much electricity heating the wires up too much. I installed the basic Innovited 35w 5000k HID kit from Amazon with slim ballasts. What you will need is the kit that you want and AlphaOBD and OBDLink MX+ (from Amazon). You need AlphaOBD and the OBDLink MX in order to turn on the ability to use the HIDs because no dealer will do it for you because of “safety reasons”. Otherwise they will hyper flash like a cop car for a minute and then shut off and you won’t have headlights. Or you have to buy the Canbus and anti-flickering harness and then cut the seals to your headlights to allow for more wiring to go through them and possibly allow moisture into them and find space for modules behind the headlights.

I might get knocked down but you better be gone when I get up!

2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab, 4” Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x17 ProComp AT Sport tires, ProComp shocks and struts, Modify Street 2019 style polished black projector headlights, 3.92 differentials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampad likes this.
  3. Dfault

Dfault Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Ok so is AlphaOBD an app and the MXlink+ the module that I need to buy?

4. Elevated 2013

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Correct about AlphaOBD. It’s an android app for your phone or a Windows app for a laptop that costs $49 either way. It’s good for a lot of things including reading why lights on your dashboard come on and helping you to diagnose them. Like check engine lights, ABS lights, air bag lights, etc. but in order for you to make it work, you need the OBDLink MX+ to plug into the diagnostic port on your truck under the dash to connect to the computers in the truck and send them back to the app. It’s super simple as I just did it yesterday. There are 3 versions of the OBDLink module but being in IT and a Tim Taylor (from the tv show Home Improvement years ago) I went for the highest/best version, the MX+. That was $79 on Amazon. The other 2 versions aren’t much cheaper so I figured I’d just go with the best one.

There are a lot of guys on here that are super helpful with the tool and settings for the HIDs and either I can or they can send you the exact steps to change the settings for them in an easy step by step procedure once you get the tool.

2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab, 4” Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x17 ProComp AT Sport tires, ProComp shocks and struts, Modify Street 2019 style polished black projector headlights, 3.92 differentials

Dfault and Rampad like this.
  5. Dfault

Dfault Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Well I guess I need to go buy an android phone to use the app. Everything I own is freaking Apple.

And yeah, those steps would be amazing to have! I'm new to the Ram world I didn't need any of this on my Chevrolets!

6. Elevated 2013

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Do you have a Windows laptop? If it has Bluetooth you can use that. Or go buy a pay as you go phone from Best Buy. You won’t need to activate it. You just need it to have Bluetooth capabilities and to be able to go onto your home wireless network to download the app. Also, tablets with android or the Fire Kindles work as well. The device just needs either a Windows or Android operating system and Bluetooth.

7. madtrucker2016

madtrucker2016 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Go to Headlight Revolution.com I put them in my Ram. Not one problem with the canbus this set of H I D lights are plug and play and lifetime warranty on lamps and ballast. My Ram using 55 watt in driving and 35 watt fog both 5,000 k color pure white

8. OC455

OC455 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi Big Horn
    I'm running Morimoto XB55 50w ballasts and Morimoto XB50 D2S 50w bulbs. I used AlfaOBD and changed the setting to High Intensity Discharge present in the Car Configuration. I'm also running LED projectors in the high beam position and set that to LED in AlfaOBD.

If you have a 2019 Classic, you probably will have to by the bypass wire harness from M2Mods for the OBDII port like the 2018's do along with MX Datalink.

9. Dfault

Dfault Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    What do you mean? Like, I have to buy the Mx Datalink and a harness that connects that to the OBDII?

10. Elevated 2013

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    No. What he meant was the OBDLink MX+ plugs into the data connector under your dash and it will connect to your phone via Bluetooth and through an app called AlphaOBD you can change the settings to your Body Control Module and allow the HIDs to work. Without changing that setting the headlights will hyper flash for a minute and then shut off and you’ll get a message on your dash.