Hidden features?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I don't have a tuner, but if I manually shift to any gear or use tow/haul mode, I've never had the ECO light/MDS come on. Maybe it's 6.4 and/or HD centric? It is very easily recognizable when it is activated and as for mine at least, the two are synonymous.
I believe it has been previously posted that manually selecting a gear (limiting top gear really) or Tow/haul mode automatically disables MDS.

And it has also been posted/stated that the Eco light doesn't directly indicate MDS, just that you are driving economically (it's also on my V6/8spd CC), but if you aren't driving Economically, then MDS won't be able to kick in.

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
On the 2013+ 8.4 Radios, if you tap the clock time, it takes you directly to the option to adjust the time vs digging through the settings.

11ff2688469a925f6f8c59e6b8056f1f.jpg

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I believe it has been previously posted that manually selecting a gear (limiting top gear really) or Tow/haul mode automatically disables MDS.

And it has also been posted/stated that the Eco light doesn't directly indicate MDS, just that you are driving economically (it's also on my V6/8spd CC), but if you aren't driving Economically, then MDS won't be able to kick in.

That could absolutely be true on many different year/model/engine configurations. Taking everyone's own experiences and observations into account, it leads me to believe that different year/model/powertrain configurations may very well be and most likely are programmed differently.

"Driving economically" is a very broad and subjective statement. It seems to me like that would be indicated by some sort of scale or graduated gauge; such as the graphic in the DID showing your instantaneous mpg. Normally, lights are used to indicate an on/off condition. There is no in-between, either it is on or it is off. On my 2016 2500 with the 6.4, the ECO light is undoubtedly related directly to the MDS and nothing else. The MDS/ECO light is just like turning on the turn signal, you can audibly hear it and see it happen.

The following are excerpts from my owner's manual:

This is what the manual says the MDS is:

FUEL SAVER TECHNOLOGY 5.7L/6.4L ENGINES ONLY — IF EQUIPPED
This feature offers improved fuel economy by shutting off four of the engine’s eight cylinders during light load and cruise conditions. The system is automatic with no driver inputs or additional driving skills required.
NOTE: This system may take some time to return to full functionality after a battery disconnect.

This is what the manual says the display is for:

• Fuel Saver Display — If Equipped
This feature will allow you to enable fuel saver mode and will be displayed in the DID. Press the “Fuel Saver Display” button on the touchscreen, until a check-mark appears next to the setting, showing that setting has been selected.

As for your 6 banger, the Ram brochure doesn't say it has the MDS/Fuel Saver Technology. It has four valves per cylinder instead of two, unlike the Hemis. The available engines are:

3.6L Pentastar® Flex Fuel 24V VVT V6 / 8HP45 8-speed automatic
3.0L EcoDiesel V6 / 8HP70 8-speed automatic
5.7L HEMI® V8 with VVT and MDS/Fuel Saver Technology / 65RFE 6-speed automatic
5.7L HEMI V8 with VVT and MDS/Fuel Saver Technology / 8HP70 8-speed automatic

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. Just stating facts and behavior I have observed in my own truck. Hopefully it helps us all understand how Ram is changing our vehicles without giving us the specifics.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I thought my ESC button was acting up... as it turn out, there are different modes!

ESC Operating Modes
NOTE: Depending upon model and mode of operation,
the ESC system may have multiple operating modes.
ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for the ESC. When- ever the vehicle is started, the ESC system will be in this mode. This mode should be used for most driving conditions. Alternate ESC modes should only be used for specific reasons as noted in the following paragraphs.
Partial Off
The “Partial Off” mode is intended for times when a more spirited driving experience is desired. This mode may modify TCS and ESC thresholds for activation, which allows for more wheel spin than normally al- lowed. This mode may be useful if the vehicle becomes stuck.

To enter the “Partial Off” mode, momentarily push the “ESC Off” switch and the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate. To turn the ESC on again, momentarily push the “ESC Off” switch and the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will turn off.
NOTE: For vehicles with multiple partial ESC modes a momentary button push will toggle the ESC mode. Multiple momentary button pushed may be required to return to ESC On.
NOTE:
• When in “Partial Off” mode, the TCS functionality of ESC, (except for the limited slip feature described in the TCS section), has been disabled and the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will be illuminated. When in “Partial Off” mode, the engine power reduction feature of TCS is disabled, and the enhanced vehicle stability offered by the ESC system is reduced.
STARTING AND OPERATING 629
• Trailer Sway control (TSC) is disabled when the ESC system is in the “Partial Off” mode.
Full Off – If Equipped
This mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only and should not be used on any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC features are turned OFF. To enter
the “Full Off” mode, push and hold the “ESC Off” switch 5 for five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine running. After five seconds, a chime will sound,
the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate, and the “ESC OFF” message will display in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). To turn ESC ON again, momentarily push the “ESC Off” switch.
NOTE: System may switch from ESC Full Off to Partial mode when vehicle exceeds a predetermined speed. When the vehicle speed slows below the predetermined speed the system will return to ESC Full Off.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On the 2013+ 8.4 Radios, if you tap the clock time, it takes you directly to the option to adjust the time vs digging through the settings.

I will have to see if I can remember that. My clock needs to be adjusted about once a month or maybe two because it doesn't keep time (8.4A, no N).

Slightly tangent (as I don't know if the AN units get their time from GPS), on my 2009 MB CLS you could only change the time in half hour increments to account for different time zones. It KNEW what time it was (via GPS) and you don't argue mit Herr MB.

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will have to see if I can remember that. My clock needs to be adjusted about once a month or maybe two because it doesn't keep time (8.4A, no N).

Slightly tangent (as I don't know if the AN units get their time from GPS), on my 2009 MB CLS you could only change the time in half hour increments to account for different time zones. It KNEW what time it was (via GPS) and you don't argue mit Herr MB.
My MB C300 with NAV is the same way, you get to pick your time zone (and whether you use DST, if I recall) and that's it.

I'll have to check my truck. I have the 8.4A but it has the NAV upgrade so I'm not sure what the options are now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Today on my RA4 8.4NA Radio I noticed while using the Navigation if you "touch" the litle next turn guide in the upper left corner the radio speaks the turn and distance that is coming up !

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My MB C300 with NAV is the same way, you get to pick your time zone (and whether you use DST, if I recall) and that's it.

I'll have to check my truck. I have the 8.4A but it has the NAV upgrade so I'm not sure what the options are now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
My NAV upgraded RA3 gets its time from the GPS.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

MR.Z06

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DOH!
Took me a week to find this.

Auto Entry/Exit Suspension — If Equipped When this feature is selected, the driver can choose to automatically lower the vehicle from ride height position when the vehicle is shifted to park. To change the mode status press the “Auto Entry/Exit Suspension” button on the touchscreen until a check-mark appears next to setting, showing that setting has been selected.

I've just been pushing the button every time.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
DOH!
Took me a week to find this.

Auto Entry/Exit Suspension — If Equipped When this feature is selected, the driver can choose to automatically lower the vehicle from ride height position when the vehicle is shifted to park. To change the mode status press the “Auto Entry/Exit Suspension” button on the touchscreen until a check-mark appears next to setting, showing that setting has been selected.

I've just been pushing the button every time.

Can you please describe where you actually found this. I dont believe I have it.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will have to check it out!!
Full off is only available on 4wd equipped vehicles. It automatically turns off in 4low, and you can manually turn it off on 4 high, but it will turn back on after reaching a certain speed, 35 i think.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MR.Z06

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you please describe where you actually found this. I dont believe I have it.

Well I found it in the owners manual but now I can't find it in settings.
I may have spoken too soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500