High-mount brake light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, this weekend, I took off the "high-mount" lens from the back of the cab to replace the mini bulbs inside. Admittedly, I was kinda surprised to see that there were four in there.

The outer bulbs seemed to be intact, one of the inner bulbs behind the red lens was literally exploded, the other was burned. I replaced all 4 them and the "brake" bulbs work as they should (now making my truck probably the only 20+ year-old truck in the county in which these lights actually work, LOL), but the outer ones don't still seem to do anything.

I've tried to trigger the outer ones via every means I could think: turning on the headlight switch, putting a weight on the brake pedal, turning on the blinkers, putting the transmission into reverse (which did turn on the reverse lights in the taillight housings, of course), but still nothing on the little buggers up top.

My question is when are the outer lights in this assembly supposed to activate? The lens is clear in front of those ones, so I thought for sure they would turn on when the truck is in reverse, but they aren't doing anything.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep, you're right. And all this time I read "cargo dome" above the wheel as one word that simply referred to just the interior dome light.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Reactions: Mop

Chiefrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Not trying to hijack a thread, but it seems relevant, so...

Does anyone know of a source for a new OE type lens and gasket for the high mount brake light? My '97 looks pretty darn good, and I recently replaced the headlights, fog lamps and new rear lenses. The original high mount lens is pretty yellowed, just want to get this last detail- thanks!

Reactions: Mop